PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is OpenJDK and IcedTea?

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm reading the Wikipedia pages of both and they don't seem to be different at all. OpenJDK is open source, except for 1%, and IcedTea is fully open source made with open source software. I want to use fully open source software so do i use IcedTea or is OpenJDK the same? Also, why is there an IcedTea6 and OpenJDK6? :confused:

hanzomon4
August 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I believe IcedTea is an implementation of OpenJDK

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I believe IcedTea is an implementation of OpenJDK

That is fully open source?

hanzomon4
August 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah it was made by redhat I believe

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM
So even though i may choose IcedTea because i want to use what's more open, i still haven't had my question of why is there an IcedTea6 and OpenJDK6 and what the difference between these two new versions are.

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
if no.reply=true then
{bump}
if false then
{solved}
</>

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
{bump}

Jimleko211
August 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
As far as I understand it, IcedTea and OpenJDK are really not that different, kind of like the difference between Firefox and IceWeasel (or whatever the name is now). As for IcedTea6 and OpenJDK6, I believe that that means it's compatible with Java 6, which is the current version of Java. If not, it's just version numbers...or both may apply.

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
As far as I understand it, IcedTea and OpenJDK are really not that different, kind of like the difference between Firefox and IceWeasel (or whatever the name is now). As for IcedTea6 and OpenJDK6, I believe that that means it's compatible with Java 6, which is the current version of Java. If not, it's just version numbers...or both may apply.

It's certainly not a naming issue so that's kind of a bad analogy. I kinda get what you're saying but I'd rather use IcedTea because it's more free than OpenJDK as far as I can tell.

Jimleko211
August 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'd suggest googling it, but the only thing relevant that pops up is the post I just posted.

From the article on Wikipedia:
The goal is to make the OpenJDK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK) software which Sun Microsystems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems) released as free software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software) in 2007 usable without requiring any other software that is not free software

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
That's great then, it's free software that only requires free software. Nothing bad about that.

fwendt
January 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm reading the Wikipedia pages of both and they don't seem to be different at all. OpenJDK is open source, except for 1%, and IcedTea is fully open source made with open source software. I want to use fully open source software so do i use IcedTea or is OpenJDK the same? Also, why is there an IcedTea6 and OpenJDK6? :confused:

OpenJDK6 is an attempt to create a "Free" Java implementation. However, to build OpenJDK you're normally required to use some non-free tools. IcedTea is an attempt to replace those build tools with free alternatives, and thereby making it possible to create a truly free OpenJDK build.