PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's "Marketing"

daemon3
September 2nd, 2009, 02:03 AM
I was having a discussion (okay, an argument:oops:) with a friend about Ubuntu. She said that she didn't want Ubuntu because it's not compatible with Windows and nobody uses it (Nobody uses it? 20 million is nobody?). I know that Ubuntu is very compatible with Windows.
My point is that I think Ubuntu should try to advertise more how it's compatible with Windows. That might be one of the myths people have about Linux: "Oh no! I won't be able to read my email! I won't be able to edit Word documents! Bye, bye music collection! Facebook won't work at all!" :D
What does everybody else think?:confused:

NormanFLinux
September 2nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
People are afraid of Ubuntu. They think its hard to set up and its harder to use than Windows. What they don't know is its free. Try that argument with Windows. Microsoft still does not want you to download Windows - they force you to buy retail boxes and litter the landscape with throw away packaging. Ubuntu comes just in Ship-it sleeves but if you can't wait, you can download and install it immediately. No Microsoft won't do that because its the aristocrat of the software world. Ubuntu is just for the Little People!

CJ Master
September 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM
People are afraid of Ubuntu. They think its hard to set up and its harder to use than Windows. What they don't know is its free. Try that argument with Windows. Microsoft still does not want you to download Windows - they force you to buy retail boxes and litter the landscape with throw away packaging. Ubuntu comes just in Ship-it sleeves but if you can't wait, you can download and install it immediately. No Microsoft won't do that because its the aristocrat of the software world. Ubuntu is just for the Little People!

Yea! Micro$haftz SUX!1!! DOWN WIT PALMER!

hockeytux
September 2nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
I was having a discussion (okay, an argument:oops:) with a friend about Ubuntu. She said that she didn't want Ubuntu because it's not compatible with Windows and nobody uses it (Nobody uses it? 20 million is nobody?). I know that Ubuntu is very compatible with Windows.
My point is that I think Ubuntu should try to advertise more how it's compatible with Windows. That might be one of the myths people have about Linux: "Oh no! I won't be able to read my email! I won't be able to edit Word documents! Bye, bye music collection! Facebook won't work at all!" :D
What does everybody else think?:confused:

Quite a familar discussion for me as well. However not Ubuntu specific but more Linux in general. Though now, as Ubuntu is so user-friendly its much easier to convince people to try it out by installing it dual-boot as a first step.

And 9.10 is supposed to have a nicer default theme making it yet easier to convince people.

juancarlospaco
September 2nd, 2009, 03:38 AM
You don't need responses, you got facts...
In example installing a printer in Ubuntu, 2 clicks with Test page included
:)

hockeytux
September 2nd, 2009, 03:41 AM
You don't need responses, you got facts...
In example installing a printer in Ubuntu, 2 clicks with Test page included
:)

Yeah thats how I approach it... show people where everything is and wow them :D

AllRadioisDead
September 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Why are you even bothering getting into an argument? It sounds like you're trying to force someone into something they're clearly not interested in.
Linux is not Windows. Period.

juancarlospaco
September 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
Yep...,
i never use the Terminal (on my netbook) at all,
i got some additional GUI installed to specific tasks,
but the purpose is to show that no need to use Terminal.

I don't know these Virus, AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, AntiSomething things.

No need of Driver CDs,
no need of Serial Numbers or complicated Registry Keys.

Unobtrusive Updates on real time,
don't waste time waiting these "installing update 2 of 26, please dont turn off the pc"

If you buy an 4 core PC and only can use 3 applications,
on these Windows Home, Starter, whateverlimiteddemo