PDA

View Full Version : Good fortran 2003 tutorials for a beginner?

pythonscript
August 30th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I've done a bit of programming in python, java, c++, php, perl, and html (I jump around a lot, obviously) and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good online tutorial for fortran 2003. The only even remotely good ones I've found have been for fortran 77 or stuff like that, and I'm hoping to find something at least close to modern. Thanks! I assume gfortran will compile these programs, right?

Claus7
October 20th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hello,

it depends...

For fortran 95/2003 I know the:
Metcalf, Michael; John Reid, Malcolm Cohen (2004). Fortran 95/2003 Explained. Oxford University Press.

which I have read. It is not recommended for beginners, yet it is nice for advanced users who with to have a quick reference book.

For 2003 compilers what you will find is ifort and gfortran (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gfortran-4.4), yet they include some of the features of 2003...

For beginners I would advice you to read some fortran 90/95 books will give you pretty much the notion behind that programming language. Then you will easily adapt yourself to the more advanced features of 2003, which I do not think that you will need, at least at the begging.

Regards!

pythonscript
October 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll keep these in mind.