PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu 9.04 with kernel 2.6.28-15 wont boot

Robert_L
August 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi

I updated my xubuntu 9.04 system with an upgrade using the "upgrade manager" that gave me a new kernel 2.6.28-15. After that it was not possible to reboot the system. Grub ended up with Error 18.

I then was able to select the previous kernel 2.6.28-14 via the grub "boot selection menu". Then the system booted OK.

So the question is then what has changed between 2.6.28-14 and 2.6.28-15 that may cause this error?

I have temporary commented the 2.6.28-15 lines in the menu.lst file so that it automatically picks the 2.6.28-14 instead.

/Robert

sandy4linux
August 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM
hi,
This occur due to broken package during downloads. in order to fix this..
Go to recovery mode...

enter Root shell..

Type in command

sudo dpkg --configure -a

this may upgrade the broken package.

regards

Robert_L
August 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hi
I got "unknown flag --command" as a response to the proposed command.

Should I substitude --command with something?

Another thing is that if I start synaptic it says zero broken packages?

/Robert

sandy4linux
August 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Have your internet connection to fix the error packages.

If it still doesnt work then enter DPKG in recovery window

Regards

Robert_L
August 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hi
I got the dpkg command right this time. There were no output from the command telling about repaired or fixed packages, though. And this match what I noticed in synaptic saying there are no broken packages.

Then I tried to boot with 2.6.28-15 but it still fails. Must be some other problem.

Thanks anyhow for your efforts!

/Robert

sandy4linux
August 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Since there is no broken package, this must work. Try this in Root shell..

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Regards

Robert_L
August 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hi
I tried your proposed commands. I was a little confused about you saying root shell and also stating the sudo. So I did both just in case (sudo run in a shell as root).
I provide the commands and the output in the attached file shell.txt. Beware some of this is in swedish but I hope you understand it anyhow.

But there is no difference in result at booting.

I still get Error 18 "Selected cylinder exceeds maximum spported by BIOS" from grub. This is very strange since nothing else has been changed except for taking the system recommended upgrade.

/Robert

sandy4linux
August 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
"Error 18"
Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.

This error is returned, when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle.

Change BIOS settings, you could check hard disk mode. If it's LBA (logical block addressing)or AUTO try changing it to NORMAL.

regards,

Robert_L
August 31st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hi
I tried different setting of BIOS - HD ACCESS MODE. It was set to AUTO originally and I tried LBA, LARGE and finally CHS.

The last one CHS worked fine.

Thanx a lot for your help. :)

/Robert