PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GeForce GT240M

NertSkull
September 2nd, 2009, 03:16 AM
So I got my new laptop today (ASUS N51vn) which has been great. First thing I did was strip off vista and put on ubuntu. I'm trying to get everything optimized and I have discovered my graphics card appears to not be supported fully.

I'm still learning this stuff so anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. The "native" resolution of the screen is supposed to be 1366X768 but I can only get the display manager to get up to 1280X720.

Can I get my resolution to 1366/768?? Also I'm used to seeing an nvidia driver installed under the Hardware Drivers but nothing is listed there. I know the GT240M is relatively new, is that the problem?

Like I said, any help getting this figured out would be awesome. I love ubuntu and don't want to go to windows because of poor screen resolution I am getting right now. Thanks everyone.

dk75
September 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
You must install newest beta driver from nVidia - only 190.32 works with new nVidia GT200M series
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

XMAG
October 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Are you having any other issues?? I might be buying one in december, but Ubuntu compatibility is a major concearn for me. Can you describe your experience with N51VN and Ubuntu so far??

NertSkull
November 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah I have had some other issues but nothing major like the video drivers. The system fan sometimes comes on full speed when booting up and won't ever go off. So I just immediately restart (before even finishing booting) a few times until it doesn't come on any more.

Other problems are super minor and probably not problems for others (i.e. I'm not a huge fan of only 768 pixel height, but I knew that before buying and this isn't my primary computer).

NVIDIA released new drivers just a few days ago for this video card (GT240M) and they did NOT fix the problems. I still have to use the workaround. Here is the link of what I did to get the video drivers to work (notice this link is for the old video drivers, 180.25, but I did the same thing with the new ones, 194.2)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2079295

Here is a link to the other thread with the continued problems I have had with the video card even after some fixes. Although this has no solution yet, hopefully I'll get it figured out somewhat soon.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306649

Overall? If I was doing it again I would probably go with another model other than the N51VN. I must say I did install Win7 and it works just great on it through dual boot. But I think knowing what I know now I probably would have gone with another Asus (probably the G51 or something around that for a bit more money).

Let me know if you want more specifics.

XMAG
November 5th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Thanks for taking your time to advise me ;)

Actually I'd like to know about every little bug or things you couldn't get working... The only thing I won't really care about is the card reader, if that doesn't work on ubuntu I wont mind really.

What about the webcam? Did you get it to work under ubuntu? That would be nice to have...

If you can think of any other problems Id appreciate.

THANKS!

PS: I'm also planning on downgrading to XP, don't know if you tried that, but if you did, do you have any tips?