PDA

View Full Version : I have to leave the Desktop computing to Windows

irv
February 4th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I am sorry to say, I have left the Ubuntu Desktop and have gone back to WinXP for my main Desktop PC. I was working on my taxes the other day, when everything started running slow. I had no choice but to shut down the PC and restart it again. It came up again with all kinds of errors at boot up and my network quit working. I couldn't get at my printers and couldn't even set them up again. The more I tried to fix it the worst it got. I keep posting on the forum asking for help, but no one responded to my cry for help. This is why I have left the desktop computing to Windows. I am still running Ubuntu Linux on my server, but as far as the desktop goes I need support because I am not a Linux expert. I know Windows inside-out, but until I get more time working with Linux I need to keep running Windows as my main Desktop. I will either buy another PC or just duel-boot with both OS'.
I thinks there are others out there that have the same problems I am having, and until more time is spend on Linux it will not be the choice of the masses.
In closing I would like to say, I did do a new re-install of Ubuntu 5.10 and this fixed everything, but I did loose some things, but it wasn't life and death things, so I will recover in a few days. After I found it fixed everything, I un-install and went back to Windows. It was a good thing I had my checkbook backup, and I was doing my taxes on-line, so my finances are in tack.
Hopefully this is only a temporary set-back.:-({|=
Happy computing.
Irv

prizrak
February 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM
I know this would be a fairly stupid comparison, but doesn't Windows do the same thing all the time? I know I had to do random reinstalls of Windows many times.

xequence
February 4th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I wasnt going to reply, as I didnt want anyone else to, but since someone already did I might as well.

and until more time is spend on Linux it will not be the choice of the masses.

Linux doesent work perfectly for you. That doesent mean it doesent work perfectly for millions of others.

It wont be the choice of the masses until the masses have a choice.

rfruth
February 4th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Its good that IRV knows Windows inside and out cause patch Tuesday is right around the corner http://www.thetechgap.com/2005/01/strongpatch_tue.html

fuscia
February 4th, 2006, 04:17 AM
"linux made one mistake. i want something that makes mistakes all the time. is consistantly bad too much to ask for?"

btw, i just did my taxes on linux, for the first time, and i just found out i'm getting back ten million dollars, LOL!

prizrak
February 4th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I wasnt going to reply, as I didnt want anyone else to, but since someone already did I might as well.

Linux doesent work perfectly for you. That doesent mean it doesent work perfectly for millions of others.

It wont be the choice of the masses until the masses have a choice.
I wasn't even gonna read the topic at first much less reply. But when someone says that Linux broke once for no reason and they will be going back to Windows (which has been known to do that quite frequently) I couldn't resist.

Virogenesis
February 4th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I think hes trying to say he likes ubuntu but when things go wrong he wants to be able to fix it which is understandable.
If he breaks something he wants to know how to fix it straight away hes not happy with windows you can tell otherwise he wouldn't have tried linux in the first place.
Winodws does break but many know how to get data off of windows when it currupts.
But I do find the title of the thread quite annoying personaly don't ask me why as I have no idea.
I also find the reactions of members of the forums quite annoying aswell as I believe this user enjoyed his experience with linux up to a certain point I also believe this user will return due to bad experiences with that other OS.

xequence
February 4th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I wasn't even gonna read the topic at first much less reply. But when someone says that Linux broke once for no reason and they will be going back to Windows (which has been known to do that quite frequently) I couldn't resist.

Nothing wrong with you replying, just I wasnt going to initially ;)

irv
February 5th, 2006, 12:19 AM
The line:
But I do find the title of the thread quite annoying personally don't ask me why as I have no idea.
When I gave this thread this title I did expect Linux user's to be annoyed. I would have been annoyed also, and that is exactly why I did it. I was annoyed that I didn't get at lease one reply to two other thread I put out in the forum crying for help. Yes, I did go back to Windows, but I also was going to setup a duel boot to Linux again.
I spend two days setting up my Windows system again, (and I know it give me more head-aches then Linux every did) but I do know how to fix windows when it breaks. Not so with Linux.
After getting Windows set just the way I wanted it, I did a reinstall of Linux, but when I setup for a duel boot, I had something go very wrong. I was locked out of both Linux and Window because I was getting a error in the boot loader. I finely had to boot with the WinXP CD and run the Repair. I ran the “fixmbr” command and this allowed me to get into Windows again, but I had to delete Linux again because I had no way of booting in to it. I may give it another try another day, but I am just wore out trying to get everything to work together.
Some days I wonder why I ever got to like computers. There are some days I think I even hate them.
I had a full time job fixing computers but now I am retired and I spend more time fixing my own computers that when I did it for a living.
I will be back! [-X
Oh ya, I was trying to say I do like Ubuntu Linux but when things go wrong I do need help to fix them until I get to know Linux inside-out like Windows.
Maybe what really set me off was, I found out I owe $6,000 in taxes this year.

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I was annoyed that I didn't get at lease one reply to two other thread I put out in the forum crying for help.

So, you didnt like the support the people who go on the tech support forums gave you, so you try to annoy the people in community chat?

Oh, and did you ever think maybe the people that go in the tech support forums might not know the answer? Would you like everyone to reply and say "Dont know"?

prizrak
February 5th, 2006, 12:43 AM
The line:
But I do find the title of the thread quite annoying personally don't ask me why as I have no idea.
When I gave this thread this title I did expect Linux user's to be annoyed. I would have been annoyed also, and that is exactly why I did it. I was annoyed that I didn't get at lease one reply to two other thread I put out in the forum crying for help. Yes, I did go back to Windows, but I also was going to setup a duel boot to Linux again.
I spend two days setting up my Windows system again, (and I know it give me more head-aches then Linux every did) but I do know how to fix windows when it breaks. Not so with Linux.
After getting Windows set just the way I wanted it, I did a reinstall of Linux, but when I setup for a duel boot, I had something go very wrong. I was locked out of both Linux and Window because I was getting a error in the boot loader. I finely had to boot with the WinXP CD and run the Repair. I ran the “fixmbr” command and this allowed me to get into Windows again, but I had to delete Linux again because I had no way of booting in to it. I may give it another try another day, but I am just wore out trying to get everything to work together.
Some days I wonder why I ever got to like computers. There are some days I think I even hate them.
I had a full time job fixing computers but now I am retired and I spend more time fixing my own computers that when I did it for a living.
I will be back! [-X
Oh ya, I was trying to say I do like Ubuntu Linux but when things go wrong I do need help to fix them until I get to know Linux inside-out like Windows.
Maybe what really set me off was, I found out I owe $6,000 in taxes this year.
Oh that makes alot more sense now :) The original message did seem to rub us Linux geeks the wrong way ;) I find it strange you didn't get replies to your threads asking for help possibly no one knew how to fix it. I guess you should come back when Dapper hits stable it might run better on your system ;) I'd also suggest a different Linux distro, maybe some of the newbie ones like MEPIS or Xandros, since it does seem like you want to go Linux. If you want a learning experience try Gentoo they have a lot of documentation and stuff. It's hard as hell but a good learning experience I leraned quite a bit about Filesystems and partitioning from just installing the thing :)

Cesium
February 5th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I spend two days setting up my Windows system again, (and I know it give me more head-aches then Linux every did) but I do know how to fix windows when it breaks.

Two days? Good lord, that's a long time to get windows running again.

BLTicklemonster
February 5th, 2006, 03:16 AM
pssst, everybody here using ubuntu raise their hands... lol

Sorry, "you know who" I just couldn't resist it.

Hey, dude feels more comfortable with Windows, so what? Hey, when you get a little extra money, get a new hard drive, and dual boot ubuntu so you can keep up with what's going on! Who knows, you might be the one to find what happened and how to fix it! \\:D/

*edit, sheesh, 6000 dollars?

irv
February 5th, 2006, 06:30 PM
After blowing off all that seam, and coming to see why I wanted to leave Windows in the first place, I came back. I am now running Ubuntu again.
This time when I started to set it up, it went much easier. Some of the things I had trouble with the first time around was Samba, printers, installing software, etc. This time everything went without a hitch. I am duel booting because I need Windows for a couple of things yet. My GPS, My Cell phone, and some MP3 stuff I do for the church. Yes, I know I can do MP3 with Linux, but I transfer audio files from CD to MP3 and put on my server. I find Windows does it much faster for some reason. It might be the code in my Ripper software. I did try my windows program under Wine, and it did work for converting files, but it had problems with reading CD's.
Well, to make a long story short, Ubuntu Linux is much much better than any Windows I have ever used.
Glad to be back, and this time I will try not to lose my cool, and I do ask your forgiveness for offending all you faithful Linux users. I know I will be one of you someday if I just keep learning the in's and out's of a new way of doing things.:-D

Mustard
February 5th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Welcome back. :D

aysiu
February 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Can I ask what made you come back?

irv
February 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
aysiu, I came back because I believe Ubuntu Linux is better then Windows, but like I said, I have a lot to learn. The problems I have with Linux, is lack of knowledge, but this should come the more I use it.

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 10:15 PM
aysiu, I came back because I believe Ubuntu Linux is better then Windows, but like I said, I have a lot to learn. The problems I have with Linux, is lack of knowledge, but this should come the more I use it. Exactly. Let's hope you have a better run this time around, ne?

prizrak
February 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
irv, all I can say to you is: "Dude you rock" :)

fuscia
February 5th, 2006, 11:56 PM
aThe problems I have with Linux, is lack of knowledge, but this should come the more I use it.

don't let a little something like that bother you.

Lord Illidan
February 6th, 2006, 12:21 AM
aysiu, I came back because I believe Ubuntu Linux is better then Windows, but like I said, I have a lot to learn. The problems I have with Linux, is lack of knowledge, but this should come the more I use it.

Don't worry.. I used to copy and paste terminal commands blindly, until I discovered man pages!