PDA

View Full Version : College (American) Football

JDShu
September 1st, 2009, 01:10 AM
My university was a pretty big (american) football school and college football quickly became my favorite sport to follow. (I grew up mostly overseas) Kickoff is in less than a week and I'm pumped!

So I was curious if there were any college football fans at all here in the Ubuntu forums. I understand of course that most people are not in the U.S. and can't even understand why people would watch amateur sports in the first place!

sideaway
September 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM
Well, I voted the last, I don't really watch it. It just doesn't air often over here... Not that I'd probably watch it if it did.

gn2
September 1st, 2009, 01:20 AM
It's not broadcast here, but I probably wouldn't watch it if it was.
For watching I much prefer Rugby League.

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 01:20 AM
I can see it now, the bashing begins....

Anyway, I love football, but am more of a pro fan than college. However, when 2 big schools are playing, I try to catch it. But sunday is my holy day. I do nothing for 12 hours but watch football and drink. (I'm a jock/geek/hippie/metalhead all in one!) You will rarely see me post here on a sunday during football season. Football consumes me 1 day a week.
:guitar:

If I had to pick a college team to root for, it would be UConn only because I live nearby.

malcam
September 1st, 2009, 01:25 AM
I can't even get the attraction of the Superbowl. Each year they put it on and I try my best to watch it, but they stop so often and wait for so long that it's gets a bit boring. We also don't get any adverts because it's the BBC, so the commentators have to pad with strategy talk as much as possible. Is it more fun at a lower level?

JDShu
September 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM
I enjoy watching rugby as well, though its somewhat derived from my enjoyment of college football.

College football vs NFL has been written about alot... I personally think theres nothing to compare. I do however enjoy college sports more because I have attachment to the team. Sports after all are something you only truely enjoy when theres a team you're backing.

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 01:37 AM
I can't even get the attraction of the Superbowl. Each year they put it on and I try my best to watch it, but they stop so often and wait for so long that it's gets a bit boring. We also don't get any adverts because it's the BBC, so the commentators have to pad with strategy talk as much as possible. Is it more fun at a lower level?
When you are born and raised watching any sport, you are going like and understand it more than someone from another country. I guess you would just have to come to the U.S. and go to a super bowl party to see for yourself. It is a great time. But for the most part, it is a U.S. thing.

gn2
September 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM
Sports after all are something you only truely enjoy when theres a team you're backing.

I completely agree.
I lost all interest in football (soccer) when the team that my grandfather used to take me to folded.
The stadium was sold off and torn down, all that remains are memories.

Bölvağur
September 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM
I applaud you for saying american football :mrgreen: as anything else would make confusion, even though it wouldnt in one particular cluster of states.

Kingsley
September 1st, 2009, 01:42 AM
I prefer watching NFL.

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 01:44 AM
I prefer watching NFL.

Who's your team? Colts fan here.

MoonRocketZero
September 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM
I've never been able to get into American football (which is odd as I am from the USA - born and raised)

I love just about all other sports. but I just don't get football, and never have - maybe there's something wrong with me :confused:

Stan_1936
September 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM
So, is this the official discussion thread for the upcoming season or simply a thread for people to bash the sport?

Kingsley
September 1st, 2009, 01:52 AM
Who's your team? Colts fan here.
Atlanta Falcons. I'm expecting good things from Matt Ryan this season. :P

Stan_1936
September 1st, 2009, 01:54 AM
...College football vs NFL has been written about alot... I personally think theres nothing to compare...

There are more rivalries in the College game.
The rivalries are better...seriously, Washington-Dallas??? That's barely a rivalry.
There's more teams to follow.
There's more teams to hate.
There's very little atmosphere in the stadiums at the professional level.

I've never found the professional game to be able to come close to matching the college game in terms of excitement.

JDShu
September 1st, 2009, 01:54 AM

Is he starting already? Isn't that rather early by quarterback standards?

Stan_1936
September 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM
He started last season and was GREAT!

JDShu
September 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM
There are more rivalries in the College game.
The rivalries are better...seriously, Washington-Dallas??? That's barely a rivalry.
There's more teams to follow.
There's more teams to hate.

I've never found the professional game to be able to come close to matching the college game in terms of excitement.

You're definitely right about more teams to hate!

Groucho Marxist
September 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM
My mother and father are alumni of the University of Michigan, so watching the team from the college that allowed me to live a comfortable life play on Saturdays carries extra sentimental value for me.

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
So, is this the official discussion thread for the upcoming season or simply a thread for people to bash the sport?

I have not seen any bashing yet, relax.

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM

Yeah, I'm expecting great things from him too, since I took him in my fantasy league. He is definitely going to be a great one.

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 02:02 AM

Really? That has not been my experience. I have been to 5 NFL games, and it was awesome. I'm not saying the college game is not great in it's own right, it's just different. Part of the atmosphere you speak of has to do with the crowd. The college crowd is younger.

Stan_1936
September 1st, 2009, 02:08 AM
Not necessarily younger. A large number of college fans are from the town in which the college is located. Then there's also former students. There's only a few sections that are designated "Student Sections". Some college stadia have rather small student sections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQB1RZlYg_c

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Not necessarily younger. A large number of college fans are from the town in which the college is located. Then there's also former students. There's only a few sections that are designated "Student Sections". Some college stadia have rather small student sections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQB1RZlYg_c

You don't have to explain anything to me. I've been a huge football fan since '72 (even played some organized) and have a pretty good idea what's up. ;) No disrespect intended.

If you like the college game better, that's OK. We all have things we like better than others. Anyway, GO COLTS!

JDShu
September 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM
My mother and father are alumni of the University of Michigan, so watching the team from the college that allowed me to live a comfortable life play on Saturdays carries extra sentimental value for me.

Go Blue! ;)

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 02:29 AM
Go Blue! ;)

Same thing colts fans say for some odd reason. BTW, what was Michigan's record last year?

mamamia88
September 1st, 2009, 02:30 AM
nah i am a big football fan just don't care for college football. go Colts oh and dude they say go blue because the uniform is blue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jswJrNNWJfY

HappyFeet
September 1st, 2009, 02:32 AM
go Colts

Peyton Manning for President!

JDShu
September 1st, 2009, 03:03 AM
BTW, what was Michigan's record last year? :( thats why I'm pumped for the season... want to forget quickly

JDShu
September 3rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
First games in less than 24 hours! We get to start off with a big game with Oregon at Boise State. Looking forward to it!

HappinessNow
September 3rd, 2009, 05:40 AM
I plan on getting up early tomorrow morning for Free Student tickets for the game on Saturday. This will be my first "live" college football game.

Actually, I am not much interested in American football, I just have a really good friend on the team so we will be going to watch him in action.

TuckLive
September 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Roll Tide

JDShu
September 3rd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Actually, I am not much interested in American football, I just have a really good friend on the team so we will be going to watch him in action.

I was not very interested when I first got into college either - thought it looked idiotic and brainwashed by the rugby view that "those pussies have to wear pads", but I got really into it especially for the strategic element. It also helped that my school had a historical year :P

running_rabbit07
September 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
I think I'd rather waste the day fishing. It was fun to play back in the school days, but to actually watch it now just isn't worth my time.

If you like watching men in tights, have fun.

doorknob60
September 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
College Football FTW! I enjoy it more than the NFL TBH :P Mainly because Oregon doesn't have an NFL team, but Oregon Ducks FTW :D

craigeo
September 3rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'm more of an NFL fan... Go Vikings!
But am also a Gopher fan (and most of the Big 10 besides the badgers and hawkeyes ... hate those 2).
I'd say there are some pretty intense NFL rivalries.
Where I'm at the Viking-Packer rivalry is very big.... there's a reason they are on Monday or Sunday night just about every year.
This year is even bigger cuz of Favre.

LowSky
September 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Im a NY Giants fan. For whatever reason Lower-NY isn't known for its college teams. Heck were I live we have a bunch of colleges, including Marst and Vassar and we don't have that college town feel. We get excited about pro sports and thats about it.

BTW the Giants are going to do horribly without any good wide recievers. Burress was an idiot.

ericmc783
September 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
I like NFL football, but college is my favorite to watch. More passion, more tradition, better rivalries.

My favorite team is Ohio State. HUGE FAN. Was born and raised in Ohio. But I like the game of College Football as a whole too.

Less than 48 hours until kickoff. Go Buckeyes! and it is nice to see some football fans here. :-)

chessnerd
September 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'm looking forward to Saturday, but at the same time I'm nervous. I'm a U of M fan and, after last season, I really need to see a win against Western Michigan. If they lose to another MAC team I don't think I can handle it. Oh, Toledo flashbacks...

PurposeOfReason
September 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
My Uni dropped the football team after last season for money reasons. I'm glad they took it from them, they were horrible and I don't really like football.

ericmc783
September 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Oh, Toledo flashbacks...

Thom Brennamen: "....... and the kick is BLOCKED! APPALACHIAN STATE - HAS STUNNED THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL WORLD! ONE OF THE GREATEST upsets in sports history!!".

Sorry, just had to. :-)

But in all seriousness I actually agree with you. The Big Ten needs Michigan to get back to their old selves. It just isn't the same when Michigan is crappy all the time.

BslBryan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Everyone here seems to be obsessed with American football (I'm at Mercer University in Georgia) on any level, but I never got into it, though I really have tried before. I'm much more interested in real football. I'm West Ham 'til I die, but people here don't take it as seriously as anywhere else.

Here, there are a handful of people who like real football, but they all like Manchester United and Chelsea, and one Chelsea fan even went across the pond to the Boleyn ground and bought a West Ham scarf. :lol:

ericmc783
September 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I have a few co-workers whom are big into english football (or real football as it probably should be called).

Us americans are weird.... we made the whole world start calling it's most popular sport soccer, we don't use metric, we aren't good at geography, our two most watched sports (NFL and NASCAR) are sports that noone anywhere else in the world gives a damn for, etc.

JDShu
September 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thom Brennamen: "....... and the kick is BLOCKED! APPALACHIAN STATE - HAS STUNNED THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL WORLD! ONE OF THE GREATEST upsets in sports history!!".

Sorry, just had to. :-)

But in all seriousness I actually agree with you. The Big Ten needs Michigan to get back to their old selves. It just isn't the same when Michigan is crappy all the time.

Ouch... and with all the off the field issues right now I despair as to what might happen. A win over Western Michigan would be great.

I've encountered a lot of hate for American football: Why is it called football? Its men piling on top of one another! Its a weak version of rugby cause they have to wear protection!

Personally, I don't see the point of the questions or promoting one sport over another unless of course you have a financial interest ;) People enjoy different things and we should all get along :D Btw, while football/soccer is the most popular sport in the world, its not the most popular sport in many individual countries, not just the US: cricket/rugby/hockey trump football/soccer in many countries. In addition, Japan and Mexico are unexpected fans of American Football.

Personally, I am a "real" football/soccer watcher every 4 years... its just hard to root for a team you have no connection to so premier league/euro league etc. don't interest me. (Hong Kong is the ultimate city of bandwagons btw - so many fans of Man U/Chelsea/Liverpool/Brazil/Italy/Lakers/Celtics... you get the picture, and I don't understand it) I watch the occasional MLS game on TV but only because of my interesting the U.S as possibly an up and coming football/soccer power.

I agree we need to switch to metric though.

mrgnash
September 4th, 2009, 06:59 AM
All mindless, homoerotic, chauvinistic sports are complete anathema to me. Therefore, I voted "no, American football is stupid", despite not wanting to single out American football.

swoll1980
September 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Go Buckeyes!

Michigan sucks

oobuntoo
September 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
go buckeyes!

michigan sucks

+10000

oobuntoo
September 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I love college football. People who go/went to big universities tend to prefer college football to NFL. If you live in cities with small colleges or unviversities, it's hard to become fan because their teams rarely win, so you are better off rooting for pro teams instead.

I love (real) football even more. The kind of football like they play in the EPL. :lol:

ericmc783
September 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Well, Michigan did win, the way it should be. Oklahoma was the big upset loser of the weekend. Miami and FSU are battling it out right now.

JDShu
September 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
The Miami-FSU game was awesome.

ericmc783
September 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
fck! I was really wanting FSU to win that. Oh well....

We'll see how good the "U" is here in the next few weeks.