PDA

View Full Version : gnome-shell update

wildman4god
August 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hey I found a website that has some mockups of what gnome-shell will look like more polished, check it out here. (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/DesignerPlayground/AppBrowsingAlternative02)

looks pretty cool,

enjoy.

bl33d
August 31st, 2009, 09:56 PM
mhm

chucky chuckaluck
August 31st, 2009, 09:57 PM
i hope they're planning to make that menu bigger. i can still see part of the desktop.

SunnyRabbiera
August 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
I can see problems with subcategories too, man the kickoff menu makes a mess out of that one

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 10:34 PM
I like the usability ideas, not perfect but I can definitely see that the design is being driven by a grand concept. Not sure what that is but it seems to have a lot to do with getting users to whatever they need as quickly as possible in a way that's uniform and pleasing to the eye.

On that last note.. Gnome still looks flat. The thing ain't got no booty behind it. Kde has booty or better know as depth to it's widgets, panel etc. Same with OSX, Windows, Moblin.. I mean look at the panel it's just the same old strip of color across the top of the screen.

I know.. I know.. these are mockups but looking at gnome now and then the mockups.. it makes me nervous

bl33d
August 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM
I like the usability ideas, not perfect but I can definitely see that the design is being driven by a grand concept. Not sure what that is but it seems to have a lot to do with getting users to whatever they need as quickly as possible in a way that's uniform and pleasing to the eye.

On that last note.. Gnome still looks flat. The thing ain't got no booty behind it. Kde has booty or better know as depth to it's widgets, panel etc. Same with OSX, Windows, Moblin.. I mean look at the panel it's just the same old strip of color across the top of the screen.

I know.. I know.. these are mockups but looking at gnome now and then the mockups.. it makes me nervous

lol at least it has proper transparency

madjr
August 31st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hey I found a website that has some mockups of what gnome-shell will look like more polished, check it out here. (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/DesignerPlayground/AppBrowsingAlternative02)

looks pretty cool,

enjoy.

gnome-shell is crazy

too much info at once makes this unusable (and desire of massive hair pulling), what are the devs thinking...

things should be easier, not more complicated

this can be almost categorized as a fail

some effects might be cool, but nothing else

t0p
August 31st, 2009, 10:51 PM
That gnome-shell doesn't strike me as being particularly useful. But there are all sorts of possible features in Linux that strike me as a waste of time. I don't use those features, nor will I use gnome-shell by the look of it. I'm sure some users will love it.

Jimleko211
August 31st, 2009, 11:47 PM
The current way that Gnome is going with Gnome 3.0, it's going to lose a lot of users. I certainly know that I will be leaving. That whole "drag icons to workspace to launch" is going to KILL productivity.

I honestly don't see why Gnome needs a major upgrade. It's working perfectly now! KDE got a major update, and a bunch of people left.

Maybe in the next year I need to learn how to use a tiling WM, and just use terminal apps for all things...though that would kill all the youtube vids my girlfriend sends me.

jpeddicord
August 31st, 2009, 11:55 PM
The current way that Gnome is going with Gnome 3.0, it's going to lose a lot of users. I certainly know that I will be leaving. That whole "drag icons to workspace to launch" is going to KILL productivity.

I honestly don't see why Gnome needs a major upgrade. It's working perfectly now! KDE got a major update, and a bunch of people left.

Maybe in the next year I need to learn how to use a tiling WM, and just use terminal apps for all things...though that would kill all the youtube vids my girlfriend sends me.

Given that Shell is still in early development, things will likely change and the situation should improve. I doubt that they'll release GNOME 3 using something that doesn't prove to be as useful as the trusty panel. :P

Jimleko211
September 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
Given that Shell is still in early development, things will likely change and the situation should improve. I doubt that they'll release GNOME 3 using something that doesn't prove to be as useful as the trusty panel. :P
I hope you're right, I love Gnome how it is now.

wildman4god
September 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Well I am liking the looks of it, I will miss trusty old panel but come on people it's been unchanged for almost 8 years, change is inevitable, the Linux community always complains when a windows user tries to switch to ubuntu, and then says they can't do it. Now your the ones who can't accept change. and I agree that knowing the gnome community they will not release it half way done, they already said if it's not read for march 2010 release then they will delay it another cycle. besides I think they will provide a package in synaptic that will allow you to easily change back to the panel. Also yeah the KDE 4 project lost a lot of users but they also gain alot of new ones, primarily users who are new to linux in general, so it will probably be with gnome 3 alot of old users who can't hack change will leave for some other desktop environment but gnome 3 will also please alot of new users.

Jimleko211
September 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
It's not that we can't accept change...we came to Linux after all. We view this change and decide that we don't like this particular change.

wildman4god
September 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM
has anyone ever heard the saying "don't knock it until you try it" ? well in ubuntu 9.10 they will have some prototypes in the repos that we can try out, and it should be in place for ubuntu 10.04 so I am waiting until then to see what it's like. I also like that they are integrating zieghtgieghst into the overlay mode.

madjr
September 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM

+1

but IMO gnome is almost perfect and they only need to make it more pretty and that's it! How hard can that be..

get some artists and you're done, jeezzz

hanzomon4
September 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM
+1

but IMO gnome is almost perfect and they only need to make it more pretty and that's it! How hard can that be..

get some artists and you're done, jeezzz

Just not conceptual artist.. launching firefox would require taking a dump in jet fuel while smoking a tree trunk.

wildman4god
September 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
I was just reading online an interview with mark shuttlesworth that happened right at the launch of 9.04 that when it comes to gnome 3 they might not make us upgrade right away, they might keep the panel for a few more cycles or use their own projects to improve the user interface according to what their users want.

http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/04/mark-shuttleworth-qa-part1-gnome-3-new.html

t0p
September 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
has anyone ever heard the saying "don't knock it until you try it"?

I don't need to try bestiality to know it's not my bag. Ditto gnome-shell.

dragos240
September 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM

Well. I bet there will be a fork. That will be good. 2 Projects. 1 for the new gnome. And another for our beloved current GNOME.

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 01:05 AM
Well I am liking the looks of it, I will miss trusty old panel but come on people it's been unchanged for almost 8 years, change is inevitable, the Linux community always complains when a windows user tries to switch to ubuntu, and then says they can't do it. Now your the ones who can't accept change. and I agree that knowing the gnome community they will not release it half way done, they already said if it's not read for march 2010 release then they will delay it another cycle. besides I think they will provide a package in synaptic that will allow you to easily change back to the panel. Also yeah the KDE 4 project lost a lot of users but they also gain alot of new ones, primarily users who are new to linux in general, so it will probably be with gnome 3 alot of old users who can't hack change will leave for some other desktop environment but gnome 3 will also please alot of new users.

The thing about it is when KDE3 was ditched and KDE4 was put out KDE4 lacked tons of functionality compared to KDE3, hell its still not as functional as KDE3

nitelite
September 1st, 2009, 01:12 AM
I don't need to try bestiality to know it's not my bag. Ditto gnome-shell.

:lolflag: Too right.

DigitalDuality
September 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM
this entire idea is horrid. Just give me a d***ed menu to access my apps, not some blingy desktop zoom out wait 5 seconds for me to get to it IF it's one of my favorites. That makes KDE's newish menu system (both kickstart and lancelot) look good by default.

wildman4god
September 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM
you know the more I think about it the more I am going to miss the panels, your right all they need to do is find a way to dress up the current interface, maby some glassy-like transparencies like windows 7 (sorry, but I really do like windows 7 looks). The nice thing about the panel is it's customization ability. But like I said before, I don't think ubuntu is going to switch to it right away, and may not at all, because they have some of their own plans in mind for interface changes. lets hope the listen to the community and deliver the next generation in awsome UI's building upon what works, besides they finally fixed the issue with the panel apps randomly moving about the panel when you login sometimes. though I do like the zieghtgieghst idea, Makes a better search tool than the current one (which isn't bad but could be better)

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM
you know the more I think about it the more I am going to miss the panels, your right all they need to do is find a way to dress up the current interface, maby some glassy-like transparencies like windows 7 (sorry, but I really do like windows 7 looks).

Yeh but to hell with glassy looks if the thing is unusable and feature lacking.

wildman4god
September 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Yeh but to hell with glassy looks if the thing is unusable and feature lacking.

True, but that being said, it shouldn't be hard just to add a new themeing engine that handles transparencies a little better or build it into compiz and leave everything else thats working alone.

BetaguyGZT
September 1st, 2009, 02:59 AM
Gnome Shell is a terrible idea. There are mockups and ideas for Gnome 3.0 (http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=185&PHPSESSID=71a00e9fd8d0d3641fb5ce0bae687958) that are WAAAAAY better, far more useable, and more attractive. This whole approach is just over-the-top.

Looks like it'll be XFCE and E17 for me.

Bios Element
September 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
I love all the hate in this thread. Seriously, you can always use GNOME 2.0 instead of shell. It's not like this is windows and you have to either like it or else. Heaven forbid they experiment with new ideas and attempt to improve things.

mrgnash
September 1st, 2009, 04:05 AM

Just use a browser for web stuff (including video), and a terminal for everything else in a tiling wm environment (wmii is the best :P ); that's what I do.

On topic: I can't see myself using this... I look at that GUI, and all I can think is about is how much quicker I can do all of that from the command-line.

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 04:15 AM
I love all the hate in this thread. Seriously, you can always use GNOME 2.0 instead of shell. It's not like this is windows and you have to either like it or else. Heaven forbid they experiment with new ideas and attempt to improve things.

Obviously you never used KDE4

Bios Element
September 1st, 2009, 04:17 AM
Obviously you never used KDE4

I have. I actually rather like it but it is rather unstable at the moment. So is there any point to this remark or was that just an attempt to say that Gnome Shell will ruin Gnome? >.>

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 04:30 AM
I have. I actually rather like it but it is rather unstable at the moment. So is there any point to this remark or was that just an attempt to say that Gnome Shell will ruin Gnome? >.>

yes KDE4 right now sucks because it is unstable, and it lacks a lot of functionality still.

Regenweald
September 1st, 2009, 04:59 AM
True, but that being said, it shouldn't be hard just to add a new themeing engine that handles transparencies a little better or build it into compiz and leave everything else thats working alone.

IT would actually be quite hard. Transparency takes a LOT of work and achieves next to nothing. It is one thing to say 'transparency' but it is quite another to code it.

madjr
September 1st, 2009, 05:01 AM
yes KDE4 right now sucks because it is unstable, and it lacks a lot of functionality still.

what kde4 r u using 4.1?

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM
what kde4 r u using 4.1?

I have tried 4.3, its very buggy it seems

madjr
September 1st, 2009, 05:28 AM
I have tried 4.3, its very buggy it seems

am using it right now (in fact for months)and is very stable (except the beta) with my acer lappy with an ati/open drivers (seems less stable with intel graphics tho)

for me however 4.2.4 was rock stable

SunnyRabbiera
September 1st, 2009, 05:31 AM
am using it right now (in fact for months)and is very stable (except the beta) with my acer lappy with an ati/open drivers (seems less stable with intel graphics tho)

for me however 4.2.4 was rock stable

Yeh i got a intel card sadly

Methuselah
September 1st, 2009, 07:15 AM
Gnome shell looks interesting to me.

1.I don't get what's the problem with the menu taking up most of the screen.
It's not like you can do anything else when the menu has focus.
Oh teh noes, when you click firefox it fills the screen. Fail! </sarcasm>

2. I use the same few applications frequently and I think I'm typical.
In that case, 9 times out of 10 the program I need will be in favourites.
If not, it's not more than 1 additional click for 'more' and this immense burden will not be incurred subsequently.

3. It's still early and some concerns might yet be addressed.

If there are usability concerns I am certain there are avenues to express opinions where they might be more likely to be heard and even influence development.
It's not like this is being developed behind closed doors where you can't get early versions to try, evaluate and test.
But I doubt simply claiming that you hate it without even trying it will give your views enough weight to get any notice in the right circles.
In my opinion, an informed evaluation, even if negative, is a courtesy earned by the those who have been working on Gnome.

Jimleko211
September 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Gnome shell looks interesting to me.

1.I don't get what's the problem with the menu taking up most of the screen.
It's not like you can do anything else when the menu has focus.
Oh teh noes, when you click firefox it fills the screen. Fail! </sarcasm>

2. I use the same few applications frequently and I think I'm typical.
In that case, 9 times out of 10 the program I need will be in favourites.
If not, it's not more than 1 additional click for 'more' and this immense burden will not be incurred subsequently.

3. It's still early and some concerns might yet be addressed.

If there are usability concerns I am certain there are avenues to express opinions where they might be more likely to be heard and even influence development.
It's not like this is being developed behind closed doors where you can't get early versions to try, evaluate and test.
But I doubt simply claiming that you hate it without even trying it will give your views enough weight to get any notice in the right circles.
In my opinion, an informed evaluation, even if negative, is a courtesy earned by the those who have been working on Gnome.
It's not an ease-of-use issue. Once you learn to use the new GNOME, I'm pretty sure you can remember it quick.

The problem is SPEED, PRODUCTIVITY. Which is more fast? Zooming out, dragging an icon to your workspace, zooming back in, or going Applications > Internet > Firefox (or even faster, clicking a firefox icon on the panel?)

I'd certainly be ABLE to use the new GNOME. Desire, however, is a whole other problem.

stwschool
September 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Personally I like it. If I can map a screen corner to the zoom out then it's basically integrating a really nice menu into my Expo (which I find improves my productivity no end). I can see this working beautifully, and these new mock-ups are even better than the old ones I saw previously. I can't wait.

wildman4god
September 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
IT would actually be quite hard. Transparency takes a LOT of work and achieves next to nothing. It is one thing to say 'transparency' but it is quite another to code it.

I didn't mean have transparencies per-say but the idea was to dress up gnome a little better even if it's just a better default theme and a really good wallpaper, but no matter how you dress up gnome it does more than "achieves next to nothing." Remember to an avarage computer user looks is everything, if you suggest to a fed-up windows user to try linux and they boot it up and from the get go it looks like windows 95 they will dump it and switch to mac without trying it any further 9 times out of ten, we need ubuntu to give people the "WOW" factor from the first time they boot a livecd. Mac is famous for this and now even windows 7 with aero achieves this to an extent. And ubuntu is all about reaching linux out to "normal" computer users, not linux geeks that can see past the ugly and appreciate the functionality.

Jimleko211
September 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
The only major qualm I have in a default Gnome installation is the horrible minimize affect. I mean seriously, it's like..ugh. And I fix that using Compiz. The only thing that I think Gnome needs to do is fix the minimize affect to not make it capable of clawing out eyes, and that'd be good enough for me for Gnome 3.0.

nitelite
September 2nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
:o Still looks as dated as the current Gnome. The shell is a big change so I hope the team

leave the option of sticking with the current version. :confused:

nitelite
September 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
you know the more I think about it the more I am going to miss the panels, your right all they need to do is find a way to dress up the current interface, maby some glassy-like transparencies like windows 7 (sorry, but I really do like windows 7 looks). The nice thing about the panel is it's customization ability. But like I said before, I don't think ubuntu is going to switch to it right away, and may not at all, because they have some of their own plans in mind for interface changes. lets hope the listen to the community and deliver the next generation in awsome UI's building upon what works, besides they finally fixed the issue with the panel apps randomly moving about the panel when you login sometimes. though I do like the zieghtgieghst idea, Makes a better search tool than the current one (which isn't bad but could be better)

That would mean a step up to RGBA from RGB just like KDE has done.

[h2o]
September 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
The problem is SPEED, PRODUCTIVITY. Which is more fast? Zooming out, dragging an icon to your workspace, zooming back in, or going Applications > Internet > Firefox (or even faster, clicking a firefox icon on the panel?)
With the current build launching Firefox is as easy as
1. Open overlay by clicking "Activities" or pressing the Windows-button or moving the mouse to the top left corner)
2. Press Firefox icon

That launches Firefox on your current workspace. That is at least as fast as going through the application menu and only slightly slower than starting it from a shortcut on the panel (which I usually do).

mrgnash
September 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
What I don't get is why Gnome supposedly looks more "dated" than KDE4? I mean, apart from a fancier-looking panel, and Plasma, how does KDE4 look any more "modern" than Gnome (provided one is using Gnome with compiz).

hanzomon4
September 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
What I don't get is why Gnome supposedly looks more "dated" than KDE4? I mean, apart from a fancier-looking panel, and Plasma, how does KDE4 look any more "modern" than Gnome (provided one is using Gnome with compiz).

I would say depth... KDE's "chrome"(?) Looks physical where as Gnome has always looked flat to me. Also the things KDE is doing in terms of concept seem a lot deeper/fresher then Gnome. Even the subtle things like the smooth panel animations in KDE just gives it this sense of solidness that Gnome lacks.

I don't even think it's so much about looks, it's more about the feel.

wersdaluv
September 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM

That's exactly how I feel. Check the Aurora engine out. This changed gtk. Too bad, it isn't getting the attention it deserves.

As for the panel, it really needs major revamp. After all, it won't exist on GNOME 3 so I'm expecting an improvement in this department.

SushiR
September 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
The problem is SPEED, PRODUCTIVITY. Which is more fast? Zooming out, dragging an icon to your workspace, zooming back in, or going Applications > Internet > Firefox (or even faster, clicking a firefox icon on the panel?) Lol?! Have you ever tried gnome-do? I have started Firefox by hitting "Meta+Space", then entering "f" before you've even moved your mouse pointer anyway near an icon or the panel. I don't mean to insult you, but speaking of SPEEED and PRODUCTIVITY and giving poor examples doesn't match very well.

You will reach productivity with an intuitive interface AND intuitive features. Something like gnome-do can extremely speed up the way you manage your daily tasks. And as far as I bknow something like that will be part of Gnome Shell. Anyway, to judge Gnome3 which isn't even half done, is a bit unfair, isn't it? Instead of complaining about it, you can bring in your ideas of speed and productivity to the Gnome project. Or just wait until it's done and then have a proper look at it.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
It's not an ease-of-use issue. Once you learn to use the new GNOME, I'm pretty sure you can remember it quick.

I'd certainly be ABLE to use the new GNOME. Desire, however, is a whole other problem.

Actually, you have this wrong ;)
The workspace overlay can be opened via a hot corner; slap your mouse pointer to the top left of the screen and it's open. The overlay opens on mouse down, so you can open it + an application or a workspace in a single click. (Just like a menu, but bigger).

You can presently click on an application to open it in the active workspace as in the current menu. It will drop you right to that workspace. You can drag it to a specific workspace if you are particular.

Regenweald
September 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Actually, you have this wrong ;)
The workspace overlay can be opened via a hot corner; slap your mouse pointer to the top left of the screen and it's open. The overlay opens on mouse down, so you can open it + an application or a workspace in a single click.

You can presently click on an application to open it in the active workspace as in the current menu. It will drop you right to that workspace. You can drag it to a specific workspace if you are particular.

I guess it helps to actually use the Shell huh ? :wink:

Mr. Picklesworth
September 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I guess it helps to actually use the Shell huh ? :wink:

In fairness, it's changing quite rapidly. They just added in the ability to drag an application or window onto the Add Workspace button, which moves it into a new workspace. No effects for that yet, but it's nice and natural. (I've wanted it to be like that for a while!).

Jesus_Valdez
September 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
It amaze me the ability of internet users to build strong believes based on some pictures and schemes. I think it says a lot of the human spirit.

On the other hand, I think that gnome-shell will provide the "wow-factor" that someone mention earlier in the thread, it's going to be something new and, probably, never-seen-before.

TubaTodd
September 5th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I'll chime in. Heck...why not. When I first saw Gnome Shell my heart sank. Why the crap would I want my application launching menu to take up the whole screen? The more I have seen it and the more I have watched videos of it in action and the more I've seen some new features the more it is growing on me. I HOPE that after the user-trials are done that there is a compromise. What I mean is that, I would like to see the ability to add applets and app shortcuts to the "new panel" next to the activities button. I would hate lose my weather, sticky, lock screen and cpu speed applets from my panel...not to mention my 5 (most frequently used) app shortcuts. I don't know what is up with that vertical panel on the left (seen in some videos) but it either has to go or have the option to make it go away.

Someone mentioned better ideas on the Gnome-look Topaz page. Check this one out.

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/A+Gnome-Shell+Variant?content=108332

Will there be changes in Gnome 3, of course. I am open to changes in my life, but I have always had a rule. I never agree to a "change for the sake of change." If "different" doesn't have a reason or a purpose, then why change things?

SushiR
September 5th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Someone mentioned better ideas on the Gnome-look Topaz page. Check this one out.

Whoa, awesome! I really like the look and the idea behind it...

wildman4god
September 5th, 2009, 03:44 AM
They have the developer of gnome-do working on it, I think they plan to add some kind of dock at the bottom for applets and shortcuts as well as faster task switching, but don't quote me on that.

Anywho, ubuntu users won't have to worry until gnome 3.2 is released because I read an interview with mark shuttles worth that he wants to wait until then to implement it to avoid the problems they had switching to kde 4 and I know MS has his own vision of what ubuntu could look like eventually so ubuntu may not end up with gnome-shell at all or maybe a modified version of it.

Zlatan
September 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
They have the developer of gnome-do working on it, I think they plan to add some kind of dock at the bottom for applets and shortcuts as well as faster task switching, but don't quote me on that.

Anywho, ubuntu users won't have to worry until gnome 3.2 is released because I read an interview with mark shuttles worth that he wants to wait until then to implement it to avoid the problems they had switching to kde 4 and I know MS has his own vision of what ubuntu could look like eventually so ubuntu may not end up with gnome-shell at all or maybe a modified version of it.

do you have a link for that interview? thanks

Regenweald
September 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
In fairness, it's changing quite rapidly. They just added in the ability to drag an application or window onto the Add Workspace button, which moves it into a new workspace. No effects for that yet, but it's nice and natural. (I've wanted it to be like that for a while!).

And the whole workspaces thing seems to be a feature that will stay out of your way if you don't need it, so I'll still enjoy the cleaner code base, zeitgiest, mutter etc. With -28 out of the way i think development will become feverish now...

bornagainpenguin
September 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
all they need to do is find a way to dress up the current interface, maby some glassy-like transparencies like windows 7 (sorry, but I really do like windows 7 looks). The nice thing about the panel is it's customization ability.

Agreed! The biggest issue there is a lack of theming that takes advantage of the panels customization abilities. I use a transparency image with my current set up from an old old theme package which has since disappeared from the net that gives my eeepc a real kick! :)

Here's someone who understands how sometimes less is more! I'm actually liking the looks of this mock up much better than the official stuff!

--bornagainpenguin

PS: If you like the screen shot, I've uploaded the transparency for you to use, since the guy with the original pack has disappeared I doubt he cares...

wildman4god
September 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
do you have a link for that interview? thanks

http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/04/mark-shuttleworth-qa-part1-gnome-3-new.html

NormanFLinux
September 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Gnome 3,0 will probably use the Remix desktop by default. After trying it, I've never had a need to launch the classic desktop. Everything can be in a favorites folder or added to it and people have a couple of applications they use most frequently. I think that's the future of Gnome.