PDA

View Full Version : How does Ubuntu rate with other distributions?

fleaaccela
August 31st, 2009, 03:13 AM
I'm sure this is an age old question, and it's certainly a bit blunt. Let me be more specific.

How does Ubuntu rate with other distributions as far as people using their machines for things that are non-server/admin oriented? You know, like mostly home based media based stuff like most Windows users.

I don't have any problems with Ubuntu and really enjoy my Gnome enviroment and am beyond satisfied with the programs available in the repositories. Before Ubuntu though, Windows was the only OS I was aware of. While Ubuntu does everything I did in Windows a billion times better, I'm wondering what else I could be missing.

I can only assume all distributions have their own repositories with their own unique programs, or am I incorrect? If so, are there any that are very media friendly?

Bachstelze
August 31st, 2009, 03:17 AM
I can only assume all distributions have their own repositories with their own unique programs, or am I incorrect?

Yes and no. It is true that every distro has its own repositories, but the programs you will find in them are mostly the same. The only unique programs you will find are package managers and other administrative tools, not media-related stuff.

mrgnash
August 31st, 2009, 03:40 AM
I don't really believe this, but I just want to get it out of the way before someone else, inevitably, says it: ARCH IS TEH BEST!!!

Seriously though, some distros do have unique programs (which you can usually build on other distros, but aren't included by default). Just off the top of my head, I know that Uzbl is in the Arch repos, as is KDEMod, and a few other things.

Bachstelze
August 31st, 2009, 03:42 AM
I don't really believe this, but I just want to get it out of the way before someone else, inevitably, says it: ARCH IS TEH BEST!!!

*smacks forehead*

I totally forgot "inb4arch". :o

cariboo
August 31st, 2009, 05:27 AM
+1 :)

SunnyRabbiera
August 31st, 2009, 05:32 AM
No apps between distros are relatively the same, the only major ones that migvht stand out are things like Yast, Mandriva control center and stuff like that.

wojox
August 31st, 2009, 05:35 AM
And support. Ubuntu has great support compared to other distro's both here and IRC.

ibuclaw
August 31st, 2009, 05:41 AM
And support. Ubuntu has great support compared to other distro's both here and IRC.

Arch has great documentation though ... ;)

edit: oh wait ... down for maintenance http://wiki.archlinux.org/

hmm...

JK3mp
August 31st, 2009, 05:56 AM

hmm...

LoL, and damn beat me to the "ARCH IS TEH BEST!" line. And as stated b4 and b4 again (totally pointless to say now) all distros' use same general programs except usually package managers and some administrative tools. Some may come with diffrent default programs packaged but other than that there pretty much exactly the same. I usually rate my distro's based on how the "distro based" stuff usuallypackage manager and admin tools etc. B/c of the fact that everything else can be the same with a little rming and installing :p

kevdog
August 31st, 2009, 05:58 AM
Ok, ubuntu rates #1 on distrowatch.com, if that means anything to you.

wojox
August 31st, 2009, 06:01 AM

hmm...

I noticed that to, but the mirrors are still synced.