PDA

View Full Version : ps3 or 360

nathang1392
August 30th, 2009, 05:41 AM
i am considering buying one or the other since the price drop and i was just wondering which one is better. i have alot of friends that have xbox, but then again i love the fact that ps3 is completely wireless out of the box. any advice?

Jimleko211
August 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Friends are infinitely more important. Plus I love the 360's controller design.

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM
buy a linksys compatible DDWRT router and use it in bridged mode to your current wireless router. that's $50 and 4 ethernet ports for your living room :)

to answer your question, for strictly gaming, 360. for bluray, media center, and some gaming, PS3.

gletob
August 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
The PS3 would have been a extremly great system, but Sony rushed it out the door and didn't do a very good job designing the GPU in the PS3. The graphics on the PS3 (at least the fat one's) is comparable to the Original xbox. As was said before stricly gaming Xbox 360. If your really in to media and have an HDTV for the Blu-Ray, with some gaming, PS3.

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM
The graphics on the PS3 (at least the fat one's) is comparable to the Original xbox.

LOL, that's rubbish. the ONLY reason i don't game more on it is lack of AAA titles and xboxlive is more robust.

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 06:18 AM
if you want Long Term Investment for your buck PS3 is the way to go.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3833593107_579fa1b592_m.jpg

also in about 2 years msft might be already be revealing the new xbox 720 and probably drop support almost inmediatly for the 360 just as they did for original xbox... :/

so you'll stay with just another 'old' console. Their past actions speak for themselves..

atleast for the blu-ray/media center (now at 40 - 50% less power consumption and lots more) is worth it.

HappyFeet
August 30th, 2009, 06:25 AM
if you want Long Term Investment for your buck PS3 is the way to go

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3833593107_579fa1b592_m.jpg
http://gamer.blorge.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/e3-2004-sony-officially-unveils-the-psp-2004051101369761.jpg

I agree. I still use the original Sony PSP 1000 and love it. (I think the newer psp's feel too light and a bit cheaper) But overall, Sony makes good quality stuff. I'll have my psp for years, no doubt. My vote goes to the PS3.

Icehuck
August 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Go where your friends are and you will be happy. If your friends are on the 360 then you should get a 360. They won't care what you did or will do with your ps3.

There will be conversations that go accordingly.

Friend #1: Hey do you remember when we had so much fun playing CoD4 or GTA4? Oh wait you weren't there.

Friends then proceed to have a conversation without you.

vishzilla
August 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM
i would recommend a PS3.. check the PS3 Slim announced by Sony

mrgnash
August 30th, 2009, 06:43 AM
If you want to play online with your friends then, as others have said, the 360 is the way to go. Other than that, I don't know what type of games you like, but if its RPGs, I think the 360 has a somewhat stronger lineup. I'm (primarily) an RPG fan, and am very happy with the 360, as I was with the Xbox before it :) That said, if there are some exclusives on the PS3 that you really want, then that might be a better option for you. In the end, it's always best to choose a console based on which games you're most interested in playing.

gletob
August 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
LOL, that's rubbish. the ONLY reason i don't game more on it is lack of AAA titles and xboxlive is more robust.
That quote was base on a report I read a year or so ago. Upon further investigation, I have found that my previous statement was incorrect.

*Gibbs slaps himself*

cartman640
August 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Xbox 360 without a doubt. Better games, better controller, better online play as well as handling media well. The only downside is no Bluray.

misfitpierce
August 30th, 2009, 07:33 AM
PS3 has better hardware and specs and also does not break as easy as 360's so better investment there... Plus halo is not all its cracked up to be imo... Killzone 2 is way better imo... Plus now that slim ps3 is flying out and is only $300 for 120GB its better deal and also its a blu-ray player for same price... Free online play in games, built in web browser and sony store for mini games and addons for games... man it just doesnt end... Love my PS3 to death... 360 is terrible compared to it for me!

earthpigg
August 30th, 2009, 08:02 AM
PS3 has better hardware and specs and also does not break as easy as 360's so better investment there... Plus halo is not all its cracked up to be imo... Killzone 2 is way better imo... Plus now that slim ps3 is flying out and is only $300 for 120GB its better deal and also its a blu-ray player for same price... Free online play in games, built in web browser and sony store for mini games and addons for games... man it just doesnt end... Love my PS3 to death... 360 is terrible compared to it for me!

the slim ps3 drops linux support.

misfitpierce
August 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM
the slim ps3 drops linux support.

Indeed but on the basis for the need of a good game console its still on top imo... PS3 still just has so much that makes it more worth the money... A decent Sony blu-ray player is at minimum like $200 so if you want blu-ray player its like adding a better game console on top of the blu-ray for $100... Super deal imo...

Also the big PS3's were knocked down in price to $300 as well so you can still get those and put linux on them if wanting to... just depends if you want slim console or big one... I still got big one but will be getting a slim one soon as well!

Sashin
August 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Linux support isn't really important for a console. But does anyone know if it has PS2 game support?

Icehuck
August 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Linux support isn't really important for a console. But does anyone know if it has PS2 game support?

It does not support PS2 games. Regular PS3's don't support ps2 anymore either(unless you got an older system).

misfitpierce
August 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM
The 20 and 60 gigs are the ones that do I believe... Check gamestop.com and youll see the ones that cost more than $300 by a little support the ps2 games... Will also say which do in description on their site also!

stinger30au
August 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
i am considering buying one or the other since the price drop and i was just wondering which one is better. i have alot of friends that have xbox, but then again i love the fact that ps3 is completely wireless out of the box. any advice?

buy both

dont get them new, too expensive

buy one of each second hand

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 08:28 AM

oh yeap forgot xbox live is not free with an annual fee ($70?), so the xbox comes in much more expensive (now i realise why many of my friends never play online and don't even bother to plug it in to the net)

can you still play the "original" xbox games on live or did they drop support for those too?

misfitpierce
August 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Overall microsoft does fix them when 360 breaks but they are so prone to breaking so often with the red ring of doom... PS3 is better investment for what you get and alot of 360 titles are on ps3 and ps3 is better hardware... get ps3 first imo and then get 360 if you need or want in future, thats my say in this!

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Xbox 360 without a doubt. Better games, better controller, better online play as well as handling media well. The only downside is no Bluray.

better controller? LOL, no.

handles media better? rofl.

misguided.

cartman640
August 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
better controller? LOL, no.

handles media better? rofl.

misguided.

The button layout on the 360 controller is (IMO) better, however this is just a personal preference, the 360 controller also feels substantially better made than the PS3 controller too.

Read my post, I never said the 360 handles media better, I said it handles it well. For the record, out of the box I was able to stream much more to my 360 than one of my friends could to his PS3.

Mehall
August 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
i work in a games shop, and here's what i tell my customers:

if you're playing online, ps3 works out cheaper, but what your friends have is more important.

if you're not playing online, get a 20gb premium refurbed by msft in store for £130.

simple as, unless you're buying a blu-ray player too.

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I would wanna play horror/horror survival and rpg games if i got either console. Which one would be better for me? I'm looking at the PS3 because it has a lot out of the box, has a low failure rate, and isn't made by Microsoft.

sideaway
August 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Media handling of either console is average. Well setup HTPC > Console any day.

Also, the Xbox controller >>>> ps3 controller, a million fold. I never played on a ps2 or original xbox until the 360 and now my flatmate owns the ps3... and the controller hurts my hands. It feels like sony ignored 30 years of ergonomic research, it hurts my hands after more than 30minutes...

doorknob60
August 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Also, the Xbox controller >>>> ps3 controller, a million fold. I never played on a ps2 or original xbox until the 360 and now my flatmate owns the ps3... and the controller hurts my hands. It feels like sony ignored 30 years of ergonomic research, it hurts my hands after more than 30minutes...

Really? I find it the opposite. If I have to hold the A button for any amount of time on the 360 my thumb starts to hurt. Also just playing other random games that use the A button often but not holding it down or anything my thumb will start to hurt too. I've noticed it more than once. It's not too bad though. On the other hand, my hands have never been uncomfortable playing the PS3, even playing for hours on end :D Except on this crappy 3rd party c0ontroller my brother got, god it's horrible my hand hurts after a few minutes no matter what I play with that thing :P Good Advice: Use first party controllers! Anyway, I'd personally go with the PS3, it has wireless, bluray, free online, etc. that make it a better deal than the 360. And about media handling, I use PS3MediaServer (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/) and it streams all my stuff problem-free (there's a few files it has trouble with, but they're in a weird format, all the normal stuff works, including transcoding most of the time). It's in Java, but whatever it hides in my system tray and never bugs me.

NCLI
August 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM

This is about personal preference. I, personally, can't stand the 360 controller. I think it's way too heavy, I don't like the way the analog sticks are positioned, and lastly, I find it absolutely ridiculous that you have to buy a rechargeable battery pack for your controller seperately, or be forced to buy a pack of new AA batteries every week(if you're a heavy gamer). The PS3 controller has it built-in.

I would wanna play horror/horror survival and rpg games if i got either console. Which one would be better for me? I'm looking at the PS3 because it has a lot out of the box, has a low failure rate, and isn't made by Microsoft.
Well, some of the best RPG games I've ever played have been on the PS3, though I will admit that the 360 has a lot more games, the quality is VERY varied.

Anyway, for horror, both the PS3 and 360 have the (IMO) sub-par Silent Hill, and the excellent RE5. For exclusives the 360 has Alan Wake(or will, eventually) and PS3 has Siren: Blood Curse, which I personally found very good.

Anyway, I'd recommend the PS3 for RPGs as well simply because both FF vs. XIII & Valkyria Chronicles, an incredible, but not widely known, game.

In other big games, I've never had a game affect me emotionally in the way that Metal Gear Solid 4 did, never played as good a shooter as Killzone 2, or tried as good a driving game as GT5: P, and with the full version of GT5 coming with full damage modelling this autumn, it's never been a better time to buy a PS3. If you need more reasons: GoW3, Last Guardian & free online :guitar:(The only feature Live has over PSN is cross-game voice chat, which is heavily rumored to be upcoming.)

Anyway, in favor of the 360 is Halo 3, which is excellent if you like HALO, obviously, Forza 2 which many deem better than GT, though I disagree, the many Mistwalker RPGs(though they are not anything special), Fable 2(which is awesome!!) and... Well, I really can't come up with more, honestly.

In closing, I would like to say that the reason I chose to get a PS3, and has never regretted handing over 600 USD for it, is the huge number of unique games availible only on the PlayStation Network. Really, some of the best games like fl0w, fl0wer, Pixeljunk Monsters, Shooter, Eden, and many other small, unique titles, along with huge blockbusters like MGS4, and quirky, experimental games like Heavy Rain.

In the end though, it's all up to what you prioritize. I can't deny that the 360 has better online. Not because the service is better, but because everyone and his cat on Live has got a headset, so if you want the best online gaming, and is willing to pay for it, get a 360.

However, if you want a varied selection of great games, and the highest-rated library if you look at the average of all the ratings, you should get the PS3.

If you do choose to get a 360... Well, Zetsubo shita!!! Kono sekai no Microsoft-labu ga zetsubo shita!!

OutOfReach
August 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I have a Xbox, and so do most of my friends, I recommend like others have recommended, get what your friends have.
I enjoy it, it has great exclusives (I don't know what I would do without my Gears of War 2 ;)), and I also love the controller, it feels so natural in my hand while the playstation's controller feels weird, but that's just me.

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
This is about personal preference. I, personally, can't stand the 360 controller. I think it's way too heavy, I don't like the way the analog sticks are positioned, and lastly, I find it absolutely ridiculous that you have to buy a rechargeable battery pack for your controller seperately, or be forced to buy a pack of new AA batteries every week(if you're a heavy gamer). The PS3 controller has it built-in.

Well, some of the best RPG games I've ever played have been on the PS3, though I will admit that the 360 has a lot more games, the quality is VERY varied.

Anyway, for horror, both the PS3 and 360 have the (IMO) sub-par Silent Hill, and the excellent RE5. For exclusives the 360 has Alan Wake(or will, eventually) and PS3 has Siren: Blood Curse, which I personally found very good.

Anyway, I'd recommend the PS3 for RPGs as well simply because both FF vs. XIII & Valkyria Chronicles, an incredible, but not widely known, game.

In other big games, I've never had a game affect me emotionally in the way that Metal Gear Solid 4 did, never played as good a shooter as Killzone 2, or tried as good a driving game as GT5: P, and with the full version of GT5 coming with full damage modelling this autumn, it's never been a better time to buy a PS3. If you need more reasons: GoW3, Last Guardian & free online :guitar:(The only feature Live has over PSN is cross-game voice chat, which is heavily rumored to be upcoming.)

Anyway, in favor of the 360 is Halo 3, which is excellent if you like HALO, obviously, Forza 2 which many deem better than GT, though I disagree, the many Mistwalker RPGs(though they are not anything special), Fable 2(which is awesome!!) and... Well, I really can't come up with more, honestly.

In closing, I would like to say that the reason I chose to get a PS3, and has never regretted handing over 600 USD for it, is the huge number of unique games availible only on the PlayStation Network. Really, some of the best games like fl0w, fl0wer, Pixeljunk Monsters, Shooter, Eden, and many other small, unique titles, along with huge blockbusters like MGS4, and quirky, experimental games like Heavy Rain.

In the end though, it's all up to what you prioritize. I can't deny that the 360 has better online. Not because the service is better, but because everyone and his cat on Live has got a headset, so if you want the best online gaming, and is willing to pay for it, get a 360.

However, if you want a varied selection of great games, and the highest-rated library if you look at the average of all the ratings, you should get the PS3.

If you do choose to get a 360... Well, Zetsubo shita!!! Kono sekai no Microsoft-labu ga zetsubo shita!!

Dude, you are the sex. Explanation was full of win. I'm not familiar with the suffix labu but i understood the rest. I will see if i can play Fable 2 and 3 on my bro's xbox360 before i move and get a ps3. I have made the informed choice of choosing a ps3 over the xbox360. Thank you very much man.

hoppipolla
August 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I tend to go for the 360, but price is the real killer for me - I don't have that kind of cash for a ps3.

360 also has excellent software and online features :)

Plus, Project Natal looks incredible!

The PS3... I love the Blu-Ray support and some exclusive titles like Killzone 2, but to me it just doesn't justify the price tag.

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I tend to go for the 360, but price is the real killer for me - I don't have that kind of cash for a ps3.

The PS3... I love the Blu-Ray support and some exclusive titles like Killzone 2, but to me it just doesn't justify the price tag.

Hello! Welcome to late 2009, the Xbox360 costs $300 and the PS3 costs $300. Mighty nice price difference if i do say so myself.

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Hello !

where u been?

ps3 slim $299 (http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/sony-debuts-slimmer-ps3/)

hoppipolla
August 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
But here in the UK, I can get a 360 for about £120 and a ps3 for like £250 or something nuts lol

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM
But here in the UK, I can get a 360 for about £120 and a ps3 for like £250 or something nuts lol

350 arcade no HD n other stuff missing, refurbished i believe (i mean 360)

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Read my post, I never said the 360 handles media better, I said it handles it well.

why yes, yes you did. my apologies. still don't agree with the rest.

mamamia88
August 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
well ps3 is more open. you can copy your gamesaves via usb. you can copy all your music to your harddrive via usb without ripping all your cds individually. you can install linux on older models. also, it has built in wireless and free online. the online isn't as good as xbox live but if you are like me and just hit "play now" it won't make a big difference i never had any lag on psn. the only way i say get a 360 is if you want to play first person shooters

ks07
August 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM
the only way i say get a 360 is if you want to play Halo
Corrected. :lolflag:

Seriously, if you're picking the console based on games and like FPSs there's little difference between the two. Resistance 2 is an amazing game, sadly it seemed to go rather unnoticed for the most part.

gnuvistawouldbecool
August 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Argos currently have a neat deal where you can get the 360 Pro plus 3 games (Halo 3, Halo Wars and Forza 2) for about £170.

Considering the Pro without that deal costs £160 or so, not bad. As to those particular games, well I won't review them because I'm biased to like Halo.

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 01:35 AM
the other advantage of the ps3 is upgrading our HDD. lol @ the 360's proprietary drive.

HappyFeet
August 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm looking at the PS3 because it has a lot out of the box, has a low failure rate, and isn't made by Microsoft.

Exactly. I'm not giving any more money to MS. But to each their own.

Gen2ly
August 31st, 2009, 02:03 AM
Personally the games the xbox has appeal to me more. As far as hardware goes the ps3 is probably more reliable (though I've never had a problem with mine). Why not start a poll and get everyone's views?

orlox
August 31st, 2009, 02:57 AM
Personally, I've never owned any of the consoles, but i'm thinking on saving some money to get a PS3 slim.

I have friends who own an xbox 360, but I can't get the idea of "buy what your friends have". If I own another console, I can switch it with others from now and then and get the best of both worlds...

Anyways, If im investing so much money on something, I want something that will probably last more than five years. No matter if microsoft replaces my console each time it fails, eventually support will cease to exist, and I think it will be a matter of time before all 360s find they're demise, and considering how long the 360 has been around, I dont think support will last too long. I certainly see myself 20 years from now taking the dust off my ps3 to replay MGS4.

Also, the PS3 is starting to get a serious boost, with awesome exclusives, and the price cut. An increase in the market share will probably bring developers to harness the true power of the ps3 cell proccesor, while, as far as Ive seen, the xbox 360 seems to be getting to its max capacity here...

And, just getting a little of topic...Does anyone really sees a need for another generation of consoles?? With the graphical and proccesing capabilities of the current ones, I think there's an infinite amount of possibilities to develop new great concepts. I certainly wouldn't buy a $400 brand new console tomorrow if it brings nothing more than improved graphics.

(P.D. Also, I think project natal will just bring a lot of gimmiky gameplay and crappy titles and perhaps 3 or 4 good hardcore games. However, I don't know how far the PS3 motion detecting controllers will get anyways)

Cortux
August 31st, 2009, 03:03 AM
When I got a ps3, i lost all my friends cause i gained a new best friend and spent all my time with it.

Its another world, and you can even do linux on it.:guitar:

madjr
August 31st, 2009, 03:38 AM
Personally, I've never owned any of the consoles, but i'm thinking on saving some money to get a PS3 slim.

I have friends who own an xbox 360, but I can't get the idea of "buy what your friends have". If I own another console, I can switch it with others from now and then and get the best of both worlds...

Anyways, If im investing so much money on something, I want something that will probably last more than five years. No matter if microsoft replaces my console each time it fails, eventually support will cease to exist, and I think it will be a matter of time before all 360s find they're demise, and considering how long the 360 has been around, I dont think support will last too long. I certainly see myself 20 years from now taking the dust off my ps3 to replay MGS4.

Also, the PS3 is starting to get a serious boost, with awesome exclusives, and the price cut. An increase in the market share will probably bring developers to harness the true power of the ps3 cell proccesor, while, as far as Ive seen, the xbox 360 seems to be getting to its max capacity here...

And, just getting a little of topic...Does anyone really sees a need for another generation of consoles?? With the graphical and proccesing capabilities of the current ones, I think there's an infinite amount of possibilities to develop new great concepts. I certainly wouldn't buy a $400 brand new console tomorrow if it brings nothing more than improved graphics.

(P.D. Also, I think project natal will just bring a lot of gimmiky gameplay and crappy titles and perhaps 3 or 4 good hardcore games. However, I don't know how far the PS3 motion detecting controllers will get anyways)

in 2 years i see nintendo and msft bringing in a new console

dragos240
August 31st, 2009, 03:42 AM
I would get a Dreamcast ;)

mrgnash
August 31st, 2009, 03:51 AM

Actually, Microsoft has stated that the Xbox 360 will have a ten-year lifespan, meaning that it will be supported until 2015. The only reason that the 360 was released so quickly after the Xbox, was so that they could get a jump on Sony (and it worked). With the success of the 360, however, they can afford to its sizeable install base with its continued high attach-rate for quite some time.

But yeah, if the PS3 is the console with the most exclusives that you're interested in playing, then that's the one you should go for, no doubt.

As for another generation of consoles, I don't think there's any hurry, as the current generation of machines (excluding the Wii) are pretty capable little beasts. They do have their limitations though, and eventually engines will come along that demand too much of their hardware; in fact, I'm surprised that ID's Tech 5 engine runs as well as it does on the PS3 and 360 (although it runs quite a bit better on the 360 at the moment), given how stunning it is.

afroman10496
August 31st, 2009, 03:57 AM
ps3 can dual-boot with Ubuntu... I'd give you a link but I'm typing from my Wii (man this is slow:))

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 03:57 AM
I would get a Dreamcast ;)

awesome system.

dragos240
August 31st, 2009, 04:09 AM
Also, the newer PS3 slims can't dual boot operating systems.

madjr
August 31st, 2009, 04:14 AM
get a girlfriend, they last up to 7 years, but the investment of time (tweaks/fixes), monies (new addons/peripherials: clothes) and frustrations (security threats and DDOS attacks) can be huge and in the end probably leave you heartbroken (system breakage)... :confused:

nvm get a console :guitar:

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 04:21 AM
Also, the newer PS3 slims can't dual boot operating systems.

linux was crap on it anyway.

dragos240
August 31st, 2009, 04:23 AM
linux was crap on it anyway.

Why? Was it just slow? I bet DSL would run just fine.

afroman10496
August 31st, 2009, 04:24 AM
Why? Was it just slow? I bet DSL would run just fine.

How bout Xubuntu?

dragos240
August 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM
How bout Xubuntu?

Xubuntu isn't that light anymore.

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 04:27 AM
yellowdog was slow yes. not wasting my time putting DSL on it though. not much of a point other than "hey look what i did"

mrgnash
August 31st, 2009, 04:29 AM
get a girlfriend, they last up to 7 years, but the investment of time (tweaks), monies (new addons/peripherials: clothes) and frustrations (security threats and DDOS attacks) can be huge and in the end probably leave you heartbroken... :confused:

nvm get a console :guitar:

Or get a boyfriend, they last until they network with other male systems at a LAN session (booze-up), at which time they format their hard drive and erase their installation of "Committed Relationship v.7" and run the "One Night Stand LiveCD." Should you manage to reinstall "Committed Relationship v.7", you will eventually encounter a known issue where the software enters an infinite loop when watching sports on TV. The only way to interrupt said loop is to hit ctrl+alt+delete (i.e. threaten to leave), or, if this fails, to perform a hard reboot (i.e. kick to the groin).

Just had to balance things out a bit :P

Unfortunately, I do not have sufficient "monies" (in terms of "mate value") to "purchase" (attract) the high-end girlfriend that I want, so for different reasons than those outlined in the quoted post, I too have settled for the sufficiently diverting, but non-loneliness-abating, console :D

sideaway
August 31st, 2009, 04:46 AM
Really? I find it the opposite.

Haha, guess it's personal preference :P

amitabhishek
August 31st, 2009, 05:13 AM
That's a no brainer; its got to be PS3! A Blu-ray player will alone cost upward of $300 so what essentially you are getting is a Blu-ray player with a free console.

madjr
August 31st, 2009, 05:51 AM
Or get a boyfriend, they last until they network with other male systems at a LAN session (booze-up), at which time they format their hard drive and erase their installation of "Committed Relationship v.7" and run the "One Night Stand LiveCD." Should you manage to reinstall "Committed Relationship v.7", you will eventually encounter a known issue where the software enters an infinite loop when watching sports on TV. The only way to interrupt said loop is to hit ctrl+alt+delete (i.e. threaten to leave), or, if this fails, to perform a hard reboot (i.e. kick to the groin).

Just had to balance things out a bit :P

Unfortunately, I do not have sufficient "monies" (in terms of "mate value") to "purchase" (attract) the high-end girlfriend that I want, so for different reasons than those outlined in the quoted post, I too have settled for the sufficiently diverting, but non-loneliness-abating, console :D

:lolflag:

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 05:55 AM
That's a no brainer; its got to be PS3! A Blu-ray player will alone cost upward of $300 so what essentially you are getting is a Blu-ray player with a free console.

clarification: a GOOD blu-ray will cost that much.

not only that, the ps3 will be sure to be getting any BD firmware updates unlike a lot of other standalone units.

amitabhishek
August 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
For folks who would like to fancy 'fat' ps3 for reasons other than gaming here are some interesting tidbits:

This (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9043942/PS3_cluster_creates_homemade_cheaper_supercomputer ?taxonomyId=67&pageNumber=1)

This (http://gravity.phy.umassd.edu/ps3.html)

&

This (http://www.ps3cluster.umassd.edu/step1setup.html)

graabein
August 31st, 2009, 09:08 AM

It's important for me. I was planning on using it for media center and file server running Linux.

madjr
September 3rd, 2009, 06:36 AM
uggh. just came across this vid and 360 is FAIL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RplTOe-nueQ&feature=channel) :/

didn't know u could have so many problems with a console..

and i actually thought of getting an used one from a "friend" >,<

pwnst*r
September 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
uggh. just came across this vid and 360 is FAIL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RplTOe-nueQ&feature=channel) :/

you're kidding me right?

emz414
September 5th, 2009, 11:34 PM

and i actually thought of getting an used one from a "friend" >,<
it's from micro$oft, what do you expect? :D

pwnst*r
September 5th, 2009, 11:47 PM
it's from micro$oft, what do you expect? :D

go away.

Jimleko211
September 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM
go away.
+1
I've always found my 360 to be incredibly stable.

orlox
September 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Well, that's something I didnt know...

Xbox 360 games are region dependant, which is nothing more than a software DRM lock.
The PS3 games in change, only suffer from the technical problems of NTSC vs PAL, but these dissapear if you use hdmi...

Dimitriid
September 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM
PS3 might pick some momentum but not much, take a good long look at their library and announced games. If you are happy with the selection go for it, if not there isn't much option but the 360, the best you can do then is make sure you check the warranty right away and call before the year is out to extend it, which will eventually save you $50 bucks because it WILL eventually break down, and I don't mean the 3 year warranty issues like RROD or E74 but something not covered like the optical drive.

mamamia88
September 6th, 2009, 04:12 AM
well both being the same price i say get ps3. hell now that ps3 is $300 i'm considering getting a second one. you would have to buy an extra $100 adaptor just to get wireless on the 360

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2009, 04:23 AM
well both being the same price i say get ps3. hell now that ps3 is $300 i'm considering getting a second one. you would have to buy an extra $100 adaptor just to get wireless on the 360

or $50 if you know what you're doing with networking.

mamamia88
September 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM
or $50 if you know what you're doing with networking.

still it's extra which is big deal for me since my ps3 is on complete opposite side of my house. don't give me wrong i love my 360 but this is one big drawback to it

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM
i undertsand, i have both. had an extra WRT54GL sitting around so used it as a wireless client bridge. now i have my 360, ps3, and networked receiver hooked up to it with an extra port left over and extended wireless in the house.

mamamia88
September 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
i undertsand, i have both. had an extra WRT54GL sitting around so used it as a wireless client bridge. now i have my 360, ps3, and networked receiver hooked up to it with an extra port left over and extended wireless in the house.

yeah i had one of those routers sitting around too and tried to use that wdt firmware but managed to brick the router so now it's a paperweight. lucky i have that logitech playlink which works great.

afroman10496
September 6th, 2009, 05:02 AM
there are a lot of good games for 360

drawkcab
September 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM
i think i'm going to buy one of those ps3 slims

i dont care about the games so much as I want the media center and blu-ray capabilities