PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome to come pre-installed on Sony laptop computers

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM
"...the agreement is Chrome’s first distribution deal with a hardware maker. It’s a serious step in Google’s battle to loosen Microsoft’s grip on the software through which people access the Internet. Google is hoping that increasing adoption of its Web browser will increase adoption of its online applications and search services and decrease usage of competing services from Microsoft...."http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/08/31/googles-chrome-nabs-sony/

...“It’s not so important everyone uses Google Chrome, it’s more important browser technology evolves as fast as it can,” said Mr Rakowski. Chrome set new records in terms of its speed, prompting a race among rivals to boost the performance of their own software....http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/89f80508-9663-11de-84d1-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

Paqman
September 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, i'm inclined to think pre-installing browsers is a backwards step. The EU has been twisting Microsoft's arm to have Windows sold with no default browser, to try and break IE's stranglehold on the market. As long as they make it easy for the user to install their browser of choice i'm all for that.

Could be interesting if they extend the rules to preclude all pre-installed broswers though, as that would sink Google's browser-based Chrome OS before it even got a chance...

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Im not sure if having no preinstalled browser at all is such a good idea. After all, people who buy a Windows machine have no repositories to install a browser from like we do.

Its much better pushing for a FOSS browser preinstalled so after that people can choose if they would like to change.

madnessjack
September 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think this is a neat idea because users will be more secure than if using a Microsoft browser (like most malicious attacks would assume). Chrome is neat and fast and this is why people wont complain.

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
And the Google OS will further diminish Microsoft's hold as they have the financial muscle to promote it heavily - and strike deals with merchants to have it as default OS. It may surpass Ubuntu in user numbers quite quickly...

jeyaganesh
September 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
And the Google OS will further diminish Microsoft's hold as they have the financial muscle to promote it heavily - and strike deals with merchants to have it as default OS. It may surpass Ubuntu in user numbers quite quickly...

True:-({|=

running_rabbit07
September 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
That seems odd, I would figure they had talked Sony into releasing with the full-on Chrome OS.

Oh well, maybe soon. I really wanna see some real competition step out into the market against MS.

Bölvaður
September 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
That seems odd, I would figure they had talked Sony into releasing with the full-on Chrome OS.

Oh well, maybe soon. I really wanna see some real competition step out into the market against MS.

one step at a time my friend, one step at a time.

you will not rush into deals that might affect your revenue with companies you havent dealt with before

madjr
September 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM

at first lots of linux users will get involved (as like any new linux powered project). Then is time to grab on the windows users

I'll offer free support at their forums, but am not likely to abandon ubuntu since it's indeed more open/community oriented project.

i believe that chrome OS/ubuntu will be like what we see with android/maemo (both competing, but at the same time opening doors for each other)

i just really hope we can use offline apps with COS

Paqman
September 1st, 2009, 08:34 PM
Im not sure if having no preinstalled browser at all is such a good idea. After all, people who buy a Windows machine have no repositories to install a browser from like we do.

They've not said yet what mechanism they'd use to get a browser installed, but i'm sure they'll make it as simple as possible.

Shibblet
September 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
How are you supposed to go and get Google Chrome without Internet Explorer?

pwnst*r
September 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
better than IE, so bring it on.

Paqman
September 2nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
better than IE, so bring it on.

Come now, nothing is better than IE!

RabbitWho
September 2nd, 2009, 02:39 AM
There's enough space on modern computers to just have 5 or 6 pre-installed browsers. There could be easy uninstall options on your desktop from the start, so even the the most computer illiterate person in the world can try them out, find what's best for them, and get rid of the others.

Anyway I came into this thread to say: Woo!

Sony PCs seem irrationally expensive though..

When Google OS comes out millions of people will be using Linux and we won't have a special club anymore. But people will see what computers are supposed to be like.. You know.. when you just plug in a printer and then press print and it does.. that kind of stuff.

NormanFLinux
September 2nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
Arora, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari. Lots of browsers to choose from.

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
that seems odd, i would figure they had talked sony into releasing with the full-on chrome os.

Oh well, maybe soon. I really wanna see some real competition step out into the market against ms.

one step at a time my friend, one step at a time.

You will not rush into deals that might affect your revenue with companies you havent dealt with before

+1

Catarina
September 2nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Bah, Windows Update can't work without IE, so how will things be done if Chrome comes as default? And it's not like Chrome is such a great thing, I would choose Safari over it one thousand times and more.

Companies should think about newcomers in this sometimes complicated world for some people, because come think about it, IE's marketshare it's mostly due to the fact that most Windows users know no other thing and probably never will if they're not pointed at it: as someone said before, they do not have great apps like Synaptic to get the process less painful.

But, if this really goes ahead, I expect to see Microsoft's plans to try and overpass Google, as seen with their new web search engine 'Bing', fail.

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Bah, Windows Update can't work without IE, so how will things be done if Chrome comes as default? And it's not like Chrome is such a great thing, I would choose Safari over it one thousand times and more.

Safari in Windows is a bit horrid.

Vakman
September 2nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
Windows Update didn't work in XP without IE. In Windows 7 for sure, it works fine. Vista does not require it as well to my knowledge. If it doesn't, it will have to considering the EU version with a Browser Ballot system. I also love Chrome, so this is very happy though I do like the idea of a browser ballot system much better.

Catarina
September 2nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Safari in Windows is a bit horrid.

For, it's Firefox all the way, over here at my Jaunty and at Vista, but I won't deny my huge dislike for Chrome: even if it means affirming that Safari's better (and it is, on MAC :p).

Windows Update didn't work in XP without IE. In Windows 7 for sure, it works fine. Vista does not require it as well to my knowledge. If it doesn't, it will have to considering the EU version with a Browser Ballot system. I also love Chrome, so this is very happy though I do like the idea of a browser ballot system much better.

I wasn't aware that Windows 7 did not require IE for WU, that was an intelligent move from Microsoft ;) But I do believe it's still needed on Vista. :X

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:29 AM
For, it's Firefox all the way, over here at my Jaunty and at Vista, but I won't deny my huge dislike for Chrome: even if it means affirming that Safari's better (and it is, on MAC :p).Now a default Firefox install would be very nice or even Opera 10.

Vakman
September 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I wasn't aware that Windows 7 did not require IE for WU, that was an intelligent move from Microsoft ;) But I do believe it's still needed on Vista. :X
Yeah, smart move on their part. I will check sometime in the future if it is needed for Vista. I wish all their Windows 7 releases had the browser ballot system though.

Catarina
September 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Now a default Firefox install would be very nice or even Opera 10.

That's why Linux wins. What other OS has Firefox as the default web browser? :popcorn:

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:34 AM
That's why Linux wins. What other OS has Firefox as the default web browser? :popcorn:exactly! :P

C!oud
September 2nd, 2009, 05:34 AM
That's why Linux wins. What other OS has Firefox as the default web browser? :popcorn:

OpenSolaris?

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
opensolaris?
bsd?

pwnst*r
September 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
And it's not like Chrome is such a great thing, I would choose Safari over it one thousand times and more.

why? explain please.

Shibblet
September 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM
For, it's Firefox all the way, over here at my Jaunty and at Vista, but I won't deny my huge dislike for Chrome: even if it means affirming that Safari's better (and it is, on MAC ).

I am curious what it is you don't like about Chrome? It is HANDS-DOWN the fastest web-browser available.

I have XP on my machine at work. I use Chrome for all of my web-browsing, and won't even think about "downgrading" to FireFox, let alone IE, or Opera. I actually miss it from the days I used to run XP on my netbook.

I personally don't need plugins and things that FireFox uses, just some good ol' fashioned bookmarks.

Secondly, I love the fact that every tab is opened as a separate process. If one tab crashes, it doesn't effect any of the other tabs. IE clearly doesn't do that, and FireFox handle's it only so-so.

I can't wait for Google Chrome to be released fully for Linux, I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie.

hanzomon4
September 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
I use Safari in OSX and it's great but Chromium is fantastic. It gets out of the way and the unified bar much better then a seperate search bar in terms of looks and functionality. If it had the Awesome bar features I'd be set

gnomeuser
September 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Sony is smart enough to cut a deal that get them some of Google money and their users a really good browser. I say it's win-win.

This payment to install stuff on OEM machines always seemed harmful to the computing experience, not so much because they did it but because of the quality of the software that is preinstalled. E.g. I think installing a trial version of some antivirus application is doing more harm than good, people feel safe for the month they have it then either forget or ignore that they have to buy a license to get new updates. Or they uninstall it because it caught nothing in the first month and they wrongly assume that there is nothing on the machine a "virus" or "hacker" might want, only to get silently owned days later and become part of a spammers botnet.

This however is different, you get a full browser that never expires nor diminishes, it is automatically kept up to date and it represents both a step up in performance and security for the user. It is a real step to improving the computing experience which is what preinstalling software should primarily be about rather than subsidizing hardware sales.

t0p
September 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
One day you'll all regret your crazed love affair with Google.

I mean come on, you've all seen Terminator haven't you?

gnomeuser
September 2nd, 2009, 08:06 AM

Remind me, did I get the source code for skynet so I could ensure what it did and didn't do.. no didn't think so.

Johnsie
September 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Have you read every line of the source? Have you read the source at their server end of things? It make look innocent, but that thing is calling home.

Catarina
September 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, smart move on their part. I will check sometime in the future if it is needed for Vista. I wish all their Windows 7 releases had the browser ballot system though.

Apparently Vista doesn't need IE for Updates, since you don't have to visit the website:

If I use Microsoft Update, do I still need to visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update websites? (javascript:void(0);)

Not if you're using Windows Vista. Beginning with Windows Vista, you no longer use websites to check for updates. Instead, you just need to go to your Windows Update control panel. If you use Microsoft Update, you will be able to review and install updates for Windows and other Microsoft software products that are installed and supported by the Microsoft Update service.

For those wondering why the heck I don't like Chrome, I'll tell you the reasons:

1) I freakin' hate the whole Chrome look. It lacks a nice, clean and simple menu to allow me to organize my bookmarks easily.

2) There's still some incompatibilities with some websites, and it has crashed on me twice on the same day: that never happened while using Firefox, in fact, Firefox has only crashed twice since I started using it 3 years ago, and it was because I was running it in an extremely old Windows XP computer.

3) Way lesser add-ons and themes. There's no way Chrome would end up as customizable as Firefox, and I simply won't give up that feature.

If Google manages to improve their browser in the next releases, I might give it a chance. Until then, I'm sticking to the good ol' Firefoxy. :-\"

Tristam Green
September 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
stuff

Hmm, sounds like someone's exercising his or her right to a choice.

Burn 'em at the stake, boys!

pwnst*r
September 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Have you read every line of the source? Have you read the source at their server end of things? It make look innocent, but that thing is calling home.

yes because you do that with every application, don't you.

pwnst*r
September 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Apparently Vista doesn't need IE for Updates, since you don't have to visit the website:

For those wondering why the heck I don't like Chrome, I'll tell you the reasons:

1) I freakin' hate the whole Chrome look. It lacks a nice, clean and simple menu to allow me to organize my bookmarks easily.

2) There's still some incompatibilities with some websites, and it has crashed on me twice on the same day: that never happened while using Firefox, in fact, Firefox has only crashed twice since I started using it 3 years ago, and it was because I was running it in an extremely old Windows XP computer.

3) Way lesser add-ons and themes. There's no way Chrome would end up as customizable as Firefox, and I simply won't give up that feature.

If Google manages to improve their browser in the next releases, I might give it a chance. Until then, I'm sticking to the good ol' Firefoxy. :-\"

you must be referring to chrome under *nix. no issues on windows that you describe. and your 1st reason is ridiculous. there isn't a browser that's more simple and clean aesthetically.

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 07:19 PM

Actually the "look" of Chrome is one of the things I like the best, in fact I have themed my Firefox to look almost exactly like chrome using the following two Firefox Add-ons:

Chromifox Basic (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8782) by tcmediatech (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/1639897)

Chromin Frame (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10091) by Zero Fire (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/963246)

On bookmarks, I never use bookmarks.

If Google manages to improve their browser in the next releases, I might give it a chance. Until then, I'm sticking to the good ol' Firefoxy.

you must be referring to chrome under *nix. no issues on windows that you describe. and your 1st reason is ridiculous. there isn't a browser that's more simple and clean aesthetically.+1

Shibblet
September 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM

You know, most people would give you crap for that, but... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't like it, then you don't like it.

Well, I haven't seen all the websites yet. ;) But it doesn't allow me to save settings while configuring my Linksys router. I have to use Firefox.

Once again, that's a personal preference, and it's a fair argument. I personally like the simplistic interface, and the quick / snappiness of the browser. I like the tabs and such, and NEVER use add ons.

Different strokes for different folks. I think a lot of users prefer FireFox because of it's seemingly unlimited customability. No one here would even argue that they like IE. So scratch that argument right now. Some prefer Safari and Opera, some don't. I've even heard a compelling argument for Konqueror... but I think I was drunk.

The best thing about this is that Sony is going to finally give users a CHOICE right from the install. Most who buy Sony Vaio computers are running Vista, and just use IE. Now Chrome will be available and people might start to see a difference.

cottenhamr
September 3rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
Could not agree more. I love Linux as much as the next informed Software Engineer but we all need to push back on Google taking over this arena.

pwnst*r
September 3rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
could not agree more. I love linux as much as the next informed software engineer but we all need to push back on google taking over this arena.

hahaha

HappinessNow
September 3rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Could not agree more. I love Linux as much as the next informed Software Engineer but we all need to push back on Google taking over this arena.If it wasn't for Google entering the fight this arena would simply die.

gnomeuser
September 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

There is no server part, it's a web browser.. the server is the same as you'd visit with any browser.

As for the browser which is the subject at hand:

No, but I can. Would you put your master plan for world domination through datamining in the open for everyone to see? No, not really it seems like a stupid tactic, think of the PR lashback if said code was discovered (and all odds say that it will or will be affected by rewrites or compiler updates to be non functional). Google lied and spied on you, how long do you seriously think:

A) It would take to reverse that code
B) For a multi billion lawsuit to be filed against Google for illegal wiretapping and other crimes to numerous to list.

Besides, we have tools to check for correctness of the code, compilers, static analysis tools, etc.. We can cover a lot of ground with those alone. Aside that there are people out there monitoring not just the existing codebase but also the patches flowing into chromium, currently these are mainly techie news sites that want to weed out information on the upcoming ChromeOS - of which references and code has been starting to flowing to the codebase. Even lowly I have read some of the Chromium source code, the point being that it is actively being read but a number of people.

And still, it's calls home, so what, they admit it upfront with an explanation of why and how to turn it off. You get the code, you can patch that stuff out (which is what Iron does).

Yet none of that matters to your little conspiracy theory I suspect.