PDA

View Full Version : Soooo...what to contribute if you're a newbie?

belgianmadcow
August 31st, 2009, 12:59 AM
Well,

Whenever I google a worthwile linux/ubuntu question, I end up here pretty soon. So I figured I'd join, and I hope to contribute something - I find the open source spirit very inspiring.
Since I'm a newbie on the linux front, all I can offer is general engineering advice - or materials advice to be specific. I also have some photoshop skills I'm trying to convert to the GIMP ;-). Anyone that wants to appeal to any of those can post here or drop me a note.

Maybe I'll introduce myself while I'm at it:
- I'm Bart from Belgium, I live near Bruges.
- Married, father of 2, 36 (damn!)
- Avid gamer (wish I could boot M$ for games as well, with iD stopping linux support though... :-()
- M$-hater for monopoly & privacy reasons (on edit: but NOT the people who work there, if that makes any sense)
- Ubuntu dual boot with XP, 9.04 since about a month. Sold after the 1h faultless install & been spreading the word ever since...

Shoot! but not the messenger
regards
bmc

chriskin
August 31st, 2009, 01:20 AM
Well,

Whenever I google a worthwile linux/ubuntu question, I end up here pretty soon. So I figured I'd join, and I hope to contribute something - I find the open source spirit very inspiring.
Since I'm a newbie on the linux front, all I can offer is general engineering advice - or materials advice to be specific. I also have some photoshop skills I'm trying to convert to the GIMP ;-). Anyone that wants to appeal to any of those can post here or drop me a note.

- Avid gamer (wish I could boot M$ for games as well, with iD stopping linux support though... :-()
- M$-hater for monopoly & privacy reasons
- Ubuntu dual boot with XP, 9.04 since about a month. Sold after the 1h faultless install & been spreading the word ever since...

regards
bmc

welcome. the best way for all noobs (myself included) is first to learn and then to give that knowledge back to those more noobish than you.

also, since you work well with photo editing as i understood, there is a thread where help is needed about a new logo, probably you should check that out
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1250122

sailthesea
August 31st, 2009, 01:31 AM
welcome. the best way for all noobs (myself included) is first to learn and then to give that knowledge back to those more noobish than you.

also, since you work well with photo editing as i understood, there is a thread where help is needed about a new logo, probably you should check that out
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1250122

+1

Welcome:)

belgianmadcow
August 31st, 2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the welcome Chriskin & Sailthesea :-) I'll pass on what I learn - with only minimal preaching.

Checked out that thread, as far as I see, they have picked a pretty awesome logo, among heavy competition. Stylized icebergs...

http://imgur.com/4Fh4V.png (http://imgur.com/4Fh4V.png)

Gen2ly
August 31st, 2009, 02:06 AM
Pretty cool. Personally I like to do documentation. If you learn something and get to know it well, think about contributing to the Ubuntu wiki.

sailthesea
August 31st, 2009, 02:08 AM
I dunno On the forums for an hour and being asked to look at development graphics?
Is that contributing? :popcorn:

RabbitWho
August 31st, 2009, 02:12 AM
Every time someone helps me here I try to help someone on yahoo answers, because I'm pretty much on the bottom knowledge wise on this forum, but there I can actually help people.

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 02:12 AM
Absolute Beginners is good place to solve problems and learn at the same time. Also if you find a problem and find a solution post it as other are bound to have it too.

#11u-max
August 31st, 2009, 02:18 AM
if you want to learn, tomorrow starts the ubuntu developer week!

belgianmadcow
August 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM
yes it would be Sailthesea :-) pass the :popcorn:

@gen2ly: I do like writing. Now just learning something worthwile...oh maybe I can do some translation stuff otherwise. One of the few advantages of Belgians - we have been ruled by so many that we speak all of their languages ;-)

@RabbitWho - that's exactly what I mean. I don't think many here will be interested in my 10 line modification-date change script - which is why I mentioned the other stuff.

@hanzomon4 - k I'll start with hanging around there (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326). Was my first click here anyway - sent me straight into the Ubuntu Pocket Guide :-)

sertse
August 31st, 2009, 03:13 AM
There is always taking a favourite project and helping with translation.

RabbitWho
August 31st, 2009, 04:17 AM
This is the type of question I'm qualified to help people with:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090830201257AAQr2l7

Elep.Repu
August 31st, 2009, 05:59 AM
I've been using linux for 2 years and I'm still learning.
I'm still a "n00b"

Although in comparison to a lot of people I may not be,
but there still is the process of learning.
And in that process, hopefully you will share your knowledge with others.

That, is how you contribute.

gadolinio
September 16th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I'm still a "n00b"

Wise words. I've been using Ubuntu for 8 months, and have learned a lot in forums like this one and in the documentation pages. Now I answer questions here and in launchpad (started there, 3 months ago). There's always someone who knows as little as I did myself, at the very beginning of this year.
What I'm also interested in doing is contributing with some wiki... can someone tell me how to do that, and what help is needed? i know about basic stuff like partitioning, package installation, root and other user's permissions with chmod, etc.
I speak spanish as my mother tongue; could do some translation, maybe.

PS: Nice thread, btw...

juancarlospaco
September 16th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Lets start designing some Karmic Banners!,
only 1 design ATM, and deadline is Sept 22nd
:(

lisati
September 16th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I'm still a "n00b"
Ditto!

I find that there's a certain satisfaction in just reading what's happening. Sometimes there's a question where I know an answer, other times there's a question where I don't know the exact answer, but something comes to mind that can act as a springboard for discussion. However, a lot of the time I don't have any kind of answer at all, where I have an opportunity to learn something new - on more than one occasion I've read something and given it a try.

Don't be discouraged from answering a question or providing a comment just because you're a noob or because you don't have an exact answer - you're probably closer to providing useful information than you think.

Nevon
September 16th, 2009, 06:30 AM
There are _always_ projects on Launchpad (www.launchpad.net) that need help with translations. One of my projects actually need help with the French translation (http://www.blastfromthepast.se/caffeine/index.php?title=Translations), if you're interested. :D

gadolinio
September 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM
There are _always_ projects on Launchpad (http://www.launchpad.net) that need help with translations. One of my projects actually need help with the French translation (http://www.blastfromthepast.se/caffeine/index.php?title=Translations), if you're interested. :D

Mmm I'm afraid French is not in my spoken-languages list :P Spanish and English only.

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 12:18 AM
You know what nearly all Free software devs would like you to contribute? $$MONEY$$

j.bell730
September 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
- M$-hater for monopoly & privacy reasons (on edit: but NOT the people who work there, if that makes any sense)

I'm running Rome: Total War on Ubuntu as we speak. Ironically, it has better performance here on Ubuntu than it does on Windows.
Consider: PlayOnLinux (http://www.playonlinux.com/).

Udayakiran
September 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Well,

regards
bmc

Why does every linux user declare himself/herself to be a Microsoft hater? I use Vista on my gaming system and Ubuntu on my desktop and File server. I love them both. XP was bad, but Vista was an improvement and Windows 7 looks promising. Just my opinion.

scratman
September 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Welcome BMC.

If you want to contribute, there are literally hundreds of ways. As has been mentioned previously, your graphical talents could be employed by several projects, designing logos, GUI buttons etc...

In addition, I suspect that being from Belgium you may be fluent in more than one language. Every open source software can benefit from translators, so that may become an area where your personal experience can be invaluable.

As I said, there are many more ways to contribute, depending on your skill base. As a rule, if you feel like you can help, then get stuck in and do it.

scratman
September 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Why does every linux user declare himself/herself to be a Microsoft hater? I use Vista on my gaming system and Ubuntu on my desktop and File server. I love them both. XP was bad, but Vista was an improvement and Windows 7 looks promising. Just my opinion.

I think it's a little unfair to describe EVERY Linux user a Microsoft hater. If MS works for you, keep using it. Plenty of people install Linux, decide it's not for them and return to Windows. That said, a great many people install Linux because they are weary of Windows. Personally I don't HATE Windows, but I will not be installing any variety of Windows on my machine any time soon, Linux does everything I need.

For my gaming needs, the XBox 360 does the job. See, even I can concede that Microsoft has its' good points.

Udayakiran
September 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I think it's a little unfair to describe EVERY Linux user a Microsoft hater. If MS works for you, keep using it. Plenty of people install Linux, decide it's not for them and return to Windows. That said, a great many people install Linux because they are weary of Windows. Personally I don't HATE Windows, but I will not be installing any variety of Windows on my machine any time soon, Linux does everything I need.

For my gaming needs, the XBox 360 does the job. See, even I can concede that Microsoft has its' good points.

I didnt mean 'every' literally. I used the word because it sounded dramatic. :biggrin: I actually meant 'a lot of'. A lot new linux users go around forums stating they 'love linux' and 'hate M$'.

I came to linux because i like experimenting. I used a lot of distros (except Fedora and Arch) and found that i'm most comfortable with (k)ubuntu. I loved the Open Source spirit and stayed. But i'm a big fan of PC games and a .NET developer, so i use windows too. I feel there are a few things that Windows is better at, and a few things that linux is better. So, it is kinda sad when people slander Windows just because they have to pay for it.

alienclone
September 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Ditto!

I find that there's a certain satisfaction in just reading what's happening. Sometimes there's a question where I know an answer, other times there's a question where I don't know the exact answer, but something comes to mind that can act as a springboard for discussion. However, a lot of the time I don't have any kind of answer at all, where I have an opportunity to learn something new - on more than one occasion I've read something and given it a try.

Don't be discouraged from answering a question or providing a comment just because you're a noob or because you don't have an exact answer - you're probably closer to providing useful information than you think.

+1
very good advice

alienclone
September 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM

ya got that all jumbled around sweetie, XP is AWESOME, Vista is bloat, and i switched to Ubuntu before 7 came out (and havnt looked back since) so i dont know how it is.

23meg
September 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu may give you some ideas.

You know what nearly all Free software devs would like you to contribute? $$MONEY$$

While there's some truth in that, there's also the flipside:

Pay bounties in time, not money (http://www2.bryceharrington.org:8080/drupal/node/52)

alienclone
September 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I didnt mean 'every' literally. I used the word because it sounded dramatic. :biggrin: I actually meant 'a lot of'. A lot new linux users go around forums stating they 'love linux' and 'hate M$'.

I came to linux because i like experimenting. I used a lot of distros (except Fedora and Arch) and found that i'm most comfortable with (k)ubuntu. I loved the Open Source spirit and stayed. But i'm a big fan of PC games and a .NET developer, so i use windows too. I feel there are a few things that Windows is better at, and a few things that linux is better. So, it is kinda sad when people slander Windows just because they have to pay for it.

i think you are comfuzing a Microsoft hater with a Windows hater, there IS a difference.

Udayakiran
September 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
ya got that all jumbled around sweetie, XP is AWESOME, Vista is bloat, and i switched to Ubuntu before 7 came out (and havnt looked back since) so i dont know how it is.

Why dont you just give Windows 7 a try? It has done away with a lot of bloat that Vista had. Maybe you will change your opinion.

Udayakiran
September 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
i think you are comfuzing a Microsoft hater with a Windows hater, there IS a difference.
My Bad. I guess it should have read "'love linux' and 'hate windoze'".