PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Computer can't recognise its IP address?

amanchesterman
September 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm hoping that someone can help me resolve a problem I have every time I start my computer. I'm new to using Linux and I haven't found the answer to this question in these forums so far.

My computer is an old laptop, previously running Windows XP. I installed Xubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) because of memory restrictions, and it works fine: the machine has a new lease of life!

Like many other beginners, I had problems getting this machine to recognise the other machines running Windows XP on our Windows home network. I followed the advice in these forums (especially here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) and have resolved that difficulty successfully. I can now share and exchange files across the network, and can print from the Linux machine to a printer attached to a Windows PC.

However since these changes I now get a warning every time I start the Linux machine: Could not look up internet address for linux-laptop. [That's what I have called this machine on the network.] This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding linux-laptop to the file /etc/hosts on your system.

Of course, I have tried to take the advice in the message, but I don't really know what I'm doing. The Windows workgroup name is mshome, and Network Tools tells me that the IP address of the Linux machine is:

(l0) 127.0.1.1
(eth0) 192.168.2.7

The machine is connected to the network by Ethernet cable.

The content of the /etc/hosts file is as follows:-

127.0.1.1 linux-laptop.mshome
192.168.2.7 linux-laptop.mshome
# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Have I done something wrong, or failed to do something right? I'll be very grateful if anyone can help me solve this!

Brandon Williams
September 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
In your /etc/hosts file, change this:

127.0.1.1 linux-laptop.mshome
to this:

127.0.1.1 linux-laptop.mshome linux-laptop

Also, there should be a line in /etc/hosts for localhost that looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

amanchesterman
September 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Many thanks: I've made those changes to the file and the computer now starts with no problem. :D