PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install beryl.

GroogFish
September 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm following all the instructions on this page-
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-beryl-with-latest-nvidia-drivers-in-ubuntu-feisty-fawn.html

And I can't run this line-
sudo apt-get install beryl emerald-themes

I get this error-
micah@micah-comp:~$ sudo apt-get install beryl emerald-themes
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package beryl

Why doesn't ubuntu have install files that does all this terminal stuff for you?

oldos2er
September 2nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
Are you running 7.04? It's support ended long ago; you should probably update to 8.04 or newer.

Compiz-fusion has been installed by default since 7.10. Enable it via menus System, Preferences, Appearance, Visual Effects.

GroogFish
September 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have 8.04 and I can go to the visual effects but this doesn't look at all like the beryl I see on youtube. The only thing that happens is everything looks liquid when I move it.

oldos2er
September 2nd, 2009, 01:54 AM
Install the package compizconfig-settings-manager, which will give you greater control over compiz plugins.

presence1960
September 2nd, 2009, 03:23 AM
Install the package compizconfig-settings-manager, which will give you greater control over compiz plugins.

+1

in addition you can install simple-ccsm as well.

BTW beryl has been merged and is now know as compiz.

nogoodreason
September 27th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I'd like to nominate this thread to be stickied in the Absolute Beginners forum. I'd been trying to activate the YouTube-hyped Beryl for weeks before coming across this thread, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thanks for finally bringing some life to my Linux experience. :) And here's hoping the next release will have this stuff pre-installed instead of just leaving it at the option of "wobbly windows".