PDA

View Full Version : Problems with QWERTY.

dragos240
September 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM
It's really funny now. I use dvorak the most and now I am mistaking keys on a QWERTY keyboard for keys on a dvorak keyboard :p

Anyone else have this experience.

Bölvašur
September 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
It can be annoying sometimes to use 2 computers at the same time typing one line there and one line there, where 1 pc has dvorak and one qwerty.

Jimleko211
September 2nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
I tried learning Dvorak until I realized that I enjoy having my hands go all over the keyboard. I'm just not used to them sitting in one place. It feels..unnatural.

RabbitWho
September 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
Ah I never heard of that, I just read about it, that would drive me completely demented, I'm at 90 words a minute with qwerty and if I ever had to start again I'd cry. What are the advantages of it?
Being able to type with one hand like the invincible fella in Goldeneye looks like fun.

Anyway this is related: How do you change your keyboard settings in ubuntu? Because my keyboard settings are what I'm used to alright.. but they don't match the pictures. so @ is up the top like a Czech keyboard instead of on the asdf line like on the pictures.. Although I'm of two minds about this because I never look down anyway.. I could just cover the keyboard with Stickers like in "Hackers". Still I'd like to know how to do it because I'd like to install the full Czech keyboard so I can type with those little marks over the letters...

qwerty works anyway because if you cover your keyboard with rub-off sitckers you'll see that the line in the middle rubs off the fastest because in English we use those letters the most... at least I thought so!

Does dvorak limit repetitive stress disorder?

dragos240
September 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
I tried learning Dvorak until I realized that I enjoy having my hands go all over the keyboard. I'm just not used to them sitting in one place. It feels..unnatural.

I can use them both. But Dvorįk is definitely faster. :)

dragos240
September 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Ah I never heard of that, I just read about it, that would drive me completely demented, I'm at 90 words a minute with qwerty and if I ever had to start again I'd cry.

Anyway this is related: How do you change your keyboard settings in ubuntu? Because my keyboard settings are what I'm used to alright.. but they don't match the pictures. so @ is up the top like a Czech keyboard instead of on the asdf line like on the pictures.. Although I'm of two minds about this because I never look down anyway.. I could just cover the keyboard with Stickers like in "Hackers". Still I'd like to know how to do it because I'd like to install the full Czech keyboard so I can type with those little marks over the letters...

I used Preferences > keyboard > layout. I selected Dvorįk, and then clicked Apply System wide.

RabbitWho
September 2nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I used Preferences > keyboard > layout. I selected Dvorįk, and then clicked Apply System wide.

Yay thanks. Everything matches now.
Is Dvorak Dvorak in the Czech or Slovakian sense? Cool beans.

dragos240
September 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
I don't know. But I don't think so.

Jimleko211
September 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
Yeah, Dvorak stops RSI. That's why I vowed to myself that when I got older and wasn't so much of a power typer, I'd learn it so my hands don't hurt all the time and such.

RabbitWho
September 2nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
Yeah, Dvorak stops RSI. That's why I vowed to myself that when I got older and wasn't so much of a power typer, I'd learn it so my hands don't hurt all the time and such.

Wow.. suddenly I'm tempted.. I'm in pain all the time these days.. That makes it sound really bad and usually it's not, but it can be.. Is it possible to know them both and switch back and forth without difficulty?

dragos240
September 2nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
Wow.. suddenly I'm tempted.. I'm in pain all the time these days.. That makes it sound really bad and usually it's not, but it can be.. Is it possible to know them both and switch back and forth without difficulty?

I use QWERTY and Dvorįk. I can switch back and forth.

Jimleko211
September 2nd, 2009, 01:59 AM
From what I understand, once you learn Dvorak for a while you "forget" QWERTY, but every case I've read of that had a Nota Bene saying that if they didn't think about it, they could type QWERTY as flawlessly as they used to.

RabbitWho
September 2nd, 2009, 02:32 AM
From what I understand, once you learn Dvorak for a while you "forget" QWERTY, but every case I've read of that had a Nota Bene saying that if they didn't think about it, they could type QWERTY as flawlessly as they used to.

On a Czech keyboard the y and the z are switched... i can't even get used to going back and forth between these.. so until it's possible to have a mobile keyboard i can just connect to other peoples computers with wifi.. it just isn't practical for me to learn this.I'll just try to type more like I play piano.. it's not really possible on a laptop because if you put your keys low enough you can't see your screen.

Thanks for the information guys!