PDA

View Full Version : Why are ThinkPads so expensive?

Tobywuk
August 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a new notebook and will be using it with Ubuntu. I previously had a macbook pro before getting fed up with apple & OSX.

I have been looking at the lenovo T400/500 (See Here (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=B57A7B9D8E61436E99229D3B59391C53)) but im wondering why the lenovo notebooks are so expensive compared to similar spec systems from manufacturers like dell?

Does anyone have any comments on the Thinkpads and are they worth the money?
Does Ubuntu play well with the thinkpad T400? - I have looked on the ubuntu support page and all seems ok.

Do you have any specific recommendations for a powerfull but portable notebook for running ubuntu?

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Yes. ThinkPads are by far the most robust of all laptops.

tgalati4
August 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Take one apart and see for yourself. Compare it to anything else out there.

If you are on a budget, try buying a used thinkpad through craigslist. There are lots of them out there.

Linux generally works out-of-the-box on thinkpads. With some tweaking, you can get all the extra functions to work properly.

50words
August 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Because they are worth it. They have the best hardware, excellent support, and outstanding durability.

robertp999
August 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Checkout http://www.thinkpads.com or the lenovo forum on http://www.notebookreview.com for discount codes / coupons.

They may not be as expensive as you might think at first.

Tobywuk
August 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
The same spec thinkpad Im looking at is ~$880 on the US store and £1,110 on the UK store. That plus the exchange rate = bad times for us Brits! :(

EDIT: mistake on the price, oops!

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
The same spec thinkpad Im looking at is ~$880 on the US store and £110 on the UK store. That plus the exchange rate = bad times for us Brits! :(

£110. Sounds like a deal to me. ;)

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM
i read system76 laptops are just as robust and are comparable in features

50words
August 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM

I would be extremely surprised if that were true. As far as I can tell, System76 uses generic plastic laptop cases, while Lenovo uses their own, specially designed with a magnesium roll cage to protect the innards.

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM

I read there were WMDs in Iraq.

madjr
August 31st, 2009, 12:48 AM
I read there were WMDs in Iraq.

i heard that too =O

gletob
August 31st, 2009, 04:55 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a new notebook and will be using it with Ubuntu. I previously had a macbook pro before getting fed up with apple & OSX.

I have been looking at the lenovo T400/500 (See Here (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=B57A7B9D8E61436E99229D3B59391C53)) but im wondering why the lenovo notebooks are so expensive compared to similar spec systems from manufacturers like dell?

Does Ubuntu play well with the thinkpad T400? - I have looked on the ubuntu support page and all seems ok.

Do you have any specific recommendations for a powerfull but portable notebook for running ubuntu?

Can they say this about the system76 laptops?

http://www.slashgear.com/eight-lenovo-thinkpads-hit-military-rugged-standards-2335468/

Low Pressure – Tests operation at 15,000 feet
Humidity – Cycles 95 percent humidity through the environment
Vibration (operational and non-operational) – Jostles and jolts the laptops to make sure they can withstand shocks
High Temperature – Simulates high heat conditions by baking the laptop up to 140 degrees
Low Temperature – Tests operation at minus 4 degrees
Temperature Shock – Fluctuates between minus 4 and up to 140 degrees to test operation
Dust – Blows dust for an extended amount of time

All test passed.

HappyFeet
August 31st, 2009, 05:16 AM
I only paid $20 for mine. It's the Thinkpad X30 :) But I have a good connection. ;) I'm running puppy on it now, and will probably stay that way. All I do is surf on it, so puppy is perfect for that.

To be honest, I think they are good computers, but I probably would not be using one if I had to pay full price. Check craigslist everyday and you will eventually find a decent deal. I've actually scored some really nice computers for $20-30, and then resold them (on craigslist) for much more. You would also be amazed at what people have given me for nothing.
:guitar:

I now have boxes of parts (mostly donations) like you would not believe. I just strip all usable parts from fried machines.

I got a call one time (actually happened 2 times) from a small company that needed someone to take their old computers off their hands. No problem. I wound up with 3 older imacs, 2 newer G4's, and 2 Dell PC's. I freshly reinstalled on all of them and made some nice coin from it.
:guitar:

50words
August 31st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Does the Active Shock Protection work in Linux? That is one of the few pre-installed programs worth using. It isn't the kind of thing you notice whether it is working or not, so I can't tell.

HappyFeet
August 31st, 2009, 05:31 AM
Does the Active Shock Protection work in Linux? That is one of the few pre-installed programs worth using. It isn't the kind of thing you notice whether it is working or not, so I can't tell.

I could be wrong, but I think that capability is built into the machine itself.

Frak
August 31st, 2009, 05:31 AM
Whoever posted on the System76's, my latest one's latch broke, so it's already RMA'd.

As for Thinkpads, I have one from '96 that still runs fine. Thing's been beatup many a times, still just fine.

HappyFeet
August 31st, 2009, 05:35 AM
Whoever posted on the System76's, my latest one's latch broke, so it's already RMA'd.

As for Thinkpads, I have one from '96 that still runs fine. Thing's been beatup many a times, still just fine.
That one must be capable of 128mb RAM max? No? That would be good with DSL or Tiny Core.

tgalati4
August 31st, 2009, 05:36 AM
Active shock is one of those "needs tweaking" to get it to work. Plus you can play tux racer by tilting the laptop.

Used thinkpads are a deal because businesses (who payed full price with 3-year warranty) dump them after the tax writeoff and after the warranty expires. There are a lot of them out there that need to find a good home.

Frak
August 31st, 2009, 05:36 AM
That one must be capable of 128mb RAM max? No? That would be good with DSL or Tiny Core.
It has 32mb installed, and I don't plan on buying extremely expensive old RAM to upgrade it with.

sideaway
August 31st, 2009, 05:50 AM
Thinkpads have the possibility to be the best ~$2000 (NZD), say 1350 greenbacks? that you'll ever spend on a computer :P

Dragonbite
August 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Because Thinkpads include a drain tray, so when you spill water or something on your keyboard it is routed out drain holes on the bottom and bypasses the chip and motherboard electronics.

If they are going to have the forethought and attention to details with that, what else are they going to innovate?