PDA

View Full Version : Is there a general forum for introducing yourself?

paul_c_snider
August 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Sorry if this is off topic, but where do i introduce myself? I left Ubuntu for PCLINUXOS for a month but decided I didn't like it and now I am an Ubuntu user for life and wanted to re-introduce myself.:guitar:

chriskin
August 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry if this is off topic, but where do i introduce myself? I left Ubuntu for PCLINUXOS for a month but decided I didn't like it and now I am an Ubuntu user for life and wanted to re-introduce myself.:guitar:

community cafe would be a good idea.

overdrank
August 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Moved to The Community Cafe

bodyharvester
August 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
hi ):P

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 10:57 PM
can't there be like a sticky in the recurring forums or sumthing

suitedaces
August 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Welcome!

chriskin
August 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
can't there be like a sticky in the recurring forums or sumthing

noone would read it

t0p
August 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
noone would read it

When I first began frequenting web forums I would introduce myself in those "Introduce yourself" threads. I would get a reply saying "Welcome" from an admin and maybe 1 or 2 other regulars, but I quickly came to the conclusion that actually most users didn't read these threads and posting there was a waste of time.

Much better to introduce oneself through the usual business of the forum - in Ubuntu Forums' case, by posting a question, answering a question, or doing whatever it is we do in the Cafe. No one's going to think any the worse of you for not "introducing" yourself in a formal introductions thread.

As for "sticky"ing such a thread: omg no! There are far too many stickies anyway. Stickies should be reserved for important stuff.

paul_c_snider
August 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks. So a little about me I started using Linux exclusively with no Windows dual-booting in August 2007 starting with Feisty Fawn. I have been a distribution hopper since then. I have tried PCLINUXOS didn't like it, found it didn't have as much features, installing some packages were harder, and slowed my computer down. I was hoping to try Gentoo, and Arch. I downloaded both but was unable to install either, so for now I'm sticking with my beloved Ubuntu.

I am also an aspiring writer, I only use OpenOffice.org for my writing. I hope to eventually write: Children Stories, Young Adult Stories, Humor Books, Screenplays and Comic Books. We'll see how it goes in the future.:guitar:

bodyharvester
August 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
hi, again.

if writing is what you want to do there is an application somewhere i saw which is a huge help for extensive plotting e.g. for novels and such there is a side pane with sub-panels with titles for characters and places.

cant for the life of me remember what it was called though :-k

K.Mandla
August 31st, 2009, 03:54 PM
This one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280124) managed to stay alive until around October. There are more lurking in the dark corners of the forums.