PDA

View Full Version : Fanboyism

samjh
September 2nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Fanboyism in Linux communities: good or bad?

Vote, lest a penguin-suited fanboy pounce on you during dead of night and brand your forehead with Linus Torvald's autograph!

Dharmachakra
September 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
It's a great source of entertainment.

Greg
September 2nd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Sure, why not? I'm opinionated, why shouldn't I state it.

JillSwift
September 2nd, 2009, 05:02 AM
Sure, why not? I'm opinionated, why shouldn't I state it.
Fanboyism isn't about the wish to be heard, it's about the inability to listen.

PurposeOfReason
September 2nd, 2009, 05:03 AM
They've fun for the first few posts, then it's all downhill.

hanzomon4
September 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM

That's some kungfu ish right there =D>

RiceMonster
September 2nd, 2009, 05:05 AM
Fanboyism exists everywhere. On some music sites if you post saying you don't like band x, you'll start a huge flame war. I know this about Linux fanboyism, but I felt I'd point that out.

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2009, 05:08 AM
The term is over used . As soon as you state support for product X you are accused of being a fan boy.

It makes me want to run some people down with my chair :evil:

Skripka
September 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM

Listening? I'm always right. What is there to listen to? ;)

RiceMonster
September 2nd, 2009, 05:10 AM

What was that? I can't hear you over my factual opinions.

JillSwift
The term is over used . As soon as you state support for product X you are accused of being a fan boy.

I had no idea you were an X fanboy.

*grins*
*ducks*
*runs*

samjh

+1 for intellectual input. You sir/madam, have my respects.

Post of the day.

Greg

I've found that if you yell into a cave, you can hear some very good advice.

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM

*grins*
*ducks*
*runs*

grrrrrrrrrr

Dammit the wheels are caught in the deck:D

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2009, 05:13 AM

I like that

samjh
September 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM

Guy Outside Cave: "Anybody in there?!"

Guy Inside Cave: "Shut up!"

mamamia88
September 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
I hate fanboys. fanboys in my opinion are people who unwilling to consider better alternatives may exist and won't hear arguments against there personal stance.

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM

It makes me want to run some people down with my chair :evil:LOL!...

"fan boy, troll, spam, etc. etc"; there are many overused, over defined terms that lean towards generalizations and limitations on knowledge and understanding.

I've found that if you yell into a cave, you can hear some very good advice.Especially, if you wake up the sleeping bear in the cave!

Greg
September 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM

*grins*
*ducks*
*runs*

The urge to link to some kmandla blogposts talking about how he ditched X in favor of screen-vs and framebuffer is growing...

zer010
September 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I agree with "Swift". Fanbois are like children that are so full of their own thoughts, that they ignore anything else being said. However, fans can definitely get the fire stoked! Just don't burn your self! :P

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
I agree with "Swift". Fanbois are like children that are so full of their own thoughts, that they ignore anything else being said. However, fans can definitely get the fire stoked! Just don't burn your self! :P
Just listen for the sound of one hand clapping. ;)

Giant Speck
September 2nd, 2009, 05:21 AM
The term fanboy is used far too often and is often misused, especially on these forums. I've seen people being called a fanboy simply for disagreeing on a small point.

The same situation tends to occur with the word troll.

All in all, people are far too quick to call people names rather than engage in intelligent conversation.

RiceMonster
September 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
The same situation tends to occur with the word troll.

Agreed. "Troll" as a word is even more abused than "fanboy". The best part is, if someone disagrees with another they'll call them a troll, but then they'll keep arguing. If they're a troll, why are you arguing with them in the first place?

Viva
September 2nd, 2009, 05:25 AM

+1

I have seen worse windows `fanboyism` on this board than linux fanboism. The holier-than-thou attitude of the anti-linuxfanboyism lot is far more than annoying than any linux fanboyism I've seen here or anywhere.

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
Agreed. "Troll" as a word is even more abused than "fanboy". The best part is, if someone disagrees with another they'll call them a troll, but then they'll keep arguing. If they're a troll, why are you arguing with them in the first place?
It would be nice to see less use of such words: especially fanboy, troll and spam; much the way Newbie is used less and less once it was seen as a dirty word.

JDShu
September 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
I thought "Newbie" is used less cause its been replace by "noob"?

I have no opinion of fanboyism, if I read a comment I don't like I skip it. Overzealousness is a problem I find more in myself than others anyway. (My friend is telling me about the wonderful tool of hijackthis, which apparently helps remove spyware from Windows... All I can do to keep my mouth shut.)

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
I thought "Newbie" is used less cause its been replace by "noob"?

LOL!...I forgot about noob, you may be right perhaps it was just replaced?

What would we replace fanboy, troll and spam with?

I have no opinion of fanboyism, if I read a comment I don't like I skip it. Overzealousness is a problem I find more in myself than others anyway. (My friend is telling me about the wonderful tool of hijackthis, which apparently helps remove spyware from Windows... All I can do to keep my mouth shut.)With a great big Cheshire Cat grin inside ;)

...'Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.

`I don't much care where--' said Alice.

`Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.

~ Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

pissedoffdude
September 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
I dunno, but I see 'fanboyism' as a part of human nature. A lot of people are arrogant and wish to impose their beliefs on others, without seeing them from another person's perspective.

It exists in almost everything. Just look at religious fundamentalists, dogmatic atheists, mac vs pc vs linux people, music fanboys, etc..

I believe it's neither good nor bad, at least to the linux community, because these 'fanboys' are found everywhere.

If you want to say linux fanboys or pc fanboys are bad, then you might as well say arrogant people are bad and exclude the word 'fanboy' to begin with.

t0p
September 2nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
I used to be a fanboy.

Now I'm a fanman.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127134&stc=1&d=1251872158

Giant Speck
September 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
I used to be a fanboy.

Now I'm a fanman.

That picture is nowhere near large enough...

koshatnik
September 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Fanboyism in Linux communities: good or bad?

Vote, lest a penguin-suited fanboy pounce on you during dead of night and brand your forehead with Linus Torvald's autograph!

Good thing. It allows me to pick out people to avoid/punch/point and laugh at/run over in my car depending on my mood and their annoyance levels. :D

chucky chuckaluck
September 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
it's nice to find something one can be very excited and enthusiastic about, but, like public displays of affection, it can get annoying for the rest of the world when the newly smitten says "i love you" for the 100th time in ten minutes.

automaton26
September 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Fanboy monkeys have some entertainment value, but they get boring quickly. You can't have a reasonable discussion with a brick wall.

And I expect their ratio in the population decreases with age - how many active zealots are over 40 ?

IMHO, it's probably just a "certain sort of frustration".

bodyharvester
September 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Fanboys listen to all opinions, they just dont have a good enough grasp of any language to formulate a clear and understandable argument. I am of course thinking of the youtube flame wars. This leads to confusion and as children who are yet incapable of expressing themselves in any other way, lashing out at those who do not deserve it.

XubuRoxMySox
September 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
I wonder if the term isn't a little bit sexist. Not all rabid fans are boys, y'know. ;)

-Robin

samjh
September 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
I wonder if the term isn't a little bit sexist. Not all rabid fans are boys, y'know. ;)

-Robin

Are you a fan-mmenazi?

I used to be a fanboy.

Now I'm a fanman.

That's a fanwoman. Unless if she/it is trans-sexual, in which case it is a fanomenon.

*runs fast*

JillSwift
September 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
fanomenon
Boop-oo-be-doo-doo!
fanomenon
boop booti-doo!
fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkGXuiT55w)omenon
Bopp-boo-be-dooty-de-dooty-be-boop be dooty-doo! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkGXuiT55w)

sydbat
September 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
What would we replace fanboy, troll and spam with?How 'bout this

or this

or

************************************************** ***, *****************

BTW, these are not censored words, just me being silly to make it look like censored words...

chucky chuckaluck
September 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
fanperson

XubuRoxMySox
September 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
fanperson

fan

Tristam Green
September 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
fandango

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM

-Robin'Boy' also holds a very derogatory and racist meaning to it (also, in many countries this word is still considered offensive to this day!).

Boy

–noun

8. Disparaging and Offensive. a man considered by the speaker to be inferior in race, nationality, or occupational status.

9. a young male servant; page.

10. Offensive. (in India, China, Japan, etc.) a native male servant, working as a butler, waiter, houseboy, etc.http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Boy?&sourceid=Mozilla-search

So fan boy is essentially a sexist, racist (and boy very offensive term used in many countries to this day) term.

How about:

Fan being

or

fan entity

or even:

fan bot - even though a bot may not be posting the person could be acting like a bot.

or

Fan Viking (reference to the infamous Viking song)

or just

Viking

Greg
September 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Come on everyone, think pragmatics, not semantics.

Groucho Marxist
September 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Being a "fanboy" of anything equates to being overwhelmingly biased positively or negatively towards a given subject. As such, this results in skewed perceptions on any issues that deserve attention and rectification within the community. For example, if every Linux programmer did not take a moment to view what worked and what did not work with every new release, the OS would consequently suffer.

Jesus_Valdez
September 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Is always useful to have some fanboy near, spice things up.

DeadSuperHero
September 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I find that eventually, people outgrow their zealotry and realize the thing that they love is fine the way it is, but they also understand the problems of forcing it on people. History of humanity right there, basically.