PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Password

joelmhall
September 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I followed the steps to create a 'usb starup disk' with the live CD from 8.10 of Ubuntu. This CD runs correctly on my laptop. I have been able to boot from a usb disk for other Linux versions, namely fedora on this machine. The problem I am having is that when I boot from the Ubuntu 8.10 from the newly created usb boot drive, it asks for a user name and password. I have tried setting the session for Gnome and typing ubuntu and <return> for the password, it does not work. What is the big secret?? Why am I having to try to find a user name and password for a newly installed startup disk? I should be taken through the dialog to create a root password, etc.

Thanks,

Joel Hall

stlsaint
September 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM
are you trying to install or just use as livecd/usb?

joelmhall
September 2nd, 2009, 03:24 AM
This is not for a hard-drive installation. I am wanting to use this for usb boot only.

It seems that the OS is booting properly, I was not able to boot correctly with 9.04. This process of creating the usb drive was easy enough. I could try the more manual method. I haven't done that yet.

I would like this to be as simple as possible. I teach a class that goes over UNIX for a couple of weeks. This would be ideal for students if they want to save their changes and move from machine to machine.