PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] strange install/upgrade

Nick Brohman
September 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
As no one has experienced this event, all who look at this poser (4 me), don't bother with this thread - Thank you, Nicko

I have a 4 yr. Celeron with 8.04 as OS & had a very strange (to me) install of 9.04.

It is now my secondary computer, it's what I'll be experimenting on from now on. I have been given the opportunity to upgrade it to a P4, which I will do as soon as parts are available to me.

That being so, this query does not need immediate attention.

I don't have it connected to the Net, just have an EtherNet cable near my Modem & hook up only every now & then. My resolution cannot be changed from 640 x 480 to what my ViewSonic 19.5 LCD wants me to do. That is not a priority at the moment, I've been able to work around it with what I've thought of doing & what I've read in these Forum pages.

I can't find any similar happenings in the Forum.

The Live DVD came with Linux + Magazine purchased last week for the purposes of sussing 9.04, Knoppix 6.01 & Mythbuntu 8.10. ( Linux in the clouds got me interested - cats are curious & I'm a Tiger ).

I must stress, I wanted to install not upgrade. On insertion, the Install screen came up, but immediately a Dialogue Box appeared giving me 3 options - Cancel, Run package manager or Upgrade. I chose #2 thinking that would allow me to look at the OS.

I then got a message that said I couldn't upgrgrade & that surprised me. I knew from my reading of the Mag. that I had to have 8.10 for that. Eject DVD & shut down to reconnect this PC to the net.

Next day:Boot Pc, open DVD drive insert DVD & reboot, after getting my Login screen I rebooted & got same again. Logged in thinking to open DVD in Firefox as that is how I've looked at some other of these discs, but doing so gave me those options above.

After several attempts to open the DVD I gave up & ejected.

I then got an update notice for 447 pkgs. & that was a surprise because I had only done a full mths. worth of updates 2 days prior. I accepted & was told to insert the DVD & that was my biggest mistake. I had gone into the menu on 1 of the times I was doing all this & saw 4 & bit OS on the drive - I don't know how to put it but there were 2 copies of the 'normal Kernel I expected to see, 2 "safe mode" & that bit (there were no numbers, just letters).

458 pkgs started downloading & when finished, I restarted the PC with the prompt, got the 9.04 log in screen & did so. My twins (Net Conn.) started spinning & putting the cursor over them, found that they were looking for a Network Address. After 20 mins. of this, I shut down & reconnected this PC & fired up so that I could get to the Forum & relate the events to the Community.

I originally called this post 'Failure To Get Internet Connection' but have since found another of the same with, so no solutions (?)
that I can achieve with my limited experience. As I said before, the solution for me is not urgent or important to me now. I still have
a Net connection with this PC but I am eager to know why.

Whilst typing this missive, I've thought of a few other reasons for what I did wrong:- (1) I should have just ejected the DVD at the 1st attempt, (2) understanding now, but not 3 days ago, that a Beta version was probably not a good idea (3) my curiousity has to be tampered some times, (4) never buy DVD +, (5) make sure the Magazne has a Publishing Date very visible, (6) stick to Canonical Publications ('When you're on a good thing, stick to it' - with apologies to Louis the Fly -a famous TV ad here in Aust for fly spray).

Other than this, today has been a good start to Spring, what with the knowledge the original attempt at this post has given me.

tgeer43, I forgot to say older Aussies are called (silly) Old Bastards, an endearment, but as you can see, some of us OBs do learn new tricks, thanks lad.
forestpixie, this my 2nd. use of you're suggestion & I thank you again,

SUITS - Nicko
Spring is in the air (John Paul Young)