PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Jaunty and Compiz

dougalkerr
August 31st, 2009, 12:09 AM
It's that old resizing bug which I have posted a request to be fixed over on the Compiz forum. Just thjought you guys n' gals would like to read my little investigation into what I found.
I have done some experimenting to narrow down the possibilities of the problem to - one.
As far as I can tell the problem is with Compiz and Ubuntu version 9.04 as follows;
I installed Ubuntu 8.10 onto a blank laptop (Dell Studio 1537 with an ATI HD 3450 graphics card with 256 Mb video ram, the laptop has a 2.53 GHz dual core chip and 4Gb RAM, so plenty of power).
The Ubuntu 8.10 install went without a hitch. I installed EnvyNG-QT to take care of installing the ATI driver suggested. All went well. I invoked the 'Extra' Visual Effects and tested X using the Sky Rocket screensaver which ran smoothly. I installed Compiz and set the Settings Manager to my preferred options. I tested the opening, minimizing, resizing and maximizing of several differnt program windows without any faults showing. The environment ran very smoothly. I installed my prefered window dressing package - Ubuntu SE. Again everything ran without fault.
I cleared the laptop and installed Ubuntu 9.04 and installed the graphics card driver as before and set the 'Extra' Visual Settings. Compiz is installed by default and I did notice straightaway that there was a lag on resizing any window.
NOTE: it would appear the bigger the window the longer the lag!!!
I uninstalled all Compiz parts and rebooted. I then ran several programs performing window resizing as before. All ran very smoothly and fast. I reinstalled Compiz and the Settings Manager and Hey Presto the resizing lag is back. So that leaves me with two choices; run Ubuntu with or without Compiz. At the moment I am running WITH because I find working with the effects very pleasing. It makes me feel like I am actually using a futuristic computing environment. The resizing bug is like having - well... a bug!! Hope you enjoyed reading my report.