PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] font installation

saneej
August 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM
How to install fonts???????? (.ttf)

sloggerkhan
August 31st, 2009, 08:45 AM
if it does not exist, make a folder called .fonts in your home directory. Put fonts there.

As an alternative, you can install fonts for all users with sudo permissions by putting them in /usr/share/fonts.

Likewise, you may want to look at a font manager if you have lots of fonts. such as fontmatrix of fonty python.

oboedad55
August 31st, 2009, 08:49 AM
if it does not exist, make a folder called .fonts in your home directory. Put fonts there.

As an alternative, you can install fonts for all users with sudo permissions by putting them in /usr/share/fonts.

Likewise, you may want to look at a font manager if you have lots of fonts. such as fontmatrix of fonty python.

If you're looking for basic .ttf fonts, go to a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

This will give you courier new, etc. that you usually need for OpenOffice.

saneej
August 31st, 2009, 08:55 AM
I'm not able to paste inside truetype folder. y?

sloggerkhan
August 31st, 2009, 08:59 AM
like I said, if you put them in /usr/share/fonts, you need admin (sudo) permissions.

Likewise, things with a . infront of them are hidden. You can show them with ctrl-h.

sahabcse
August 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Login to the root account and try

or run in terminal

#sudo nautilus

ibutho
August 31st, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm not able to paste inside truetype folder. y?

Because you need root (admin) permissions. Do Alt-F2 and enter "gksu nautilus" and that will run a file manager with admin privileges and you can then copy and paste stuff with root privileges.

saneej
August 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM
Done. Thanx a lot. But still I'm having problem loading particular site containing the font I've installed. Is it necessry 2 restart,log off session n cm back.

ibutho
August 31st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Done. Thanx a lot. But still I'm having problem loading particular site containing the font I've installed. Is it necessry 2 restart,log off session n cm back.
Try logging out and back in again and see if the new font is recognised.