PDA

View Full Version : Window key

afeasfaerw23231233
August 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM
I remember that in the Pentium 1 era there were still some keyboards without the "window key". But nowadays almost all keyboards from the retailers have that "window key". Is it possible to get a cheap keyboard (<$20) without this useless key (except buying a Mac)?

Baneblade
August 31st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I remember that in the Pentium 1 era there were still some keyboards without the "window key". But nowadays almost all keyboards from the retailers have that "window key". Is it possible to get a cheap keyboard (<$20) without this useless key (except buying a Mac)?

Not that i can think of, but i just wanted to point out that its hardly useless. Its plays the critical role of "super" on GNU/Linux systems.
Plus while its true that buying a Mac means you don't get the "windows key" you instead get the "command" key, which is really just a "windows key".
So there really is no getting away from it i'm afraid.

sydbat
August 31st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Scratch off the "Windows logo"??

red_Marvin
August 31st, 2009, 01:53 PM
It is not useless imo, in linux by default it works as another modifier key (like shift, alt, ctrl, alt gr), it's called mod4 I think, and you can bind useful actions to it. - Eg: In my setup mod4+[a number] switches workspace, and mod4+shift+w starts firefox...

Tibuda
August 31st, 2009, 01:56 PM
It is not useless imo, in linux by default it works as another modifier key (like shift, alt, ctrl, alt gr), it's called mod4 I think, and you can bind useful actions to it. - Eg: In my setup mod4+[a number] switches workspace, and mod4+shift+w starts firefox...

I think it is called "Super".

speedwell68
August 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM
On my system it is super+space to load the Gnome-Do launcher. My Acer Aspire One has a home symbol on it instead of a windows logo, as did the Acer keyboard supplied with my desktop machine. As the Acer keyboard that came with my desktop was woefully pants, I swapped it for a Microsoft Keyboard and that has the Windows logo with the word start printed underneath.

afeasfaerw23231233
August 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah I know it is not useless. I use Super+/ to switch on SCIM.
I find an interesting note from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_key#Criticisms_and_solutions

Users of non-Windows systems are sometimes disturbed by having a Windows-specific logo on their keyboard. For this reason, sets of stickers and key-caps are available, mainly from online stores, which can be used to restyle the Windows keys with an image of Linux mascot Tux, a logo for KDE or a specific Linux distribution, or other graphics.

Tristam Green
August 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Draw a penguin on it and be done with the anxiety of having a Microsoft logo on one of your components.

spcwingo
August 31st, 2009, 03:07 PM
They're not <$20, but ZaReason has Ubuntu and Tux keyboards here:

http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php?cat=251

cascade9
August 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM

There was those keyboards that let you make your own layout, I've forgotten the name though. They would be a bit more pricey than $20.

At that price range, theres always old keyboards, but you might need an AT to PS2 adapter. If you have a choice, find an IBM model M. *clickety clack!* :D

BslBryan
August 31st, 2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9

matthewbpt
August 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM
I recently got my eee-pc fixed thru warranty, the keyboard was faulty so they replaced it. I was quite disappointed though when the replacement used a windows logo in the 'windows key' instead of the 'home' symbol on they keyboard originally supplied with the Eee =( At least I have a 'Powered by Ubuntu Linux' sticker on it instead of an annoying Windows sticker that most laptops have.

blueturtl
August 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM

Find one used, like I did! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253607)

Pentium era keyboards do typically have the Windows keys because Windows 95 came out around that time, but there are still plenty of 386/486 keyboards around which can be used with an adapter (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15CM-PS2-TO-AT-5-PIN-DIN-KEYBOARD-ADAPTOR-CABLE-LEAD_W0QQitemZ400055511610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item5d252aaa3a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14).

The hard part will be finding one that's in decent shape. A lot of old keyboards are still around, but many are quite battered and dirty.

edit:

A quick search for 'AT keyboard' on eBay turns out plenty of hits.