PDA

View Full Version : We should make Kubuntu more like Ubuntu...

davbren
August 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Here me out now... :)

From reading other threads there seems to be a little grievance as to the progression of Gnome. The problem of course is that KDE has already rebuilt themselves into the glossy shell we see today.

Gnome, as we know, is elegant in its simplicity. KDE...less so. So what I propose is to add the simplicity of Ubuntu into Kubuntu. We need to show Kubuntu some love, it seems to be neglected.

Perhaps some simplifying apps for appearance and other configuration tools. I think these are the main ones.

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM

From reading other threads there seems to be a little grievance as to the progression of Gnome. The problem of course is that KDE has already rebuilt themselves into the glossy shell we see today.

Gnome, as we know, is elegant in its simplicity. KDE...less so. So what I propose is to add the simplicity of Ubuntu into Kubuntu. We need to show Kubuntu some love, it seems to be neglected.

Perhaps some simplifying apps for appearance and other configuration tools. I think these are the main ones.

no! please don't do that!

Kubuntu has enough love and enough lovers.

You can not simplify things in KDE just for Kubuntu. Because all the apps and all the features are part of upstream KDE.

Additionally KDE has a different targeted audience than Gnome.

KDE's customers want to have lots of possibilities to adjust nearly any detail of the desktop and in the apps.
Gnome's customers want simplicity and they don't want to have to adjust lots of thing to fullfill their taste and requirements.

And for the simplifying apps for the appearance: what is simpler than a right-click on the desktop, choosing a theme and if no theme fits your taste, just download some themes from kde-look.org?

hoppipolla
August 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I agree, but I think this will come later, as KDE 4.x shows an increased level of maturity.

For now, as much as I love KDE, I have never argued that it provides a better DE for Ubuntu than Gnome as it stands currently.

Watch out for development surrounding KDE 4.4 or 4.5, in my opinion :)

EDIT -- Screwdriver0815 has a point though that we don't want to OVER simplify KDE. The key words here I feel are refinement and polish :)

mikewhatever
August 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I don't want Gnome to become a 'glossy shell', and KDE become more like Gnome. Let them evolve side by side providing alternatives for the users.

alienclone
August 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
i don't want gnome to become a 'glossy shell', and kde become more like gnome. Let them evolve side by side providing alternatives for the users.

+1

hoppipolla
August 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I don't want Gnome to become a 'glossy shell', and KDE become more like Gnome. Let them evolve side by side providing alternatives for the users.

It's inefficient like that though ._.

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM

linuxmint 7 KDE edition (http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_gloria_kde_whatsnew.php)

review (http://www.itlure.com/2009/08/distro-hoppin-linux-mint-7-kde-edition.html)

the next releases of kubuntu should be much better and easier to use, specially that pesky kpackagekit

SuperSonic4
August 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Kubuntu should focus more upon stability than simplicity. KDE 4.3 is stable now but Kubuntu is less so than raw KDE or other KDE distros such as fedora.

I would like to see modularisation so users could choose groups to install such as
sudo apt-get install kde-games

K.Mandla
August 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Let them evolve side by side providing alternatives for the users.
Huge +1.

Mark76
August 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
It needs to be... Browner :biggrin:

koleoptero
August 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
It needs to be... Browner :biggrin:

+1 Make Kubuntu Brown! :guitar:

hoppipolla
August 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
+1 Make Kubuntu Brown! :guitar:

*switches distributions* lol

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Kubuntu should focus more upon stability than simplicity. KDE 4.3 is stable now but Kubuntu is less so than raw KDE or other KDE distros such as fedora.

I would like to see modularisation so users could choose groups to install such as
sudo apt-get install kde-games

can you prove that Kubuntu is less stable than other KDE distro's? I have tested Mandriva for some months and I had more crashes with it than with Kubuntu.

modularisation...

sudo apt-get install kdegames

you can try it... and? you will get installed the kde-games... oh uppss... there is a dash missing in the command!!!11!! :lolflag: but anyway you will get the games... so Kubuntu is modularisated (or however it is named)
Kubuntu uses the same repo's as Ubuntu

just because it is different because of the DE it seems like that it is different at all. It isn't. And it is also not the worst KDE-implementation on the world (just in case, if someone wants to stress this again...).

davbren
August 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I get that there needs to be choice in the world of Linux but for much of the general public which, lets face it, Mark Shuttleworth is aiming for, there isn't a capable choice.

You look at Win 7, you look at OSX. What we have, can't compare. I don't want a carbon copy of either of those. I want and alternative to them, but I want a comparable alternative.

I agree, as far as applications are concerned, Linux is comparable, Ubuntu more than any other distro. The difference of course is the foundations. Win 7 clearly uses the same graphics engine as Vista. Yet it is so much better than its predecessor. There doesn't seem to be the same flexibility in the GTK foundations to be as revolutionary. This is one of the reasons I moved to Kubuntu. There is more room for improvement. imho Gnome 3.0 just doesn't cut it.

There is no happy medium between ultimate control yet pretty, and stable and simple (and unfortunately boring).

SuperSonic4
August 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
can you prove that Kubuntu is less stable than other KDE distro's? I have tested Mandriva for some months and I had more crashes with it than with Kubuntu.

modularisation...

sudo apt-get install kdegames

you can try it... and? you will get installed the kde-games... oh uppss... there is a dash missing in the command!!!11!! :lolflag: but anyway you will get the games... so Kubuntu is modularisated (or however it is named)
Kubuntu uses the same repo's as Ubuntu

just because it is different because of the DE it seems like that it is different at all. It isn't. And it is also not the worst KDE-implementation on the world (just in case, if someone wants to stress this again...).

Perhaps kubuntu is more stable now, I don't know but last time I tried it it was crashing too often, especially plasma

What about
sudo apt-get remove kde-games

I know kubuntu uses the same repos as ubuntu, I'm not thick and let's face it it may as well be a whole new ball game to the ignorant public who hardly look beyond the skin and flash.
What is the worst KDE implementation then?

davbren
August 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Well it seems odd to me that it should be an issue to make KDE simple to use. I get that people want to have ultimate control. Those people are super users. Most people are *not* super users. I wouldn't want to see the amount of options diminish. But perhaps hide them a bit. Bring the more simple side of things forward. Make things more intuitive. It took me ages to install a new theme not so long ago. Thats something that just shouldn't be difficult...

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Perhaps kubuntu is more stable now, I don't know but last time I tried it it was crashing too often, especially plasma

What about

I know kubuntu uses the same repos as ubuntu, I'm not thick and let's face it it may as well be a whole new ball game to the ignorant public who hardly look beyond the skin and flash.
What is the worst KDE implementation then?

you would get a failure message, because the package is named kdegames, not kde-games. Thats it. Its not in Gnome-style then with the dash and so on... but who cares?

worst KDE implementation? Fedora with KDE

RabbitWho
August 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM
The complexity was not the problem for me with Kubuntu, the fact that it was filled with bugs and kept krashing was the problem for me, not to mention the difficulty in connecting to the Internet (this is a basic function and shouldn't involve downloading anything, it doesn't on Ubuntu or Spri, there was software in the dongel for Windows (which is inefficient and crap) and for Mac it involved contacting the broadband company and having them send us out a special CD). Other than that I like it way more than Ubuntu. I wouldn't change it for the world, and some day I'll go back to it.

If you find it difficult to use, then you learn!

Skripka
August 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM

you would get a failure message, because the package is named kdegames, not kde-games. Thats it. Its not in Gnome-style then with the dash and so on... but who cares?

worst KDE implementation? Fedora with KDE

Meh, Fedora's implementation of KDE is better than Ubuntu's.

I'm seriously curious why Ubuntu's KDE is so bad. Is it really that DEs need patched into oblivion to run on Ubuntu? Because Vanilla KDE runs great here (Arch).

davbren
August 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM
If you find it difficult to use, then you learn!

I, like anyone else in the forums have no problem with learning, but I shouldn't have to. It should be easy. It should be simple. It doesn't seem right that the philosophy behind a DE is for it *not* to be simple to use...

gjoellee
August 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Ubuntu = Ubuntu + GNOME, and it should look like GNOME
Kubuntu = Ubuntu + KDE, and it should look like KDE
Xubuntu = Ubuntu + XFCE, and it is a fail

If the developers want to show Kubuntu some love, they should rather get the RAM consumption down from 1.5gb to 260mb like KDE in Arch Linux does (I am not talking about KDEmod, just vanilla KDE).

spoons
August 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'd like to see Kubuntu have some Ubuntu feel to it. Right now it just looks like a generic KDE distro. Why not replace the K icon with the Ubuntu logo?

Wiebelhaus
August 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM

I don't understand this. But in any case I could see them doing what PCLOS (http://www.pclinuxos.com/) is doing or possibly provided by the community a KDE 3 remix. I like both old and the new KDE but I don't use either on the daily.

Bölvağur
August 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
YEs yes yes, please begin codeing so we can reap the benefits if there are any. But I highly doubt there will be, but you really should go change things like you want them to be, that is open source for you.

Mark76
August 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'd like to see Kubuntu have some Ubuntu feel to it. Right now it just looks like a generic KDE distro. Why not replace the K icon with the Ubuntu logo?

Kubuntu icons exist. So why they're not used is anyones' guess.

davbren
August 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
YEs yes yes, please begin codeing so we can reap the benefits if there are any. But I highly doubt there will be, but you really should go change things like you want them to be, that is open source for you.

haha I'd love to. I'm sure you know its not quite as easy as that. If I were to embark on this I would like a team to plan things properly. Such as design and time frames etc...

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Meh, Fedora's implementation of KDE is better than Ubuntu's.

I'm seriously curious why Ubuntu's KDE is so bad. Is it really that DEs need patched into oblivion to run on Ubuntu? Because Vanilla KDE runs great here (Arch).

nope, Fedora with KDE is an awful mixture between KDE and Gnome Icons. Its really really ugly.

Ubuntu's KDE is not bad. It runs good. And when you update to KDE 4.3 it is even better.

davbren
August 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I don't think that Canonical's implementation of KDE is bad in comparison to other distros. I merely think it could be better. By implementing some of the tools and mini-apps from Ubuntu to make the experience in Kubuntu one that is more simple and intuitive..

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I don't think that Canonical's implementation of KDE is bad in comparison to other distros. I merely think it could be better. By implementing some of the tools and mini-apps from Ubuntu to make the experience in Kubuntu one that is more simple and intuitive..

which mini apps do you mean, could be better for Kubuntu?

Chronon
August 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
It's inefficient like that though ._.

Yes, but efficiency and offering alternatives/choice are not identical goals. The most efficient situation would offer you no choice at all.

hoppipolla
September 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM
Yes, but efficiency and offering alternatives/choice are not identical goals. The most efficient situation would offer you no choice at all.

Well, maybe not no choice at ALL, but we would need to focus tremendously on one set-up I feel if we are going to create a system to compete with the commercial OSs.

davbren
September 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
well, maybe not no choice at all, but we would need to focus tremendously on one set-up i feel if we are going to create a system to compete with the commercial oss.

+1