PDA

View Full Version : The Real Price of a Mac

murderslastcrow
August 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM
You know, there's something I've always had a really hard time understanding.

When people buy a Mac, they get ready to enter a whole new world. A few statements from the slightly uninformed masses.

"Sure there isn't a new model cheaper than 1,000 dollars, but it's totally worth it, because it's a Mac."

"I know I'll have to buy a new Mac-compatible tablet and printer, but it's totally worth it to have them in OS X."

"I know it doesn't have too many games, but all the really good stuff is ported to it, so that's okay."

"Sure the OS is bulky without very good reason, but it'll get better, so it's fine."

So, what are some typical statements with people switching to Linux, in comparison? Well, first of all, this is from people who aren't preparing for a whole new world at all.

"Why can't I use all my Windows programs?"

"Why doesn't it work perfectly with my ten year old hardware? (compiz isn't fullspeed XD)"

"If I can get all my hardware working, why can't I just get the stupid Wine working!?"

As you can see, people aren't really losing that much when they switch to Linux. They get a free OS, easily installed, and can even use the computer they already have to a fuller potential (they don't bother to buy Linux-tailored hardware like you have to with the Mac).

They get to choose what it looks like, and it only lacks user-friendly video editing, and a lil' speech recognition software in comparison. Linux, with Wine, can have plenty of games (so can OS X, sure).

But Apple's idea of Windows compatibility is installing a partition of Windows on your Mac. Really original.

Mac OS X isn't a bad OS, but the driver support isn't that incredible, software selection isn't as great as you'd like, since a lot of people don't bother porting their source-code to a Mac interface.

So, in essence, you pay plenty of extra charges for a Mac, and you run into a brand new world full of iLife and a dock/Expose. But um, I don't understand the allure. Linux provides you with an easy way to get most of what you'd want from a Mac (besides iLife), plenty of Windows file type and binary compatibility, and it's FAST. I wonder why people even deal with OS X being so bulky in the first place, just because the computers can handle it.

So, all those people who say you should consider, 'the real price of using Linux in business or home' due to their perceived difficulty or lack of compatibility, they should really look more into the real price of using a Mac. Pay out your nose for something completely unnecessary, for the sake of 'simplicity' or security.

Again, the OS itself isn't that bad, and would be pretty cool if it weren't a kernel made of cannibalized Open Source covered in a glossy, chunky exterior. But in the end, if you have Linux, OS X has very little to offer. I still use mine though, since the hardware is delicious. XD

Again, I ain't no Apple-hater. I just think consumers should be more conscientious about what they really need right now. And if we can all use Linux and still keep most of our programs, with the ability to comfortably use older hardware, then I don't see why people should spend money on expensive computers as opposed to education, alternative energy, and the things that really matter to them.

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM
it only lacks user-friendly video editing

kdenlive (http://www.kdenlive.org/) is easy to use and probably the best linux "user-friendly" editor

openshot (http://www.openshotvideo.com/) also looks good and simple (even thou was just released)

http://img2.pict.com/63/c2/06/1515752/0/640/capturadepantalla1.png

for the most part MacOS is a tightly integrated, user friendly (many things easier than linux) and stable OS + the hardware is nice and shiny :O

it just works

if you buy from zareason or system76 you'll feel the same way. You'll feel first class

SuperSonic4
August 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Pretty much but then most mac users make my elitism look meek

koshatnik
August 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You know, there's something I've always had a really hard time understanding.

When people buy a Mac, they get ready to enter a whole new world. A few statements from the slightly uninformed masses.

"Sure there isn't a new model cheaper than 1,000 dollars, but it's totally worth it, because it's a Mac."

"I know I'll have to buy a new Mac-compatible tablet and printer, but it's totally worth it to have them in OS X."

"I know it doesn't have too many games, but all the really good stuff is ported to it, so that's okay."

"Sure the OS is bulky without very good reason, but it'll get better, so it's fine."

So, what are some typical statements with people switching to Linux, in comparison? Well, first of all, this is from people who aren't preparing for a whole new world at all.

"Why doesn't it work perfectly with my ten year old hardware? (compiz isn't fullspeed XD)"

"If I can get all my hardware working, why can't I just get the stupid Wine working!?"

As you can see, people aren't really losing that much when they switch to Linux. They get a free OS, easily installed, and can even use the computer they already have to a fuller potential (they don't bother to buy Linux-tailored hardware like you have to with the Mac).

They get to choose what it looks like, and it only lacks user-friendly video editing, and a lil' speech recognition software in comparison. Linux, with Wine, can have plenty of games (so can OS X, sure).

But Apple's idea of Windows compatibility is installing a partition of Windows on your Mac. Really original.

Mac OS X isn't a bad OS, but the driver support isn't that incredible, software selection isn't as great as you'd like, since a lot of people don't bother porting their source-code to a Mac interface.

So, in essence, you pay plenty of extra charges for a Mac, and you run into a brand new world full of iLife and a dock/Expose. But um, I don't understand the allure. Linux provides you with an easy way to get most of what you'd want from a Mac (besides iLife), plenty of Windows file type and binary compatibility, and it's FAST. I wonder why people even deal with OS X being so bulky in the first place, just because the computers can handle it.

So, all those people who say you should consider, 'the real price of using Linux in business or home' due to their perceived difficulty or lack of compatibility, they should really look more into the real price of using a Mac. Pay out your nose for something completely unnecessary, for the sake of 'simplicity' or security.

Again, the OS itself isn't that bad, and would be pretty cool if it weren't a kernel made of cannibalized Open Source covered in a glossy, chunky exterior. But in the end, if you have Linux, OS X has very little to offer. I still use mine though, since the hardware is delicious. XD

Again, I ain't no Apple-hater. I just think consumers should be more conscientious about what they really need right now. And if we can all use Linux and still keep most of our programs, with the ability to comfortably use older hardware, then I don't see why people should spend money on expensive computers as opposed to education, alternative energy, and the things that really matter to them.

Computers are a tool, you select the right tool for the job. If its not a Mac for you, then don't buy one.

A windows based computer wasnt the right tool for me (stability, security not good enough), neither is a linux one (lack of critical apps), so the only option available was Mac, which combines stability and security with critical apps.

Why do people constantly feel the need to pontificate on this issue? There is no best computer, no best OS, no best anything. There is only what is right for you.

schauerlich
August 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Oh dear.

I really should stay away from this one, for my own sanity, but the flamebait is so... shiny...

"I know I'll have to buy a new Mac-compatible tablet and printer, but it's totally worth it to have them in OS X." OS X is actually known for having good compatibility with devices. Welcome to 1998.

[citation needed]

Also: see Snow Leopard

"If I can get all my hardware working, why can't I just get the stupid Wine working!?"Right. The only issues people have when switching to Linux are problems with Wine and problems with compiz, and any problems with compiz are their fault because they have bad hardware.

Crossover?

Also: When someone says "I want to switch to Linux, but I want to be able to run X." If X isn't known to run flawlessly in Wine (which isn't a whole lot of programs), the recommendation is almost always to dual boot. The fact is, running an app in its native environment is almost always the way to get the best (or in some cases, any) performance out of it.

Mac OS X isn't a bad OS, but the driver support isn't that incredible, software selection isn't as great as you'd like,

Again, welcome to 1998.

since a lot of people don't bother porting their source-code to a Mac interface.

See MacPorts and Fink

But um, I don't understand the allure.
This is the crux of your post. You don't like Mac OS X. Cool. Whatevs. You're making universal statements about it and assuming everyone else feels the same way.

Again, the OS itself isn't that bad, and would be pretty cool if it weren't a kernel made of cannibalized Open Source covered in a glossy, chunky exterior.
Sigh. Please see the "common misconceptions" link in my sig.

Again, I ain't no Apple-hater.
O rly?

I just think consumers should be more conscientious about what they really need right now. And if we can all use Linux and still keep most of our programs, with the ability to comfortably use older hardware, then I don't see why people should spend money on expensive computers as opposed to education, alternative energy, and the things that really matter to them.Why buy a computer at all, if we could be spending the money on world peace?

KiwiNZ
August 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
A quick use of the search function will reveal that this topic has been discussed at length many many times.

CTRL-ALT-DEL

Shut down

Close