PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Exodus!

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 09:35 PM
...Is Facebook doomed to someday become an online ghost town, run by zombie users who never update their pages and packs of marketers picking at the corpses of social circles they once hoped to exploit?...http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/magazine/30FOB-medium-t.html?em

bl33d
August 31st, 2009, 09:36 PM
u make a lot of threads

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 09:44 PM
u make a lot of threads

true, but most of them are polls
this one isn't
hurray :)

Hogosha
August 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Facebook Exodus is interesting but not nearly as informative as Facebook Laviticus

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/magazine/30FOB-medium-t.html?em

by the way, the article seems a little...not close to truth :)

LowSky
August 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
by the way, the article seems a little...not close to truth :)

I know plenty of people who are loosing faith and interest in Facebook. I have found myself wondering if I really need the website. The same is occurs on Myspace as it became overridden with spam accounts News Corp features to bring revenue.

The "coolness" was lost when Facebook allowed anyone to join. It was much better as a invite only college alumni site than as a social gathering website for young and old. How "cool" is it when your mom can join?

I think people finally started to realize that anyone can see them. Google your name and all your personal info becomes available. It's kinda scary.

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 10:20 PM
Almost everyone I know uses facebook and they're quite active. My phone usage would be ridiculous if facebook weren't around.

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 10:26 PM
I know plenty of people who are loosing faith and interest in Facebook. I have found myself wondering if I really need the website. The same is occurs on Myspace as it became overridden with spam accounts News Corp features to bring revenue.

The "coolness" was lost when Facebook allowed anyone to join. It was much better as a invite only college alumni site than as a social gathering website for young and old. How "cool" is it when your mom can join?

I think people finally started to realize that anyone can see them. Google your name and all your personal info becomes available. It's kinda scary."losing faith" is the best way to put it.

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 10:29 PM

I think people finally started to realize that anyone can see them. Google your name and all your personal info becomes available. It's kinda scary.

there is the quite obvious "don't use your real last name" way to fix the last part.

there was once hi5, then it died
myspace took people that were from hi5, then it died too
then facebook came into the spotlight
the history will Surely show that it will die too, it has nothing to do with coolness - it's just people getting bored and changing stuff

hope the next one is google's :)

steeleyuk
August 31st, 2009, 10:57 PM
As with most things, its the novelty effect. It'll wear off the same way it has done with MySpace. Twitter is the current big thing at the moment, until something else comes along.

Not to say Facebook is going to go anywhere quickly, these things all take varying amounts of time.

XubuRoxMySox
September 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM
I like blogs better than the social networking sites. I get to know a person better by what they write than by the short little quips and cellphone photos and silly quiz results. I have a Facebook because a lot of my friends on it want me to have one too, but I really only log once a week or so and spend about 3 minutes there unless someone has something really interesting going on. Social networking will come and go, but blogs will outlast them all.

-Robin

malcam
September 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Facebook should be fine. My only concern is their interest in becoming more public, like Twitter. People are attracted to Facebook for it's relative privacy from the internet, if they push the public thing too far then they'll lose users.

K.Mandla
September 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM
u make a lot of threads
lol. +1.

Regenweald
September 1st, 2009, 12:50 AM
u make a lot of threads

:) I was thinking the same thing.....

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
How about an exodus for all social networking sites :)

With the launch of Google Wave at the end of September blogs will be more integrated anyway, so Facebook, MySpace, Hi5 etc will all die slowly...

chriskin
September 1st, 2009, 01:10 AM
How about an exodus for all social networking sites :)

With the launch of Google Wave at the end of September blogs will be more integrated anyway, so Facebook, MySpace, Hi5 etc will all die slowly...

google is already up to something like that? i thought that it was just me wishing :)

malcam
September 1st, 2009, 01:12 AM

Google Wave's just a document management system - a fancy document management system - but nothing more.

chriskin
September 1st, 2009, 01:13 AM
Google Wave's just a document management system - a fancy document management system - but nothing more.

oh. somebody just grounded my hopes right now :(

malcam
September 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM
oh. somebody just grounded my hopes right now :(

Sorry! ;) Just there was a lot of hype about it, and there still is, but if you take a step back and look at the presentation they did, it's not that amazing.

chriskin
September 1st, 2009, 01:25 AM
Sorry! ;) Just there was a lot of hype about it, and there still is, but if you take a step back and look at the presentation they did, it's not that amazing.

yes i just saw the article on wikipedia
ok it's cool but not THAT cool like i expected with a short search on google

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM
I watched the presentation and its pretty basic still but Im quite certain that extra applications for Google Wave will make it more than it is now.

And it was already more than a document manager in its early form. A wave is a topic and different people talk about it, get invited etc so its got similar features to what social networking sites offer. SInce its a Google project it may also integrate fully with Orkut pretty quickly, which is already a fully developed social networking site.

I think the more apps are written for Wave the more popular it will be and make 'standard' networking sites less and less relevant.

jonathonblake
September 1st, 2009, 02:23 AM

But what a document management system.

I can easily see a company using it for CRM, to replace the second life/facebook/myspace/twitter/etc, etc, etc social networking sites, wikis, and web forums that they now maintain, and/or monitor.

They will have maybe ten individuals whose function is damage control on the 100K+ web forums, wikis, and social networking sites out there, with the rest of their resources being devoted to their in-house GWave.

jonathon

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 02:27 AM
I have already registered Gmail/Wave accounts for me and several colleagues at work as its unifying a lot of things.

By the end of the year there will be enough extra apps live so we'll be able to see what it can really do and what not.

chriskin
September 1st, 2009, 02:28 AM
I have already registered Gmail/Wave accounts for me and several colleagues at work as its unifying a lot of things.

By the end of the year there will be enough extra apps live so we'll be able to see what it can really do and what not.

wave accounts? where from?

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Regular Googlemail accounts, they should work for Wave - just like hotmail accounts work for MSN.

chriskin
September 1st, 2009, 02:33 AM
Regular Googlemail accounts, they should work for Wave - just like hotmail accounts work for MSN.

i mean, can you use wave right now? isn't it supposed to start a month from now?

Tibuda
September 1st, 2009, 02:57 AM
i mean, can you use wave right now? isn't it supposed to start a month from now?

You can sign up for testing in http://wave.google.com/
I'm still waiting for an invite.

chriskin
September 1st, 2009, 02:59 AM
You can sign up for testing in http://wave.google.com/
I'm still waiting for an invite.

ah ok
i have already signed for an invite :)

magmon
September 1st, 2009, 03:19 AM

Google my name and you get a black corporate executive and a man in prison for murder. I am ungoogleable :).

I believe sites like facebook where doomed from the start. Texting is so much easier.

mrgnash
September 1st, 2009, 04:29 AM
My hope that Twitter will be next is chastened by the fact that some other ridiculous social network type thing will arise to take its place.

winjeel
September 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
.... Google your name and all your personal info becomes available. It's kinda scary.

I tried that, and I found that I'm an acclaimed painter, author, lecturer at the Univeristy of Bristol, and a classical composer. I'm completely multi-talented. :D

Johnsie
September 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I don't think there will be an exodus of Facebook... I think the way people will access sites like Facebook will change though. Window managers will have more social networking facilities embeded into them.

Have a look at Moblin. They've come up with quite an interesting way of embedding social/networking and instant messaging in to the desktop. I expect over time that will become a standard thing... The internet based desktop.

http://moblin.org

I found Moblin annoying to use, but with a bit of refinement they could be onto something.

nothingspecial
September 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM
I hate facebook.

Coming soon my anti-social networking site .......

ade234uk
September 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Facebook has serious Privacy Issues. I did sign up about 2 years ago, but never completed a profile and I am glad I did not. For other people, like my GF they love it.

Hope I don't sound too moody, but the idea of talking to people from school who I have not seen in over 15 years and too see how old they look, and to hear about their jobs and how many kids they have does not appeal to me whatsoever.

I'm not up with Facebook, but from what I have seen you can tell the whole world that you have the *****, or tell burglars in your area that you got out every day between the hours of x to x , and this is where the problem starts with your own privacy.

I am sure people take it seriously or get paranoid when online friends do not respond, or information about your company, boss friend gets accidently posted. On top of this it sounds like a big job to keep your profile updated. It's not for me.

koshatnik
September 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'd like a version called FacePalm where I can list everyone I've met in my life I couldn't stand. Instead of giving out friend invites, you give out electronic facepalms that scream out "YOU SUCK!"

nothingspecial
September 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'd like a version called FacePalm where I can list everyone I've met in my life I couldn't stand. Instead of giving out friend invites, you give out electronic facepalms that scream out "YOU SUCK!"

I hate facebook.

Coming soon my anti-social networking site .......

;)

ericmc783
September 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
I can remember, just a few short years ago, when Xanga blogs where "THEE IN!". Everybody who was anybody on the net had one (atleast among the 13-29 crowd). Nowadays, noone even mentions xanga, even though it still exists.

All this stuff is cyclical. Facebook, as it gets more and more corporate and bloated, will fall from the pedestal it occupies, to be replaced by some other SocNet type site which does something revolutionary or different, and cool.

Ric_NYC
September 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/magazine/30FOB-medium-t.html?em

That sounds scary...

BOOOOO!!!

Mateo
September 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Facebook is for people you used to know, Twitter is for people you'd like to get to know better.

chriskin
September 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
Facebook is for people you used to know, Twitter is for people you'd like to get to know better.

not true, i have met many people through hi5 and myspace, i would have met even more if i kept following the stream into facebook - i just stopped doing so.

koleoptero
September 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I deleted my facebook account and don't regret it.

HappinessNow
September 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM

They are exactly the same people.

I deleted my facebook account and don't regret it.

You do know they still 'own' all your information and any post you made?