PDA

View Full Version : DNS provider options - best deal?

bcn17
August 30th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Just last night I registered a domain name at dydns.com

They charged me $10 for registration

$10 for secret registration

and $30 for custom dns for 1 year.

I am now (afterwards...) doing some searching but having trouble wading through the advertisements.

I understand that I have to register my domain name with someone, however is there anyway I can get around the registration fee in the future, or does someone have to actively make sure that my domain name gets forwarded to the ip address I want it to be linked with. Is there anyway I can update the "big servers" out there once a year with proof of registration?

Or are there sites that will "link" your domain name with an ip for free?

Also, is the registration fee and annual fee? I don't really own it right? I'm just renting it. This then makes me wonder from who am I renting it from? Where does my registration fee go? Is it possible to do all of this without using a dns service?

I'm sort of looking for a map of how the business and technical aspects meet. Where could I potentially skip out on the services that they want me to buy and where do I HAVE to pay some $$ no matter what?

sandyd
August 30th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Just last night I registered a domain name at dydns.com

They charged me $10 for registration

$10 for secret registration

and $30 for custom dns for 1 year.

I am now (afterwards...) doing some searching but having trouble wading through the advertisements.

I understand that I have to register my domain name with someone, however is there anyway I can get around the registration fee in the future, or does someone have to actively make sure that my domain name gets forwarded to the ip address I want it to be linked with. Is there anyway I can update the "big servers" out there once a year with proof of registration?

Or are there sites that will "link" your domain name with an ip for free?

Also, is the registration fee and annual fee? I don't really own it right? I'm just renting it. This then makes me wonder from who am I renting it from? Where does my registration fee go? Is it possible to do all of this without using a dns service?

I'm sort of looking for a map of how the business and technical aspects meet. Where could I potentially skip out on the services that they want me to buy and where do I HAVE to pay some $$ no matter what?
ILl give you some advice.
get a refund (if you can) then go to everydns.net, register an account there.
go to namecheap, register an account there (They even offer free SSL certificates with the domain purchace!)then point your domain's nameservers at everydns.net.

everydns.net is extremely stable. and has only been down once or twice during the years.

as for cheaper domain registrations, you can choose to register a domain for more than a year. that will give you a discount.

bcn17
August 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
ILl give you some advice.

I didn't get my refund for registration or secret registration back but I did get my $30 custom DNS back. namecheap actually can't do domaingoeshere.name anyway. I don't know why different providers can only do certain TLDs.

Also, everydns.net is working great. And its free!

Thanks a ton!