PDA

View Full Version : Countdown: Opera-10 Launch

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
Opera 10 releases today.:guitar:

Update:The official release of Opera-10 has happened!

http://www.opera.com/

New Features of Opera-10:
http://news.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-334632-1.html

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM
Indeed I filed a thread about not having an icon in the latest RC..I assume youre running it, can you confirm?

mrgnash
September 1st, 2009, 04:16 AM
What's the ETA?

Skripka
September 1st, 2009, 04:18 AM
Indeed I filed a thread about not having an icon in the latest RC..I assume youre running it, can you confirm?

Icons are the least of the problems that the O10 RC2 has....I cannot find any official comment on the release date, source?

Releasing O10 Linux now, would be a huge mistake--especially for the 64bit platform. It is NOT ready for prime time.

You CANNOT even CLOSE Opera10 64bit in Linux without it CRASHING--that is how much work needs done. It is also a long time known issue.

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 04:22 AM
Good to know...I dont run 64bit.

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 04:27 AM
Opera 10 releases today.:guitar:

Not according to the site.

sertse
September 1st, 2009, 04:31 AM
Not according to the site.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

That's the dev blog with all the weekly builds, beta etc. It says there

We are still on track for a release on Tuesday,

Today is Tuesday. Mirrors have also upload the final if you read the reader comments, it's not officially announced yet

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 04:33 AM

That's the dev blog with all the weekly builds, beta etc. It says there

Today is Tuesday. Mirrors have also upload the final if you read the reader comments, it's not officially announced yet

Ah I see now, its still monday (sorta) here.

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 04:33 AM
....I cannot find any official comment on the release date, source?

We are still on track for a release on Tuesday...

darco
September 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM
Icons are the least of the problems that the O10 RC2 has....I cannot find any official comment on the release date, source?

Releasing O10 Linux now, would be a huge mistake--especially for the 64bit platform. It is NOT ready for prime time.

You CANNOT even CLOSE Opera10 64bit in Linux without it CRASHING--that is how much work needs done. It is also a long time known issue.

I have no idea what you are talking about.,"cannot even close w/o crashing". Is that YOUR system or is this happening to others? Im on their forum alot and never has anyone mentioned that ONCE.
Opera 10 works flawlessly on my x64 OS. It picks up java and flash w/o a hitch. Its my second preferred browser after Chromium!

darco

mthei
September 1st, 2009, 05:01 AM
I use the deb.opera.com repository, and when I got home from work, after running apt-get upgrade, I was surprised to find that Opera 10 was there.
Aside from the UI, there's nothing much different in this release that really affects me (aside from an update to Presto).
Having used Opera along with Firefox for the last three years, I don't see myself switching away from it anytime soon. As long as I can disable cookies and javascipt aside from a handful of trusted sites and block ads ala Firefox I'm happy and will continue to use the two side by side.

Skripka
September 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about.,"cannot even close w/o crashing". Is that YOUR system or is this happening to others? Im on their forum alot and never has anyone mentioned that ONCE.
Opera 10 works flawlessly on my x64 OS. It picks up java and flash w/o a hitch. Its my second preferred browser after Chromium!

darco

I can get Opera to crash every time on hitting the "X" button in the upper right. Empty profile and all. It is a known problem-which evidently isn't stopping them from their release date.

The 64bit native Qt4 skin bugs were so bad-they gave up and stripped the Qt4 native skin from the 64bit Qt4 builds.

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 05:14 AM
Darco, any solution to the missing icon in the latest rc?

sertse
September 1st, 2009, 05:15 AM
The repo doesn't seen to include the qt4 build? I was hoping they would, instead of making my download it manually.

Doesn't close properly seems to be a common problem with many browsers lately. I had in Firefox; 3.5.2 in Debian and when distro hopping in Pardus....

darco
September 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM
I can get Opera to crash every time on hitting the "X" button in the upper right. Empty profile and all. It is a known problem-which evidently isn't stopping them from their release date.

The 64bit native Qt4 skin bugs were so bad-they gave up and stripped the Qt4 native skin from the 64bit Qt4 builds.

I dont know, maybe because I havent used Opera as much as I did with the previous versions, I have not experienced those issues yet. I can tell you I have'nt had any "closing issues"....
I did see in their forum issues have cropped up w/the latest RC. I guess we will wait and see.

darco

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM
I am also not getting the systray icon. I hadn't noticed earlier, since when I browse the net, I usually log into openbox, not gnome.

mrgnash
September 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Looks like it has been released now, but I can't find a qt4 build, only qt3 (note: the RC was available in both qt3 and 4 builds).

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 08:14 AM
best Opera yet and one beautiful browser, Love it!

Still using Firefox and Google Chrome/Chromium along side my beautiful Opera 10! :P

mr.propre
September 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Just installed it on my windows desktop @ work and WOW 0_0
I knew it was faster but i never thought it would be noticeable fast. But wow, just wow. :KS:KS:KS

Colonel Kilkenny
September 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM
Looks like it has been released now, but I can't find a qt4 build, only qt3 (note: the RC was available in both qt3 and 4 builds).

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1000/final/en/

mrgnash
September 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM
ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1000/final/en/

Oh, cool, thanks :)

coolbrook
September 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Posting from it. Seems nimble.

K.L.
September 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Can I somehow change menu bars color? It's grey now, that doesn't look nice with my current KDE 4.3 theme. Changing Operas theme doesn't help either, menu bars color stays the same...

Colonel Kilkenny
September 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Can I somehow change menu bars color? It's grey now, that doesn't look nice with my current KDE 4.3 theme. Changing Operas theme doesn't help either, menu bars color stays the same...

Opera should use your Qt theme colors for menu bar. Make sure that you're using Qt4 version of Opera (get it from my last message).

File -> Show menu bar or Alt + F11 is also a good way to get rid of menu if it irritates you somehow.

K.L.
September 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm using Qt4 version, still looks the same... But it doesn't matter, ALT+11 is much better, IMO. I have more space for viewing web pages, and there is a little button in the top left corner for menu. Thanks! :D

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm using Qt4 version, still looks the same...
Have you enabled 'System Theme' from Tools>Appearance>Color Scheme?

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
Don't forget to make sure Opera Turbo is turned on.

...and you skin Opera but the new default theme is so very, very nice. :P

K.L.
September 1st, 2009, 09:25 AM
Have you enabled 'System Theme' from Tools>Appearance>Color Scheme?

Yep, it's enabled.

I have attached image, so you can see how it looks like.

EDIT: Maybe it should look like this?

sertse
September 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
He is talking about the File, Edit, View etc bar, which is a deeper shade than normal regardless.

I personally hide it, so it doesn't bother me.

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Yep, it's enabled.

I have attached image, so you can see how it looks like.

EDIT: Maybe it should look like this?Looking at your screenshot I noticed you have Opera Turbo turned off:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127025&stc=1&d=1251793859

When Opera Turbo is turned on it should look like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127026&stc=1&d=1251793859

Colonel Kilkenny
September 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM
EDIT: Maybe it should look like this?

I think it should look like that. It tries to emulate your KDE theme (but as you can see it's not so good).

And there's no reason to turn Turbo on unless you're using Opera in slow network. In normal (fast) connections it's useless. Of course you can always try it to see if it speeds up browsing.

K.L.
September 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Double post, sorry.

K.L.
September 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM
He is talking about the File, Edit, View etc bar, which is a deeper shade than normal regardless.

I personally hide it, so it doesn't bother me.

Yep, that's what I meant by saying "menu bar". So it's normal, right? Sorry to bother you guys :D

Looking at your screenshot I noticed you have Opera Turbo turned off:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127025&stc=1&d=1251793859

When Opera Turbo is turned on it should look like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127026&stc=1&d=1251793859

Erm, I was talking about Color theme, not Opera Turbo :p

And there's no reason to turn Turbo on unless you're using Opera in slow network. In normal (fast) connections it's useless. Of course you can always try it to see if it speeds up browsing.

That's why it's disabled in my Opera.

Edit: Damn it, sorry for double post, I tried to edit my message, but posted a new one instead.

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Erm, I was talking about Color theme, not Opera Turbo :p I just noticed it was off, it provides a little extra zip for me but even with it off it is still fast.

hanzomon4
September 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
It's not bad.... but Chromium seems to be going the right way. Opera has too much going on for my taste. It's a good browser and v10 works a lot better in kde then the 9.x branch. Everything renders correctly which is nice. After using OS X for almost a year and half I've grown to hate menu bars and opera's menu bar stands out like a sore thumb. Other then that it looks nice.

EDIT: Fixed the menubar... they knew it was ugly and gladly have an option to hide it.

EDIT AGAIN: Turning on Smooth Scrolling makes it feel much better/lighter. I think it's just configured bad by default.

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM
EDIT AGAIN: Turning on Smooth Scrolling makes it feel much better/lighter. I think it's just configured bad by default.

+1 it does take a bit of tweaking.

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
In normal (fast) connections it's useless.
Not only useless, afaik it slows down page loading in a fast connection.

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
opera's menu bar stands out like a sore thumb.
The menu bar looks bad mostly because of wrong font and font size selection.

Tip to new opera users:
From tools >preferences>advanced>fonts select 'Browser menus' item and set the font to Dejavu Sans 15 or Liberation Sans 15/16.

Bölvağur
September 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM

I have tried browsing and closing the browser... no crash. I guess they fixed it. And it's the 64 bit version of course.

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM
I keep getting: We are sorry, the page you are looking for can’t be found.

We have upgraded the site recently so some pages may have moved. Did you try looking for your page in the menu at the top of this page?

Or maybe these links can help you:
These are from the mirrors

sisco311
September 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
I keep getting: We are sorry, the page you are looking for can’t be found.

We have upgraded the site recently so some pages may have moved. Did you try looking for your page in the menu at the top of this page?

Or maybe these links can help you:
These are from the mirrors

try this: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1000/final/en/

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 12:49 PM
I can get Opera to crash every time on hitting the "X" button in the upper right.

Ive had the same problem... hope the full version has that issue fixed. Its now almost 1pm here on Tuesday and the download still doesnt work.

Maybe they are on track for a launch Tuesday night Hawaii time :lolflag:

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Excellent except where Can I reload the icon in the Applications menu..I heard it is new and moved..any ideas?

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Not only useless, afaik it slows down page loading in a fast connection.
If you set it to automatic it will only turn itself on only when a slow network is detected.

This way it does not affect fast connections at all.

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Fine, I have set it to automatic now.

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 01:40 PM
the only issue I have is the icon has gone (from the applications/internet menu and cant add to panel...Like I asked if anyone knows where it is it would help all of us:)

sisco311
September 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
the only issue I have is the icon has gone (from the applications/internet menu and cant add to panel...Like I asked if anyone knows where it is it would help all of us:)

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/opera.png

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM
So if I click on edit menus, and scroll down to Opera in edit menus, the icon is blank. Where should I paste that command to put the icon in the applications menu?

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
This teaches me to go without coffee in the morning...Version information
Version

Build
All is well!

mrgnash
September 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
Can anyone replicate a weird bug where after video.google.com returns search results, it becomes impossible to interact with any of the links on the page (it looks like a freeze, but the rest of the tabs are fine)?

Chianti
September 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Never had such a problem...

papangul
September 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
All is well!
Is the tray icon for opera missing?

sports fan Matt
September 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Not since I updated this morning to opera 10 Final..Must have been a last minute RC Issue

uberlube
September 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM
has anyone had issues with ALL images in opera 10 being rendered horribly? Just the ones on sites though not Opera itself. Any fix for this?

sertse
September 2nd, 2009, 12:44 AM
I don't understand what you mean. Opera Turbo however makes images look "horrible" because it compresses them to save bandwidth (thus increasing speed of the page appearing on slow connection). Try turning it off?

l-x-l
September 2nd, 2009, 03:47 AM
Anyone know how to resize the search bar in opera 10? It's not wide enough & the address bar is conversely too wide.

Thx.

sports fan Matt
September 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
Try grabbing ahold of it and moving the search bar to teh left.

l-x-l
September 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Try grabbing ahold of it and moving the search bar to teh left.

It's not letting me. In the pics I see in this thread the address bar & search bar are divided by 3 vertical dots. Grabbing those dots & moving them should do the trick. But in my browser I don't see those 3 vertical dots.

Edit: Problem solved. I had to right click the bar & select "customize". Then select "reset toolbar to defaults". That did the trick.

hanzomon4
September 2nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
I am digging this browser. With Tabs+thumbnails on the side and no menubar it looks great. And it's so fast

sports fan Matt
September 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Is anyone considering switching from Firefox 3?

l-x-l
September 2nd, 2009, 06:12 AM

Ugh... what's a Firefox?? :D

mrgnash
September 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM

It's impressive, but no, not really... especially since it doesn't seem to use much less memory, and that's what I look for in a browser (besides being able to run things like Vimperator/Vimperopera).

lefen
September 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Apologies for the quick question, but can anyone tell me how I enable a left-click in the address bar to select the entire url? At the moment, it's just placing the cursor where I click within the url. I've poked about in about:config, but couldn't find the option.

Cheers.

Colonel Kilkenny
September 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Apologies for the quick question, but can anyone tell me how I enable a left-click in the address bar to select the entire url? At the moment, it's just placing the cursor where I click within the url. I've poked about in about:config, but couldn't find the option.

Cheers.

I may be mistaken but I'd say that there's no way to do it. Double clicking however does that.

lefen
September 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I may be mistaken but I'd say that there's no way to do it. Double clicking however does that.

Got it, thanks for the quick reply :)

sports fan Matt
September 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
This sounds ridiculous, I know, and I'm trying to give Opera a fair chance but im SO used to Firefox.. I do like the fact (even though I have 2 gb Ram and a 500 gb Hard Drive of having Opera's built in email client, (while Thunderbird is a separate install) Seriously, whats wrong with me and why am i fretting about this, am I being unreasonable to myself?

kko1
September 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
'lo.

Got Opera 10 on my Kubuntu as a semi-automatic update.

Some shortcuts from Opera 9 (in particular I've noticed ctrl-left and ctrl-right for switching between tabs) seem to be non-functional (more precisely, configured the same as alt-left and alt-right, i.e. back and forward) as of the new version.

Any tips on restoring the old mode, before I need to go dig deeper?

cookieofdoom
September 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
I may have to give this a try now that Dragonfly supports CSS editing (or so I read). Firefox is just so clunky anymore... on any OS. :(

TeoBigusGeekus
September 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
'lo.

Got Opera 10 on my Kubuntu as a semi-automatic update.

Some shortcuts from Opera 9 (in particular I've noticed ctrl-left and ctrl-right for switching between tabs) seem to be non-functional (more precisely, configured the same as alt-left and alt-right, i.e. back and forward) as of the new version.

Any tips on restoring the old mode, before I need to go dig deeper?
To switch quickly between tabs in Opera:
Hold down the right mouse button and roll the middle button.
A menu appears in the middle of the screen with all your open tabs.
Highlight whichever you want and that's it.

xc3RnbFO8P
September 2nd, 2009, 07:46 PM
I am,
2 reasons:
faster
and
flash works better in Opera 10.

kko1
September 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
To switch quickly between tabs in Opera:
Hold down the right mouse button and roll the middle button.
A menu appears in the middle of the screen with all your open tabs.
Highlight whichever you want and that's it.

Thanks, I knew that. Should've, at least. ;-)

Works perfectly ...for when I'm using the mouse.

Still would like to restore Opera 9's ease of tab-navigation for the more common case of when my hands are resting on the keyboard. :-)

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 12:42 AM
Does anyone know a good Memory Setting and Disk Cache setting for a machine that has 2 gigs ram and a 500 gb hard drive?

RATM_Owns
September 3rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
If I can import my cookies from FF3 to Opera10, I might try it.

samjh
September 3rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
How is website compatibility in Opera 10? I seem to recall Opera 9.6x had problems with some web apps (which displayed correctly on Firefox and IE).

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Sam, I found some audio things (public radio web streams) and other pages that I cant remember off the top of my head that now work with O 10.

papangul
September 3rd, 2009, 05:12 AM
...when my hands are resting on the keyboard. :-)

Ctrl+Tab, not as elegant as the scheme you mentioned, but works anyway.:)

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 05:17 AM
Ok, Opera 10 is extremely fast I must say.. Been playing with it the last few hours. For the time being I may just leave both installed (Opera & Firefox). Im not sure about Opera's built in mail client. Thoughts?

pwnst*r
September 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
that ftp folder has a bunch of stuff in it. i'm running 64bit, which of those do i want?

papangul
September 3rd, 2009, 06:31 AM
If you are using amd then:
opera_10.00.4585.gcc4.qt4_amd64.deb

TeoBigusGeekus
September 3rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Ok, Opera 10 is extremely fast I must say.. Been playing with it the last few hours. For the time being I may just leave both installed (Opera & Firefox). Im not sure about Opera's built in mail client. Thoughts?
As much as I hate to admit it (Opera fanatic since 2005), use Thunderbird...

Exodist
September 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
I am,
2 reasons:
faster
and
flash works better in Opera 10.

Those and it also looks better. :-)

pwnst*r
September 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
If you are using amd then:
opera_10.00.4585.gcc4.qt4_amd64.deb

nope, not amd. was curious between the bundled/shared/not bundled differences.

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Teo, so you are saying the opera mail client is a no go?

TeoBigusGeekus
September 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Depends on what you want actually...
It's a very good mail client, but Thunderbird is simply better.
So, if your mailing needs are basic, Opera will cover you 100%.
If on the other hand you're a mail junkie, go for something stronger (Thunderbird, Evolution,etc.)

But throw away Firefox - the Internet Explorer of linux - and start using the best browser out there. For the extremely rare case of a site that is incompatible with Opera (not Opera's fault), use Epiphany...

RiceMonster
September 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm using it right now. It's working great.

Twitch6000
September 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Humm I will download this today. I have always liked opera :).

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
The only issue I've run into is Facebook--When I pull up friends it refuses to list them all...If I have 20 contacts online, it may only in reality show 10. Can anyone confirm this?

kko1
September 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ctrl+Tab, not as elegant as the scheme you mentioned, but works anyway.:)

In KDE, switches between desktops. Thanks for the try anyway.

(I may have to dig deeper or open a support thread.)

trailofdead
September 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've been using opera 10 beta 2/3 for some time. I installed with a tar ball. I downloaded the .deb to install, but after it finished installing and I launched opera 10, it was still the beta 3 version.

Do I need to always install from tar now?

btw, i'm using jaunty.

captaincrook
September 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
I've been using opera 10 beta 2/3 for some time. I installed with a tar ball. I downloaded the .deb to install, but after it finished installing and I launched opera 10, it was still the beta 3 version.

Do I need to always install from tar now?

btw, i'm using jaunty.

Purge via apt-get. The old Betas had the 10.10 version number because of unite and the package now (10 stable) will be considered not an upgrade.

samjh
September 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Im not sure about Opera's built in mail client. Thoughts?

I'm using it now, on my ISP's email account and my GMail account. Not impressed. Delete function doesn't work correctly (never has), lacks options, and has a generally clunky look-and-feel. Use Thunderbird instead.

After playing around with Opera last night, I'm switching back to FF and TB. It's a nice release, very fast, with jack-of-all-trades features. But it just isn't for me. It seems that Opera is a browser that is pretty good at most things, but doesn't stand out at anything (perhaps except Acid3 compliance). And the speed advantage is hardly noticeable anyway.

RiceMonster
September 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
In KDE, switches between desktops. Thanks for the try anyway.

Not if you change it ;)

sertse
September 4th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Fun little tip: try running opera with -nomail -notrayicon -nolirc options. If like me, you don't use opera for mail, have no need for a trayicon and don't use infrared, it makes opera a bit more efficient.

longtom
September 4th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks, I knew that. Should've, at least. ;-)

Works perfectly ...for when I'm using the mouse.

Still would like to restore Opera 9's ease of tab-navigation for the more common case of when my hands are resting on the keyboard. :-)

Have a look here:

http://help.opera.com/Windows/9.50/en/keyboard.html

There are all kind of shortcuts - also the ones you are looking for. (Ctrl + F6 and Ctrl + Shift + F6). They do work with Opera 10 - I just tested those I like.

As far as Opera is concerned:

I remember when Firefox was a really good alternative to IE. Now Firefox has become bloated (arguably) and Opera is taking it's place.

I am using Opera for some time already. I like the "all in one" approach and the ease of the layout as well as the easy way to configure it. And yes - it is snappy.
Have to agree on the e-mail so. I used it before (in Windows) for security reasons. As far as functionality is concerned, it is not a patch against Thunderbird (as has been said before).

What lulled me over? Well - something trivial, I guess. I loved the speed dial. Still think it is pretty snazy.

Otherwise it full fills all my needs. As they say in a car hire advert here:

"No frills, no fuss, just good value."

sports fan Matt
September 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Teo,

I have my ISP'S Email connected to Thunderbird and that's basically what I use Tbird for. The only drawback (as I have stated) is Facebook doesnt display all my notifications or in friend lists..all the people. If those two things could be resolved, I'd throw away Firefox..Any Ideas?

TeoBigusGeekus
September 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Matt,
I don't use facebook, but a quick google search revealed that facebook has compatibility issues with Opera:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27005108305&ref=share
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=7317379972&topic=6875
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=669096
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t633545.html
It seems that half a year ago people couldn't even log on in facebook using Opera!!!
At least things have started to get better from what I read from you and others...
Just bear in mind that it's not Opera's fault - Opera is the most immaculate standards' compliant browser, it's just that the site developers don't bother to test it beyond IE, FF and Chrome (can you see why I'm calling FF the IE of Linux? - besides speed etc.)
It's a shame that Opera doesn't fit your needs, but check again in a couple of months - perhaps all problems will be fixed by then.

timjohn7
September 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
has anyone had issues with ALL images in opera 10 being rendered horribly? Just the ones on sites though not Opera itself. Any fix for this?

Right click on the image that you are interested in and select reload at full quality.

sports fan Matt
September 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hey Teo,

Yeah I knew they had issues with it and Id rather use Opera + the mail client (since all I do is tie it into Charter communications) My ISP..Would you recomend I give it a go? I can get around rhe poor FB ..its not like it doesnt entirely work.

TeoBigusGeekus
September 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hey Teo,

Yeah I knew they had issues with it and Id rather use Opera + the mail client (since all I do is tie it into Charter communications) My ISP..Would you recomend I give it a go? I can get around rhe poor FB ..its not like it doesnt entirely work.
Go ahead with closed eyes!!! Trust me, you will NEVER look back...

kko1
September 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
There are all kind of shortcuts - also the ones you are looking for. (Ctrl + F6 and Ctrl + Shift + F6). They do work with Opera 10 - I just tested those I like.

Thanks. Still a no-go in KDE though.

Not if you change it ;)

True. Anyway, problem solved, thanks everyone for the comments.

I decided to do the sensible thing (that I could've of course done from the start) and change not KDE's but Opera's default settings, simply by editing them in the settings menu. For each function, I did have to make two changes though, change the keys for the desired function AND remove the now duplicated combination from the function it had been assigned to by default. At least the built-in search function was helpful here. ;-)

Apparently, this customization had been lost in the transition from 9 to 10.

bailout
September 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM

I have been using Opera for email for a few years now. With pop3 accounts it is excellent once you get used to how it works. I now use it mostly for gmail imap which works but isn't as smooth because gmail's imap doesn't work to normal standards. Then again I did try thunderbird and that was no better with gmail and seemed clunky after Opera.

Opera's client does work differently to others so it might take a bit of getting used to. Check this tutorial for more details.

http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/mail/

ceciliaFX
September 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The only issue I've run into is Facebook--When I pull up friends it refuses to list them all...If I have 20 contacts online, it may only in reality show 10. Can anyone confirm this?
no.....in Windows Opera 10 and facebook show's all my friends. I'm waiting to figure out which opera (q3 or q4) to use in my ubuntu brfore I install it there.

generally in the past the only issue i have with facebook and opera is that it sometimes is abit slow, but it's nothing that really bothers me.

mthei
September 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
For what it's worth, the default Opera download for RPMs is the qt4 build, which I've used for almost a year when I was running Fedora and had never noticed anything wrong. The qt3 build for Debian is very buggy for me, and menus to not respond as well as the qt4 build. Of course, this means that Debian/Ubuntu users cannot use the Opera repository, as it only offers qt3.

ceciliaFX
September 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Matt,
I don't use facebook, but a quick google search revealed that facebook has compatibility issues with Opera:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27005108305&ref=share
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=7317379972&topic=6875
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=669096
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t633545.html
It seems that half a year ago people couldn't even log on in facebook using Opera!!!
At least things have started to get better from what I read from you and others...
Just bear in mind that it's not Opera's fault - Opera is the most immaculate standards' compliant browser, it's just that the site developers don't bother to test it beyond IE, FF and Chrome (can you see why I'm calling FF the IE of Linux? - besides speed etc.)
It's a shame that Opera doesn't fit your needs, but check again in a couple of months - perhaps all problems will be fixed by then.
maybe I'm lucky, but a few years ago when I first joined facebook I seem to recall a bit of an issue (and don't ask me what it was. I'm lucky I can remember yesterday). anyway, I "masked" Opera as FF and refreshed in Facebook. moved around long enough to get cookies and whatnot.

After a couple of Opera upgrades I've noticed that My facebook pages are all seen as Opera, not masked and work fine.

I don't know exactly why, but I figure if it ain't broke I won't worry about it. I also don't play games on facebook.

khelben1979
September 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I installed it yesterday.

ceciliaFX
September 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
For what it's worth, the default Opera download for RPMs is the qt4 build, which I've used for almost a year when I was running Fedora and had never noticed anything wrong. The qt3 build for Debian is very buggy for me, and menus to not respond as well as the qt4 build. Of course, this means that Debian/Ubuntu users cannot use the Opera repository, as it only offers qt3.
i've always downloaded Opera from the opera site. it seems to know what OS I am in at the time (clever, aren't they) :)

maybe I should just do that again?

pjalegria
September 7th, 2009, 09:32 PM
You can download directly from http://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/ and there you can find qt4 builds...:lolflag:

ben2talk
September 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I use the deb.opera.com repository, and when I got home from work, after running apt-get upgrade, I was surprised to find that Opera 10 was there.
Aside from the UI, there's nothing much different in this release that really affects me (aside from an update to Presto).
Having used Opera along with Firefox for the last three years, I don't see myself switching away from it anytime soon. As long as I can disable cookies and javascipt aside from a handful of trusted sites and block ads ala Firefox I'm happy and will continue to use the two side by side.

Seconded - I believe firmly that it's more important to support CHOICE than anything else. Freedom is fairly important, but this must include the freedom to be a freedom hater ;)

Opera was far superior for several years, and now that Firefox has absorbed the better features (Firefox gestures only having become smooth and useable in the last two years...) and caught up on many respects I think two friends are better than one. Let's hope that Chromium can come clean on Linux - though Epiphany webkit is a welcome third engine.