PDA

View Full Version : ReactOS news!

MasterNetra
September 1st, 2009, 01:33 AM
Got curious and checked the ReactOS site to see how they are coming along and well...
For those who care.
ReactOS released 3.10 (Been out sense July 5th, but meh.)

Also sense August 3rd they've been holding a website design contest, winner's site design will be used (naturally) as for any other prize, heck if I know.

That's news from there site for those who care or are curious. :popcorn:

jrusso2
September 1st, 2009, 01:34 AM
And after ten years the beta will be released? When.

ad_267
September 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM
I read they'd managed to get some KDE applications working on it. It's an interesting project but not something I'd ever use, and I can't imagine it will ever have a lot of users.

MasterNetra
September 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM
I read they'd managed to get some KDE applications working on it. It's an interesting project but not something I'd ever use, and I can't imagine it will ever have a lot of users.

I believe the whole point of ReactOS is to run window apps.

ad_267
September 1st, 2009, 01:59 AM
I believe the whole point of ReactOS is to run window apps.

Yeah I realise that. I believe these were the Windows versions of KDE applications. KDE can run on Linux, UNIX, OSX and Windows. http://dot.kde.org/2009/08/25/another-platform-kde. Obviously it would be pointless to run only KDE and no native Windows apps on ReactOS, but I thought this still qualifies as a decent achievement.

cmay
September 1st, 2009, 02:30 AM
I had two of their releases installed on hardware. both far from usable as everyday OS but that sort of goes with alpha as an understanding.

to be honest i really do not care that much about reactOS but my brother folds his hands in prayer that it will be successful enough for him to start using it as a gaming platform .

magmon
September 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM
I had two of their releases installed on hardware. both far from usable as everyday OS but that sort of goes with alpha as an understanding.

to be honest i really do not care that much about reactOS but my brother folds his hands in prayer that it will be successful enough for him to start using it as a gaming platform .

React OS really disappointed me. When I read about it, it sounded great, but when I used it... Whew, lets not even get into it. When (if) it becomes as easy to use as ubuntu, it will be popular.

Jestersage
September 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM
React OS really disappointed me. When I read about it, it sounded great, but when I used it... Whew, lets not even get into it. When (if) it becomes as easy to use as ubuntu, it will be popular.

I have more luck running apps on Wine in Ubuntu than on ReactOS.

In terms of learning about Windows? Good. In terms of usefulness, it's zero.

lisati
September 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM
Mildly encouraged by the work that's reported on ReactOS's SATA support.

MasterNetra
September 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have more luck running apps on Wine in Ubuntu than on ReactOS.

In terms of learning about Windows? Good. In terms of usefulness, it's zero.

Again folks its still *ALPHA* one shouldn't expect it to be good yet as it isn't anywhere near finish. So don't be disappointed yet, its not ready.

coldReactive
September 3rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
Also, trunk builds are usually better than the stable release.

Slug71
September 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I installed ReactOS a couple of days ago on a spare system and then Jaunty next to it which i plan to upgrade to Karmic for testing.

However Grub didnt detect my ReactOS partition.

I had Jaunty installed before ReactOS too and even before i reinstalled Jaunty next to ReactOS it still wasnt going into ReactOS. Instead Grub was kicking up an error.??

Slug71
September 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM

I'd rather use ReactOS than Windows for apps that are only available for Windows. Which isnt much these days but it still will be good for Hardware driver support.

For Gamers this might be a better alternative to Windows to. Eventually anyway. maybe when ReactX is complete. Someday.

Mateo
September 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, looks like it's on track for a 2030 version 1.0 release.

yabbadabbadont
September 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, looks like it's on track for a 2030 version 1.0 release.

Just in time for Duke Nukem Forever...

Frak
September 4th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Just in time for Duke Nukem Forever...
I hear it ends poverty.

yabbadabbadont
September 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I hear it ends poverty.

I heard that the admins were going to reopen the backyard to celebrate.

Edit: It will be nice if they actually do get something that is fit for everyday use released sometime.

DeadSuperHero
September 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I also heard that it runs a mesh of E17 and GNUStep, and is actually more slick, feature-complete, and usable than KDE, Gnome, XFCE, and anything else out there.

And it also seems to have some optional HURD designs, with the NT kernel sitting atop Mach/L4/Viengoos.

:P

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I heard that the admins were going to reopen the backyard to celebrate.

I can not find my key for it. Put somewhere for safe keeping . Dammit :P

MaxIBoy
September 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Tried the latest 'stable' version in Virtualbox 3.

It seemed to work okay (except that text rendered in Gecko was unreadable and sound didn't work.) Then I installed the Virtualbox Guest Additions. Now it's almost unusably buggy and the resolution is limited to 800*600. So the Windows driver support needs work.

But this is still not bad. And since the installation took only 5 minutes, I can easily scratch this VM and start a new one.

coldReactive
September 4th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Tried the latest 'stable' version in Virtualbox 3.

It seemed to work okay (except that text rendered in Gecko was unreadable and sound didn't work.) Then I installed the Virtualbox Guest Additions. Now it's almost unusably buggy and the resolution is limited to 800*600. So the Windows driver support needs work.

But this is still not bad. And since the installation took only 5 minutes, I can easily scratch this VM and start a new one.

Firefox 2 text works fine btw.