PDA

View Full Version : Any Cell Phone experts?

cptrohn
August 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I was looking for a G1 and came across this knock-off on ebay.... it uses android but doesn't have the keyboard..(not a big deal to me, as I am not a big text messaging person) But I noticed that it isn't 3G....... So what would that mean performance wise? Just not as fast on the internet correct?

Also no WiFi (also not that big a deal to me) Or Gps.. (also not a big deal)

I've never bought a knock-off before... So I don't know what to think..... the No 3G is the thing that really bothers me the most.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CECT-G1-GSM-AT-T-T-mobile-Google-Android-Unlocked-Phone_W0QQitemZ270436426873QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCell _Phones?hash=item3ef7446479&_trksid=p4295.c0.m299

misfitpierce
August 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
There are some that have knock off android os on them and chances are this one does... get a G1 cause they only like $200 on craigslist and types of sites like that...

t0p
August 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
All those features that the phone lacks, and which you say are "no big deal" actually are a big deal, because these are the features that make a smart phone. Really, what's the point of having an Android phone if it lacks all smart phone features?

If you want a fully-functioning smart phone, buy a fully-fledged G1 or one of its competitors (iPhone or whatever). If you want to buy one of these knock-offs just for some geek-appearance kudos... don't bother. Coz you'll get no kudos when folk discover that your "smart" phone actually does nothing but take calls. If you want a phone that does nothing other than handle calls and text messages... you can buy a basic phone for very little.

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 02:18 AM
stay away from knockoffs, period. no 3G and wifi? have fun using a smartphone like it should be used.