PDA

View Full Version : OS X is the ONLY system...

decoherence
September 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
....that can completely infuriate me.

I'm sure it's fine if all you're doing is editing your videos or playing WoW.

But try hooking it up to a 3rd party directory server. Try serving up home directories from a 3rd party AFP server. If you don't get absolutely everything perfect the first time around, god help you. Because the error messages and logging (or lack thereof) sure as hell won't. The need to (sometimes) reboot the OpenDirectory server so it sees changes in LDAP won't help you. That two freshly rebooted clients that behave differently on the same network user account won't help you.

Searching for people having similar problems as you won't help you. The error messages (the ones you DO get, when it doesn't just fail silently) are so generic, 90% of the time whatever you find is describing another problem.

All of the nice things that Apple does to hide the system from you WILL NOT HELP YOU and will make you feel helpless before Apple's amazingly narrow logic about how a system should work.

In summary, it amazes me how extremely bad OS X and OS X Server are when you're trying to use them like "real" computers (as in, hooked up to network services which, 99% of the time, aren't running on Apple.)

OK, rant over.

jaxxstorm
September 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM
....that can completely infuriate me.

I'm sure it's fine if all you're doing is editing your videos or playing WoW.

But try hooking it up to a 3rd party directory server. Try serving up home directories from a 3rd party AFP server. If you don't get absolutely everything perfect the first time around, god help you. Because the error messages and logging (or lack thereof) sure as hell won't. The need to (sometimes) reboot the OpenDirectory server so it sees changes in LDAP won't help you. That two freshly rebooted clients that behave differently on the same network user account won't help you.

Searching for people having similar problems as you won't help you. The error messages (the ones you DO get, when it doesn't just fail silently) are so generic, 90% of the time whatever you find is describing another problem.

All of the nice things that Apple does to hide the system from you WILL NOT HELP YOU and will make you feel helpless before Apple's amazingly narrow logic about how a system should work.

In summary, it amazes me how extremely bad OS X and OS X Server are when you're trying to use them like "real" computers (as in, hooked up to network services which, 99% of the time, aren't running on Apple.)

OK, rant over.

The problem with OS X is, it's designed for people who like pretty things like Video editors, music producers, arty types.

These people also seem to be the people who blame everything but themselves when they break something. Most have migrated from Windows because, and I quote

Windows is sh*t, all it does is break

despite the fact it broke because they ended up with a ton of spyware/ and or deleted something the shouldn't and/or they added half a million programs that were all set to run on startup.

What they fail to realise is that OS X is just as easy to break, they just don't have a clue how to do it, and nobody has taken advantage of it yet. When the day comes that OS X gets wild malware (and it will) there will be a massive uproar in the OS X community because these people will be right back where they started - with a broken, sh*t computer. It won't be their fault either

/rant

bear24rw
September 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
i always get frustrated when i use my brother mac..

KiwiNZ
September 1st, 2009, 10:38 PM
This should be posted on an Apple support site