PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where are the downloaded install packages

balajist
August 31st, 2009, 03:20 AM
Hi,
Today morning i've downloaded a huge list of applications on ubuntu 9 using Add/Remove packages and am wondering where the .DEB files or the other support files are residing in my hard disk. so that i don't need to download each time when i install ubuntu 9.
If the .deb files are not in hard disk can we use the installed files (i don't know either where these files are stored) can be back up for installing later. ?

Please help me with this, this will save me enormous amount of time when there is a need to reinstall ubuntu and also when im off line.
Thanks.

oldos2er
August 31st, 2009, 03:37 AM
/var/cache/apt/archives

balajist
August 31st, 2009, 03:46 AM
So i need to take a backup of those files and whenever i reinstall ubuntu(9) i need put the files back into the same place or just i can install it right away ? Sorry am a noob.

oldos2er
August 31st, 2009, 03:56 AM
So i need to take a backup of those files and whenever i reinstall ubuntu(9) i need put the files back into the same place or just i can install it right away ? Sorry am a noob.

You can copy the *deb files back to /var/cache/apt/archives and run sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*deb, or run sudo dpkg -i *deb from within your backup directory (wherever that may be). It's up to you which way you prefer.

colau
August 31st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Is there any command with apt-get or aptitude to delete those .deb packages from there?

shredder12
August 31st, 2009, 07:54 AM
Yes,

sudo apt-get clean
will clear the local repository i.e. /var/cache/apt/archives/.

colau
August 31st, 2009, 08:38 AM
Yes,

sudo apt-get clean
will clear the local repository i.e. /var/cache/apt/archives/.
Is it similar to:

sudo aptitude clean

shredder12
August 31st, 2009, 08:42 AM
yes it is..
you can always check the man page for this.

Katalog
August 31st, 2009, 08:51 AM
There is also an option in the Synaptic preferences under the Files tab to have it automatically delete downloaded packages after the installation is complete (also applies to Update Manager, I believe).

colau
August 31st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thank you.