PDA

View Full Version : Funny Home Server Usage

MrWES
August 31st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Wife and I had a baby a month ago and my server is located in the baby's room. Anyhow, I hooked up some speakers to my server's sound card, installed alsa and mplayer and I now have 24/7 baby lullabies playing. Wife just turns off the speakers when she doesn't need it. Geeking out my daughter at the age of 1 month -- gotta love it!

alias babymusic='screen mplayer -loop 0 -af volnorm /media/external/Music/Baby/*.mp3'

Bill

jpeddicord
August 31st, 2009, 11:51 PM
I love playing music & sound effects when someone else is on the computer downstairs, freaks them out for a few moments.

(Moving to Cafe)

The Real Dave
September 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Nice :D I love remote access, my bedroom computer just starts randomly singing, or writing messages on screen of its own accord :D

steveneddy
September 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM
I used to log in from the road and play music to wake up my daughters and had recordings of me saying, "Get up!" or "pick up the mess" or "call your dad, He's lonely!"

Mostly to play music and wake up the kids in the morning.

Tutigan
September 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM
I used to log in from the road and play music to wake up my daughters and had recordings of me saying, "Get up!" or "pick up the mess" or "call your dad, He's lonely!"

Mostly to play music and wake up the kids in the morning.

Aww... The sweet things geek-Dad's do!

I have to admit, I do like some of the stuff people do like this!

sideaway
September 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
Can remotely turn on the server at home and take over the stereo... Quite funny, because our home office is joint with our lounge... Mum got freaked out when the stereo started randomly playing music... and the TV was showing words on the screen :P