PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need help auditing my network

xjwellsx
September 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM
So I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty and I've been doing some network auditing on my own wireless network for security purposes and I have successfully broke my WEP encryption and what I want to do now is to take over one of my networked computers using vnc to but I need to know how to remotely install vnc on that machine without having a user name or password or how to get the user name and password. Like i said this is my own network and my computers and i am just trying to do this for security purposes to protect myself. Thanks in advance

DFlame
September 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think many people here are going to help with that, myself included. Even though you state that it's your own network and your own systems, we can never be sure of it.

I can however tell you that what you want to get is going to be difficult against a Windows based computer and incredibly difficult against a well configured Linux box, at least with the lack of information you have.

If you're after protection, then it's time to use WPA2/AES encryption & MAC filtering on your router for starters. There's plenty of free security software out there for Win. based systems (AVG, Avira - COMODO, ZA to name 4), and Firestarter should be more than enough to add a little control over security on Ubuntu.