PDA

View Full Version : Which linux distribution have you used that has debian package manager except ubuntu?

colau
September 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hi,
Have you used other distribution that has debian package manager(.deb package) except ubuntu?

dragos240
September 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
Debian :p

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
Uhh, debian ;)

dragos240
September 1st, 2009, 01:12 AM
Also it's called apt.

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM
Also it's called apt.

Actually apt isnt just found on Debian or Ubuntu, PCLinux uses Apt.

dragos240
September 1st, 2009, 01:20 AM

"Have you used other distribution that has debian package manager(.deb package) except ubuntu?"
He's asking what other distros have you used that use apt. He's not asking for debian or ubuntu based distros. :)

pizza-is-good
September 1st, 2009, 01:23 AM
If I'm correct, Linux Mint does. I only used it for 10 minutes and didn't like it, so I never got around to doing much with it.

kk0sse54
September 1st, 2009, 01:24 AM
Debian, Sidux, PCLinuxOS, Dream Linux, Linux Mint, Mepis among others all with varying levels of success/failure. Personally I try to keep away from distros that use APT but that's just my preference.

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 01:24 AM
Umm, Debian :P

RiceMonster
September 1st, 2009, 01:25 AM
Umm, Debian :P

That was really clever saying that the third time.

gn2
September 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM

AFAIK PCLinuxOS uses Apt-rpm (http://apt-rpm.org/) which technically isn't Apt.

Other .deb distros I have used:

Debian
Mint
Antix
Elive

sideaway
September 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
well all(most) the Ubuntu derivatives use it. Crunchbang, Mint, U-lite, Icebuntu, also all(most) the Debian derivatives.

Just search them, I don't think I've ever used a OS that uses apt and not derived from either debian or ubuntu.

dragos240
September 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM
Well there are distros that use pacman, but are not based on arch.....

Irihapeti
September 1st, 2009, 05:45 AM
When I first got my EeePC 900 I played with the pre-installed Xandros for about 15 minutes before overwriting it. Does that count?

colau
September 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Debian.

colau
September 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Debian, Sidux, PCLinuxOS, Dream Linux, Linux Mint, Mepis among others all with varying levels of success/failure. Personally I try to keep away from distros that use APT but that's just my preference.
Hello,
Is PCLinuxOS with .deb package?
Why do you try to keep away from distros that use APT?

lykwydchykyn
September 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hi,
Have you used other distribution that has debian package manager(.deb package) except ubuntu?

I used Mepis for many years before Ubuntu, and of course Debian.

slakkie
September 18th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Very surprisingly, Debian.

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Yeah, we all know apt is evil. ;)

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hello,
Is PCLinuxOS with .deb package?
Why do you try to keep away from distros that use APT?

Because maybe he likes compiling everything from source, attends star trek conventions, lives in his parents basement, and does not wash often. Is there anything wrong with that? j/k

NormanFLinux
September 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
If you mean Synaptic, RPM can use it too. PCLOS uses it in place of Mandriva's URPMI package manager. It just works!