PDA

View Full Version : Movies you like

PryGuy
February 4th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Hello all!
Bob D. started a thread about the music we like and I decided to do the same with the movies.:)

kingsidy
February 4th, 2006, 07:15 AM
number one: The Matrix and a close second: Gladiator

PryGuy
February 4th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I can't share your preferences actually. :)
I loved how the Gladiator begins. But the end is typical for the most of the Hollywood movies.
The last movie that I liked is Star Wars Episode III if we talk about the mainstream cinema.

Iandefor
February 4th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Seducing Dr. Lewis is one of the best, imho. As well as Monseiur Ibrahim, Ikiru, Kontroll, Shaolin Soccer, Office Space, and a host of other films.

EDIT: I just watched The Red Violin. It tops everything else here. No questions.

joselin
February 4th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Last times i saw The constant gardener and Mr. & Mrs. Smith, the first is better (great film), but the second is funnier.

Regards.

Lovechild
February 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Good:
Silence of the Lambs (A master piece)
Thirteen Days
American Psycho
Fallen
Taxi
A Beautiful Mind

Bad:
Munich (messy incoherent storytelling - avoid at all costs)

super
February 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM
'crash' = great movie

krusbjorn
February 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Memento, Fear and Loathing Las Vegas, The Shawshank Redemption.

psychicdragon
February 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Some Movies I like are:

A Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
A Fistfull of Dollars
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Hang 'em High
Seven Samurai
My Neighbour Totoro
The Fifth Element
The Big Blue
The Castle of Cagliostro

and more.

Derek Djons
February 4th, 2006, 01:31 PM
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- Hero
- The House Of Flying Daggers
- Fist Of Legend
- Battle Royale
- Battle Royale II
- Pitch Black
- Chronicles Of The Riddick
- Man On Fire
- The Thin Red Line
- We Were Soldiers
- 28 Days Later
- Dawn Of The Dead
- Underworld
- Pulp Fiction
- Kill Bill
- Kill Bill II
- Akira
- Appleseed
- Ninja Scrolls
- Ice Age
- Finding Nemo
- The Evil Cult
- The Hitchhickers Guide To The Galacxy
- Van Helsing
- The Boondock Saints
- Spanglish
- Lost In Translation
- The Others
- The Patriot

And many more. A few years ago I didn't liked to watch movies as much as I do now. Back then going to the theather was more fun than home. But now on my 70cm widescreen TV and a paycheck with which I can afford to buy eight DVD's a month I love it. Hiring movies is nothing for me. I like to watch a lot of movies more than once on a time that I desire and I also like to have the special / directors cut / combination pack edition.

asimon
February 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
The best movie I saw the last couple of years was Dogville (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276919/). Very slow and somwhat boring at start but then it captures you ...

The movie is about "the tendency of the human race, when having some kind of power, to exploit those who need."

bonzodog
February 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I only buy good movies on DVD, but my favourites have to be:

Swordfish
The Matrix
Once upon a time in the west
Duck Soup (Marx Bros- hilarious)
Gladiator
The Magic Roundabout
Sneakers
Desperado & Once Upon a time in Mexico - These are really cool films.

mips
February 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM
It's sad but these days hollywood only produces crap. They make crap sequels. They do crap remakes of old movies. The $25mil actors cant act. Everything is about special effects, screw story line and just a little sense of reality.

WTF happened ???

I find myself watching more & more TCM than other movie channels. No, was not born in the days of westerns, B&W. More and more good stuff is coming out of europe and the east, I just wish there would be more of it. Every now and again we also have the occasional foreign langauge movies with subtiitles from various countries in the world and I must say there is some good stuff out there.

Good movies:
Ronin
Fallen
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
The Crimson Rivers
Shawhank Redemption
Joan of Arc
The Usual Suspects
American Beauty
Trainspotting
The Deep Blue
The 5th Element
Conspiracy Theory (and i cannot stand Julia Roberts)
El mariachi
Desperado
The Transporter
Titan AE
K-Pax
The Italian Job (original)
12 Monkeys
The Ghost and the Darkness
The Professional
Amelie
Lost of the recent animation stuff is also pretty good.
Havent seen Bud Spencer & Terence Hill in years but would love to get DVD's if they are available.

I cannot remember anymore...

bored2k
February 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM
It's sad but these days hollywood only produces crap. They make crap sequels. They do crap remakes of old movies. The $25mil actors cant act. Everything is about special effects, screw story line and just a little sense of reality.
I disagree.Although there are some bad actors in that range, there are also good ones just like it is in any monetary range for actors. That an actor is ridiculously well paid doesn't mean he's just a lamer who's good looking.

Nicole Kidman. The girl got game.
Adam Sandler. Slapstick humor only? watch Spanglish/Punch-drunk love.
Reese Witherspoon. Her comedy movies (comedy is a genre. being funny and silly doesn't mean the person can't act). Walk the Line.
Jim Carrey. period.
Johnny Depp.

As you can see, I don't think it's fair on the actors to label them like that.

bored2k
February 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM
shawshank redemption
sideways
lemony snicket's a series of unfortunate events
american beauty
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

were all good movies. i cant remember more cause i just woke up.

iMac
February 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Band of Brothers

johnyz
February 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Outsiders
Heat
Jaws
and everything by George A. Romero

Saying that, i'm not a movie person and have'nt seen a film in yonks.

mips
February 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I disagree.Although there are some bad actors in that range, there are also good ones just like it is in any monetary range for actors. That an actor is ridiculously well paid doesn't mean he's just a lamer who's good looking.

Nicole Kidman. The girl got game.
Adam Sandler. Slapstick humor only? watch Spanglish/Punch-drunk love.
Reese Witherspoon. Her comedy movies (comedy is a genre. being funny and silly doesn't mean the person can't act). Walk the Line.
Jim Carrey. period.
Johnny Depp.

As you can see, I don't think it's fair on the actors to label them like that.

I'll give you Johnny Depp, very talented actor and I think he picks his roles well.

Nicole Kidman is ok but not great.

Adam Sandler, you said it, slapstick only but at least he gives you a good laught.

Reese Whitherspoon, nah, maybe I havent seem something good with her in it.

Jim Carrey, sorry this guy sux. He has the ability to pull faces and thats about it. He actually annoys the **** out of me.

mips
February 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
The Boondock Saints

public_void
February 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Agreed

Joan of Arc
That movie is great, IMO it is one to watch, but because it isn't a huge Hollywood blockbuster, only made for TV, no-one sees it. Seen it twice, loved it twice.

A couple I liked
Enemy at the Gates
The Corporation (Documentry Movie, but a real eye opener)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

NMUrugbysteve
February 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I just saw Goodbye, Lenin! That movie was amazing.

fuscia
February 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
all about lily chou chou
crouching tiger, hidden dragon
cocteau's beauty and the beast
diner
american graffiti
stand by me
outlaw josey wales
shadow of a doubt

i'm sure i've left some out.

PryGuy
February 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Well, it's my turn, the last movie that I just loved was "Captain Corelli's Mandolin". And the last movie that I've seen the other day and found it funny and amuzing was "Josie and The Pussycats". I'm not much into blockbusters actually though "Gone In Sixty Seconds" and "Star Wars Episode III" were nice and professionally made IMHO.;) "Finding Nemo" was nice too...

tseliot
February 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Blade Runner
24 Hour Party People
Starwars (all the episodes)

krusbjorn
February 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Jim Carrey, sorry this guy sux. He has the ability to pull faces and thats about it. He actually annoys the **** out of me.

It's really sad he has been the Ace Ventura type of character in 95% of his movies, but if you watch "Man on the Moon" or "Eternal Sunshine" you realize he is a really good actor who has gotten the wrong scripts.

eriqk
February 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Mmmmno.
Better watch Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind then. It's a great movie, and shows Carrey can do more than make faces. I have yet to see Man On The Moon, but I hear he's great there, too.
Some actors just need a good script and a good director. Same is true for Robin Williams and Bill Murray. Shame they usually get cast to do the Jim Carrey/Robin Williams/Bill Murray Show.

Hollywood is a strange place, by the way. I still can't believe the guy who did The Limey is the same guy who did Ocean's Twelve. What a piece of poo that was.

Anyway, the Films I Like:
Brasil
Alien
Los Amantes Del Circulo Polar
Jacky Brown
Most Kubrik stuff
Just about anything by Tarkovski, but Solaris beats them all (even Stalker)
Most stuff by the Coen brothers
Blow Up
Heavy
Ghost World
Most stuff by Jim Jarmush

And so on.

Groet, Erik

Vorian
February 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
True Romance

mips
February 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Blade Runner

Original or Directors cut ?

Forgot about that seeing i have it.

mips
February 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM
It's really sad he has been the Ace Ventura type of character in 95% of his movies, but if you watch "Man on the Moon" or "Eternal Sunshine" you realize he is a really good actor who has gotten the wrong scripts.

Hmm, havent seen those. Why ? He annoyed me, therefore I avaoid his movies but I will look into those next time i'm in the rental shop.

mips
February 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Mmmmno.
Some actors just need a good script and a good director. Same is true for Robin Williams and Bill Murray. Shame they usually get cast to do the Jim Carrey/Robin Williams/Bill Murray Show.

Lost In Translation was dry/slow but I really enjoyed it.

bored2k
February 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hmm, havent seen those. Why ? He annoyed me, therefore I avaoid his movies but I will look into those next time i'm in the rental shop.
Thus, I don't think it's fair of you to label when you haven't even seen his serious roles. Eternal Sunshine is an excellent movie and not simply because he's in it. Kate Winslet is strikingly good on that one, and overall, the movie's great. It's like labeling Tom Hanks a lame actor for his role in You've Got Mail.

majikstreet
February 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
the matrix
air force one

(i've seen a lot more movies, those are just my all time favs)

super
February 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
i should add:

sin city
pirates of the caribbean
back to the future
once upon a time in mexico

bored2k
February 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Forrest Gump.
Pirates of the Caribbean. I thought the scenery was purely mind blowing (just like that of Lemony Snickets).
Batman.
Donnie Brasco.

eriqk
February 4th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Batman.

Which one- the '66 one, or any of the newer ones?
Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward rules for sheer sillyness. Of the later ones, Batman Returns is the standout one. Meow.

Groet, Erik

johnyz
February 4th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Anything by the shaw brothers or to come out of Golden Harvest studios.:KS

lcg
February 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
My favourite ones are (in no particular order):

Hero (for the incredible story telling and the wonderful use of colour)
American Beauty (for its great/strange characters and the dull suburban life portrayed)
Grosse Pointe Blank (really funny, yet still criticising society and violence, and, of course, has a great soundtrack)

Lars

mips
February 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Thus, I don't think it's fair of you to label when you haven't even seen his serious roles. Eternal Sunshine is an excellent movie and not simply because he's in it. Kate Winslet is strikingly good on that one, and overall, the movie's great. It's like labeling Tom Hanks a lame actor for his role in You've Got Mail.

What do you expect when the majority of the movies were crap. You simply try and avoid movies with the same actor in future, the same as everything else in life. Is that my fault or his fault ?

I did say I will look out for those 2 movies next time I'm in the video shop.

fuscia
February 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward rules for sheer sillyness.

"gosh, batman, we could have been killed!"

"or worse, robin."

tseliot
February 4th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Original or Directors cut ?

Forgot about that seeing i have it.
I've seen only "Blade Runner the Directors cut".

In the Directors cut there is the suspicion that the protagonist himself is a replicant.

It's definitely my favourite film.

xequence
February 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
King Kong was nice. So was The Island. The family guy movie was great, though I forget most of it since I saw it waaay back in the middle of the summer. Shawshank Redemption is a WONDERFUL SUPER GREAT movie. So is Pink Floyd presents The Wall.

I am gonna watch the Excorcism of Emily Rose soon...

tseliot
February 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM
The family guy movie was great, though I forget most of it since I saw it waaay back in the middle of the summer.
I saw it a few days ago (in English) and I really liked it. I recommend it to everybody.

bored2k
February 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Which one- the '66 one, or any of the newer ones?
Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward rules for sheer sillyness. Of the later ones, Batman Returns is the standout one. Meow.

Groet, Erik
The Tim Burton ones. The others are just... not Tim Burton.

Jedeye
February 4th, 2006, 11:32 PM
In order

Return of the Jedi
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
(almost every other movie)
The Phantom Menace

Malphas
February 5th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Most stuff directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, Sergio Leone and Orson Welles.

carl13
February 5th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I recently rented Devil's Rejects and really liked it. It is disturbing to the point that I am almost ashamed to admit that I like it, but I think the characters are great. Anyone else like it?

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 03:55 AM
I recently rented Devil's Rejects and really liked it. It is disturbing to the point that I am almost ashamed to admit that I like it, but I think the characters are great. Anyone else like it? I watched half of House of a Thousand Corpses before I got physically ill and stopped watching it. Rob Zombie makes me worried.

carl13
February 5th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I watched half of House of a Thousand Corpses before I got physically ill and stopped watching it. Rob Zombie makes me worried.

The two movies don't compare. Devil's Rejects is a much better production.

:twisted: Rob Zombie is twisted! : But he did produce a good movie in Devil's Rejects.

Master Shake
February 5th, 2006, 04:43 AM
My all time favs --

Close Encounters of the Third Kind -- Best Movie Ever Made!
Nightmare on Elm St. 1
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Day the Earth Stood Still
Manos: THe Hands of Fate
Mystery Science Theater 3000: THe Movie
Team America: WOrld Police
Airplane!
The Blues Brothers
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Strange Brew
Mystery Men
Ed Wood
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Glen or Glenda
The APostle
HItchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Both theatrical and BBC versions)
The Manchurian Candidate (Original)
Star Wars parts 3-4-5-6
Freddy vs. Jason
Child's Play
Scanners
Alien
Aliens
UHF
Joe Dirt

RaiSuli
February 5th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I recently rented Devil's Rejects and really liked it. It is disturbing to the point that I am almost ashamed to admit that I like it, but I think the characters are great. Anyone else like it?

I enjoyed it as well. It's surely not something that could be described as a movie for the whole family (unless yours is as dysfunctional as the one in Devil's Rejects), but it was really good. Much better than House of a 1000 Corpses.

And to put things into perspective, here's a list of movies I like:

- Dawn of the Dead (no better zombie movie was ever made)
- The Wind and the Lion (classic Sean Connery adventure film)
- Fight Club (Office Space with an attitude)
- The Aristocrats (basically a bunch of comedians all telling the same joke, but very funny)
- Donnie Darko (watch the theatrical release, if you can, the director's cut gives too much away)
- Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (the other two are good, but this is the best of the trilogy)
- Ring (the Japanese original, though the US remake was pretty good)
- Munich (much darker than expected from someone like Spielberg)
- Bad Day at Black Rock (from 1955 starring Spencer Tracy. Great film!)
- Life of Brian (one of the funniest comedies I've ever seen)

Better stop now. :)

Master Shake
February 5th, 2006, 04:47 AM
And of coursee I miss a few...

Every 007 movie ever made (except View to a Kill, and the two TImothy Dalton ones. Goldfinger is the besst of the lot)

Lovechild
February 5th, 2006, 04:52 AM
And of coursee I miss a few...

Every 007 movie ever made (except View to a Kill, and the two TImothy Dalton ones. Goldfinger is the besst of the lot)

Heretic, "License to kill" is by far the best and most credible Bond movie, the Broshan movies however are so out there and contain so bad and incoherent storylines they are completely unenjoyable.

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 05:33 AM
The two movies don't compare. Devil's Rejects is a much better production.

:twisted: Rob Zombie is twisted! : But he did produce a good movie in Devil's Rejects. Excellent! I'll take your word for it.

Hygelac
February 5th, 2006, 05:40 AM
"The Seventh Seal" is probably my favourite movie.

PryGuy
February 5th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Most stuff directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, Sergio Leone and Orson Welles.Yes! Glad someone else loves Tarkovsky!:D Greetings, Britain!:)

Leo_01
February 5th, 2006, 07:54 AM
1) The Matrix (Owns all techpunk movies)
2) Da Vinci Code (coming out in may!!! :mrgreen: )
3) all of X-men movies
4) King Kong (it is a pretty good movie too :D )
5) Saw I/II (sick movie but nice)

I seriously need to spend more time at the movies...\\:D/

gerbman
February 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Many that have already been mentioned. A few that haven't are Donnie Darko, Dogma (hilarious), and U-571.

Cheers!

PryGuy
February 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Many that have already been mentioned. A few that haven't are Donnie Darko, Dogma (hilarious), and U-571.

Cheers!U-571 is a nice movie.;) Such movies usually look like fairy tales with some Titanic elements. U-571 looks real and it keeps your attention up to the end.

And or course I have to mention K-19 talking about the submarine movies; I really loved Harrison Ford's play there, it's really powerful. But the other actors look weak, yet there are some episodes that look funny to Russians, first one is when the sailors dance some traditional-russian-dance I can't even remember the name of it.:D Second one is when the sailors show their asses to the American helicopter. We always laugh watching these episodes. But the fact that Hollywood decided to shot a movie about good Russians is great itself and the movie is very good anyway.

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Cheers! Dammit! How could I forget about Donnie Darko?

Lord Illidan
February 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM
1. The Lord of the Rings saga - imho the best movies ever.
2. Gladiator - only saw it on dvd but I love it.
3. King Kong - another great PJ movie.
4. The Matrix trilogy - I know that 2 and 3 were not that good but I enjoyed them.
5. Starwars 3,5,6 - loved those..
6. Batman Begins - cool one.
7. Spiderman 1 & 2.
8. Ice Age - can't wait for Ice Age 2.
9. Johnny English - I cracked up

There are probably dozens I left out..oh well.

at the bottom of my list...

Anything Harry Potter - rock bottom.. I'd rather watch crap than him.

bored2k
February 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
2) Da Vinci Code (coming out in may!!! :mrgreen: )
I seriously need to spend more time at the movies...\\:D/
But you haven't seen it. How can you like it?

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM
[snip]
4. The Matrix trilogy - I know that 2 and 3 were not that good but I enjoyed them.
[snip]
To say that 2 and 3 weren't that good is akin to saying that the Sun can be rather warm :).

Lord Illidan
February 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM
To say that 2 and 3 weren't that good is akin to saying that the Sun can be rather warm :).

Well, many people complained about the excessive action and no plot.. but I liked the movies all the same, lol..

saubz
February 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
1.) Pulp Fiction
2.) The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
3.) LOTR
4.) Godfather
5.) Hero

somuchfortheafter
February 5th, 2006, 09:37 PM
1. Donnie Darko
2. Gladiator
3. American Pyscho
4. Requiem for a Dream
5. Hero
6. Boondock Saints
7. Office Space
8. Munich
9. Matrix 1&3
10. Equilibrium

mips
February 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Something not that great but pretty nostalgic, The Fresman & Ferris Buelers Day Off, The Breakfast Club.

Lagiv
February 5th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Almost everything from Kurosawa, Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Leone, David Lynch, Aki Kaurismäki, David Lean, (Ed Wood) and many others.

somuchfortheafter
February 6th, 2006, 03:07 AM
aahhh i forgot fight club...

gerbman
February 6th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Forgot Rounders and Swingers...two great movies.

siberianhamster
February 6th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Ten of my favourites (in no particular order)

1. Dangerous Liasons
2. Last of the Mohicans
3. Baron Munchhausen
4. The Malteses Falcon
5. Kagemusha
6. Galaxy Quest
7. Pirates of the Carribean
8.The Third Man
9. The General
10. Ace in the hole

I lile a lot more but thats what I can think of now!

Recent films I disliked: The Matrix, Lord of the Rings...overblown, overhyped and over here...

PryGuy
February 6th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Almost everything from Kurosawa, Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Leone, David Lynch, Aki Kaurismäki, David Lean, (Ed Wood) and many others.Agree!:)

zox
February 6th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Well, there is many movies that I like but I would recommend one to everyone, if you want to learn the real meaning of word UBUNTU.

Check out this movie:
"Country of My Skull"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349260/

Ubuntu!

rado_london
February 11th, 2006, 01:46 AM
I love the Final Destination 1, 2 and 3, aslo Crash!

FrankTM
February 11th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I just saw Goodbye, Lenin! That movie was amazing.
I should see it then :p
still have it laying around here somewhere

-----------

Good ones also are:
- The Iterpreter
- Behind Enemy Lines

RaiSuli
February 11th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Well, there is many movies that I like but I would recommend one to everyone, if you want to learn the real meaning of word UBUNTU.

Check out this movie:
"Country of My Skull"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349260/

Ubuntu!

Sounds good. John Boorman has directed some great movies (ok, so some people don't like Zardoz, but it's one of my favourite Sean Connery films), so I'll check this one out. Thanks!

bionicyeti
February 11th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Rushmore
Bottle Rocket
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou