PDA

View Full Version : The spread of Linux

Revolutionary101
August 31st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I just wanted to share something I saw when I was watching a video on Hulu.com. In the preview before the video started they were talking about what Hulu is. I was bored by this but then I noticed that they showed in the video that Hulu supports Windows, Mac and Linux I became excited. I suppose many people go and watch Hulu videos and for those who are do not know what Linux is this little preview may generate a little curiosity. They may say "What is Linux?" they will likely search Google and find out what Linux is. I am happy that more and more corporations are recognizing Linux as a viable OS and not just something that hobbyists tinker with. I also posted a picture of this video.

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
I just wanted to share something I saw when I was watching a video on Hulu.com. In the preview before the video started they were talking about what Hulu is. I was bored by this but then I noticed that they showed in the video that Hulu supports Windows, Mac and Linux I became excited. I suppose many people go and watch Hulu videos and for those who are do not know what Linux is this little preview may generate a little curiosity. They may say "What is Linux?" they will likely search Google and find out what Linux is. I am happy that more and more corporations are recognizing Linux as a viable OS and not just something that hobbyists tinker with. I also posted a picture of this video.

did hulu make it compatible though, or did the Linux developers make Linux compatible with hulu? :P

it's good to mention Linux, after all it's definitely not hurting us, but sometimes they use that mention as if they did something

for example sandisk says that their mp3 players are Linux compatible, meaning that Linux is able to recognize them, not that they made any application to make that happen (their applications are windows-only)

Giant Speck
August 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Wait... what is an ad for Hulu doing on Veoh?

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Wait... what is an ad for Hulu doing on Veoh?

any video can be on veoh... (?!)

Johnsie
August 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Is Hulu still region locked?

sydbat
August 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Is Hulu still region locked?Yes.

Johnsie
August 31st, 2009, 04:00 PM
dang

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 04:03 PM
Is Hulu still region locked?

isn't that easily avoided by changing ip or something like that?

lykwydchykyn
August 31st, 2009, 04:03 PM
did hulu make it compatible though, or did the Linux developers make Linux compatible with hulu? :P

it's good to mention Linux, after all it's definitely not hurting us, but sometimes they use that mention as if they did something

Seeing as Hulu runs on flash, Adobe made Hulu compatible with Linux. Though you can credit Hulu for choosing technologies that work well with Linux instead of the alternatives (like Silverlight).

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Seeing as Hulu runs on flash, Adobe made Hulu compatible with Linux. Though you can credit Hulu for choosing technologies that work well with Linux instead of the alternatives (like Silverlight).

i think that flash is just the most widely used one.

i would give them congrats if they used open standards

lykwydchykyn
August 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM
i think that flash is just the most widely used one.

i would give them congrats if they used open standards

I would too, seeing as there is currently no well-supported open standard that would do what they need. It would be quite a feat to pull that off.

I don't think the point here is about congratulating Hulu for supporting Linux, but rather being glad that a site like Hulu would deem Linux support a worthwhile bullet point for an advertisement. Sometimes the choices advertisers make reveals a lot about the state of things.

LowSky
August 31st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hulu's website works on a linux OS, but Hulu new project, Hulu Desktop, does not. So much for keeping up appearances...

Personally I love Hulu as many of the shows availible are not watchablke on the shows actual network website. For instance, Fox, ABC and NBC, all use restricted players that block Linux users.

Revolutionary101
August 31st, 2009, 04:21 PM
I don't think the point here is about congratulating Hulu for supporting Linux, but rather being glad that a site like Hulu would deem Linux support a worthwhile bullet point for an advertisement. Sometimes the choices advertisers make reveals a lot about the state of things.

Exactly the point that they see that advertising that their product can work with Linux is viable can show a lot about how Linux is becoming more popular.

Bucky Ball
August 31st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yea, we are with a cable company that sponsers the AFL site (Australian Football League) so free upload/download on the site. Problem is it is stodgy with Linux and hit and miss and the streaming video replays (a major part of the site) require Microsoft IE version something and don't even work with Firefox on Windows!

Shame they're the only available cable company ... ;-(

raronson
August 31st, 2009, 04:54 PM
A bit of a double-edged sword.

It's good to see Linux in the billing whenever Windows and OS X are mentioned, because it immediately recognizes the legitimacy and maturity of the OS, and this does a lot for mindshare in the public perception. Most people that don't already know what Linux is will probably not bother to look it up, and that's okay. I'd be happy if the average user just came away with the notion that Linux is a viable alternative OS that may be a little arcane to all but the initiated.

Building mindshare has to start somewhere, and arraying Tux next to two immediately recognizable icons may be the best that we can hope for at this point. We all know that Linux can be just as user-friendly, easy to setup, and work just as good--<sarcasm>sorry, better</sarcasm>, etc. etc. etc. It's the average Windows user that does not. So seeing Linux in the line up of usual suspects is good for this reason.

The negative side is, if everyone built upon open standards, there would be no such need to say what so-and-so works with or for. Though it's possible that seeing the big three over and over could work out enough mindshare to someday equate to real world marketshare, which will hopefully bring the issue of adhering to and improving upon open standards to public light, and finally give it the attention it deserves. Afterall, Linux is just one part of a larger ecosystem, though obviously it's the engine.

Flash needs to either open up or disappear, by the way. Flash, Photoshop, and CAD are all that remain in holding Linux back.