PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install directly without cleaning my disk

thoorman
August 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Can I install ubuntu and then uninstall windows afterwards?

which version of ubuntu would be best to use?

stlsaint
August 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM
yes sir you can. are you wanting to dual boot or do you just want to install ubuntu then erase windows? and unless you are already familar with ubuntu and can run daily operations easily already i would not recommend getting rid of windows just yet. If you are fully ubuntu capable than by all means move forward with plan. You can install ubuntu and during installation setup ubuntu will ask if you would like to import any profiles...from there you can import any thing from windows profiles you had. or you can install then mount windows and transfer files from there! (just giving you options here) please give a few more details on your plan so we can help make educated decisions.

thoorman
August 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
I don't have any other solution at the moment than to do it over wireless. would that be a problem?
Can I download and install directly from the ubuntu page without burning it on a cd-rom before?

thoorman
August 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I guess I just want to install ubuntu and then get rid of windows afterwards, since it seems I might have a counterfeited version, I keep getting this messages from windows: you may be a victim of software counterfeiting. bought the laptop second hand. I don't want to get into any trouble, so I would prefer to have everything legal...

thoorman
August 31st, 2009, 02:50 PM
I don't have any other solution at the moment than to do it over wireless. would that be a problem?
Can I download and install directly from the ubuntu page without burning it on a cd-rom before?
I guess I just want to install ubuntu and then get rid of windows afterwards, since it seems I might have a counterfeited version, I keep getting this messages from windows: you may be a victim of software counterfeiting. bought the laptop second hand. I don't want to get into any trouble, so I would prefer to have everything legal...
which version of ubuntu would be best to use?

Topsiho
August 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
I guess you can do what is called a net install. See

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2068.html

I do not know about wireless though, and think it more safe to do a download first of the .iso file, and then burn it at a slow speed (4x or so) on a CD-rom.

With a net install you still have to download a lot of stuff, but not the stuff that is not necessary for your specific setup.

As far as I know Ubuntu is not checking how genuine your MS-Windows version is, so you might try and leave Windows as it is, make room for Ubuntu and install Ubuntu into that room, alongside Windows. Ubuntu will detect Windows and set up Grub (the boot manager) so that on booting the computer you can choose between Ubuntu and Windows (called dual boot). Only when you feel that Ubuntu is all that you want and need, you may dump Windows into the trash bin where it belongs :)

Topsiho

stlsaint
August 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM
if you're sure you want to network install here are a few options to choose from...see link below!

Ubuntu Installations (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Server%20and%20network%20installation s)