PDA

View Full Version : Filezilla to transfer files between computers?

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Is this possible? So that I can access files on my desktop computer from my laptop computer?

Kingsley
August 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Sure. Set up an FTP server on either computer.

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 08:12 PM
How do I do that? Does it make a difference if one computer is running windows and the other ubuntu?

Kingsley
August 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
On Ubuntu, I would use vsftpd to set up an FTP server. Search the forum for a good guide. I'm not sure of what to use on Windows. But it doesn't matter which OS you use to connect to the FTP server.

cariboo
August 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I use filezilla and sftp. If you have openssh-server installed you don't need anything else. Filezilla is in the repositories, and there is a free windows client available.

You can use sftp with nautilus too.

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
am also interested in this since network sharing windows (vista, win7, not xp) + linux = Fail

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
so what program is recommended to set up a file server on my windows desktop?

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I use filezilla and sftp. If you have openssh-server installed you don't need anything else. Filezilla is in the repositories, and there is a free windows client available.

You can use sftp with nautilus too.

how would you connect and browse?

how is the speed?

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
so what program is recommended to set up a file server on my windows desktop?
Filezilla

chris4585
August 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
how would you connect and browse?

how is the speed?

If you have openssh-server installed on Ubuntu for the computer you want to serve files, then on another computer go to Places > Connect To Server > and select SSH etc.. with filezilla on windows just connect via sftp

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
He was trollin'! Trolls, trolls. I'm not trollin'! He was trollin'! Trooools. I'm not trollin'!

who is boxxy and why she got so many views =o

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
A girl and why not?

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Alright, I think I have everything set up properly. I set up everything on filezilla on windows with a tutorial then I connected to the server on my ubuntu laptop and I was able to access all the folders like I specified. Is there anything else I need to know about maintaining/accessing the server?

How do I unmount the server?

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 09:33 PM
A girl and why not?

this one is nUtz

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Alright, I think I have everything set up properly. I set up everything on filezilla on windows with a tutorial then I connected to the server on my ubuntu laptop and I was able to access all the folders like I specified. Is there anything else I need to know about maintaining/accessing the server?

How do I unmount the server?
It should auto-unmount when you are done. It is only active when a file query or transfer is active.

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
ah, well I just tried to copy a file from my fileserver to my laptop and the file operation seems to be stuck... It says 1.7KB of 1.75KB have been copied but the file operations box is still up. I clicked on the red X to cancel it but now its just stuck. What do I do?

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I think that something is going wrong somewhere along the line. I connect to the server then I go in and copy a file from the server to my laptop. The copying file dialog box comes up and shows the progress of the copying. It went to 100% but the box doesn't close. I press the x and nothing happens. It seems to be hung up on it. Then I notice that after a few minutes on my filezilla server it says the connection has timed out.

What's going on here?

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I think that something is going wrong somewhere along the line. I connect to the server then I go in and copy a file from the server to my laptop. The copying file dialog box comes up and shows the progress of the copying. It went to 100% but the box doesn't close. I press the x and nothing happens. It seems to be hung up on it. Then I notice that after a few minutes on my filezilla server it says the connection has timed out.

What's going on here?

time to hack in

chris4585
August 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM

boxxy is awesome

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
After it says the connection timed out and on my laptop I try to connect back to the server I get the error

Could not open location "*server address here*"
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
After it says the connection timed out and on my laptop I try to connect back to the server I get the error

Could not open location "*server address here*"
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

this is from windows to linux; linux to windows; linux to linux ; other?

cody7002002
August 30th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Windows computer has filezilla server installed on it.

On my ubuntu computer I go to places>connect to server then put in the proper information and it connects. I'm noticing that after a few minutes the server times out leaving me to have to restart the computer

DigitalDuality
August 31st, 2009, 02:38 AM
Is this possible? So that I can access files on my desktop computer from my laptop computer?

this is much easier with ssh, that way you have ssh, sftp and scp options open to you and never have to fire up a graphical client.

putty, filezilla, and/or winscp though would be good options on windows

FuturePilot
August 31st, 2009, 03:53 AM

On my ubuntu computer I go to places>connect to server then put in the proper information and it connects. I'm noticing that after a few minutes the server times out leaving me to have to restart the computer

Might be this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/366073

madjr
August 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM
the latest (today) full circle mag has some nice articles on networking, servers, lamp and sshfs and the 1 before talks about home servers :)

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

cody7002002
August 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Futurepilot that is exactly the problem I am having. Appears there's no fix in jaunty =/

cariboo
August 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Your problem is not related to the bug quoted above. The bug report is for ftp, not sftp, as they are two different processes.

Have a look in /var/log/auth.log to see if there is any indication of what is happening.

cody7002002
September 1st, 2009, 12:26 AM
I'm looking in the log file but I really don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for

gn2
September 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Cheat, use Adrive (http://www.adrive.com).

FuturePilot
September 1st, 2009, 12:43 AM
Your problem is not related to the bug quoted above. The bug report is for ftp, not sftp, as they are two different processes.

Have a look in /var/log/auth.log to see if there is any indication of what is happening.

I'm pretty sure the OP is using FTP and not SFTP.
AFAIK Filezilla server does not provide SFTP on Windows.

madjr
September 1st, 2009, 02:03 AM

have you tried in kde/dolphin?

seems that bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/366073) is linked to gvfs (gnome/nautilus)

install kubuntu-desktop

else you may want to do normal networking (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6495/1/)