PDA

View Full Version : Arch Powered by Ubuntu: Ubuntu Kernel on Arch

juancarlospaco
August 31st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Arch Powered by Ubuntu: Ubuntu Kernel on Arch

When Arch Linux need Stability, uses and recommend Ubuntu LTS Kernel.

http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-general@archlinux.org/msg07103.html

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3715071/Ubuntu-Server--Kernel-Configuration-Considerations.htm

Uses Ubuntu Kernel on Arch to get Stability, the new Kernel are named "kernel26-lts"

Would be nice if they sync the releases* with Ubuntu releases too!

*releases, isos, snapshot, whatever
:P

eldragon
August 31st, 2009, 05:36 PM
hmm, no, its not ubuntu's kernel.

its kernel.org's 2.6.27 branch.

they might have picked ubuntu patches on the way, but there is nothing that indicates its an ubuntu kernel (if there is such a thing).

when the arch servers are back, i'll check the PKGBUILD and report back.

juancarlospaco
August 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Kernel from Kernel.org 2.6.27.x + All Ubuntu Patch and Optimizations.

Swarms
August 31st, 2009, 05:45 PM
Could be nice if they synchronised with the Ubuntu release schedule.

juancarlospaco
August 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM

+1

They have an "Arch Brainstorm" or something...?,
to post the idea and vote.

eldragon
August 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Kernel from Kernel.org 2.6.27.x + All Ubuntu Patch and Optimizations.

where did you get this from? ive been following the arch dev mailing list and there is no mention on using ubuntu's patches.

lykwydchykyn
August 31st, 2009, 05:53 PM

Synchronized what, exactly? It's a rolling release distro.

Nepherte
August 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Arch Powered by Ubuntu: Ubuntu Kernel on Arch

When Arch Linux need Stability, uses and recommend Ubuntu LTS Kernel.

http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-general@archlinux.org/msg07103.html

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3715071/Ubuntu-Server--Kernel-Configuration-Considerations.htm

Uses Ubuntu Kernel on Arch to get Stability, the new Kernel are named "kernel26-lts"

Would be nice if they sync the releases* with Ubuntu releases too!

*releases, isos, snapshot, whatever
:P
And how exactly would you try to synchronize arch with ubuntu releases when arch doesn't have releases? And it's not really based on the "ubuntu kernel". It just uses the latest official kernel-lts branch, with some patches here and there (like the ones from red hat to support ext4 partitions). Your second link is just used as a reference for what settings could be used for a server kernel.

juancarlospaco
August 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
The same...,
i got the same Ubuntu and upgrading and upgrading,
Arch releases a "Snapshot" time to time,
syncronize the .ISO release time.

So this is a "release" of their Distro too.

Skripka
August 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM
There is so much odd unsupported bizzarro claims in this thread that I've gotten a headache.

snowpine
August 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM
There is some serious confusion in this thread. :) Arch uses the latest stable kernel (2.6.30 currently). All they've done here is make an older kernel available for those who need it (for whatever reason). "When Arch Linux need Stability" implies that Arch uses an unstable, testing kernel, which it does not.

Skripka
August 31st, 2009, 06:09 PM
There is some serious confusion in this thread. :) Arch uses the latest stable kernel (2.6.30 currently). All they've done here is make an older kernel available for those who need it (for whatever reason). "When Arch Linux need Stability" implies that Arch uses an unstable, testing kernel, which it does not.

I think the main reason is the ATi drivers, in that often folks revert to trying to use older Xorg versions (which depend on much older kernels) to get the ATi drivers to work with their card.

eldragon
August 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
The same...,
i got the same Ubuntu and upgrading and upgrading,
Arch releases a "Snapshot" time to time,
syncronize the .ISO release time.

So this is a "release" of their Distro too.

actually, sincronizing the arch snapshot would mean squat, since the first thing you do once you install is upgrade to the latest version. heck, everyone using arch knows he/she ought to use the net installer which makes your point moot.

it does not matter which snapshot you use for arch, in the end you get the latest version of packages. this is not the same with a feature frozen distro, like ubuntu. so there.

in response to another poster. yes, there are too much unfounded assertions in this thread.

LowSky
August 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM
My head hurts. Now it did hurt before I started reading this thread, but now its throbbing, and I blame that squarly on some of the statements in this thread. Time for some Advil

Thanks.