PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu install says my HDD is empty

vfontanela
August 31st, 2009, 09:30 PM
[SOLVED]

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to reinstall my Ubuntu from zero, but when I get into the partitioning screen it says my Hard disk is empty, without any partition. But it has partitions.

I've already tried to mount the partitions - yes, the system mounts them, - and then run the install, but no success. I tried also to run:

sudo cfdisk

And all partitions are there.

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
Size: 160041885696 bytes, 160.0 GB
Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 19457

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)

sda1 Boot Primary NTFS [] 137181.22
sda5 Boot, NC Logical Linux ext3 21854.57
Logical Free Space 0.04*
sda3 Primary Linux swap / Solaris 1003.46

Here there is a screenshot:
http://yfrog.com/e8screenshotmksp

Thanks a lot for helping.

ugm6hr
August 31st, 2009, 09:33 PM
If you are planning to reinstall, it doesn't matter.

You can just wipe everything and start again.

vfontanela
August 31st, 2009, 09:37 PM
I can't because my back up is in other partition, as well as the other operational system I unfortunatelly still need to do some things.

I need it to show all the partitions so I can delete only the linux partitions and then create it again or make the partitioning part with cfdisk in a way Ubuntu install can recognizes it.

ugm6hr
August 31st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Try the manual install option.

vfontanela
August 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I tried, but it doesn't show my partitions.

I also tried to verify my partition table using fdisk, but no result.

tal007
August 31st, 2009, 10:19 PM
I absolutely agree with you. Proceed with some cautions. I can see NTFS boot sector on your 1st partition. I also see Ubuntu boot loader on partition 5, I believe . Sometimes during installation Ubuntu relocate boot code from the boot sector to some other location. Windows may not be be aware of it, bucause GRUB is the one that looks after all these. If you delete partions that belongs to Windows without Windows knowledge, you might see a Hurricane in your Windows World.

vfontanela
August 31st, 2009, 11:46 PM
Wow, it looks like it was a partitio table disorder.

I deleted the last partition (Swap) with Cfdisk, then when I saved it, it recorded the partition table again. Then Ubuntu install was able to see my partitions again.

Thanks everyone.