PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] need a lightweight file manager with a good feature set

pythonscript
August 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I installed a command line only ubuntu, then stacked xfm and icewm on top of it. Now... I'm looking for a file manager! I'd like something that allows me to have icons placed on the desktop, basic left and right click features when navigating directories (copy, paste, delete, etc) but doesn't take up a lot of resources. I love nautilus... but I can't pull in half of gnome on this computer, so that's not an option. I've heard about dfm, but it's not in the repositories, is it? Thanks!

yabbadabbadont
August 30th, 2009, 03:09 AM
pcmanfm might be what you want. You might also try Thunar, but I'm not sure how much of xfce it will pull in.

oldos2er
August 30th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Midnight commander. Package name is mc.

kerry_s
August 30th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I installed a command line only ubuntu, then stacked xfm and icewm on top of it. Now... I'm looking for a file manager! I'd like something that allows me to have icons placed on the desktop, basic left and right click features when navigating directories (copy, paste, delete, etc) but doesn't take up a lot of resources. I love nautilus... but I can't pull in half of gnome on this computer, so that's not an option. I've heard about dfm, but it's not in the repositories, is it? Thanks!

pcmanfm or rox-filer, both can do desktop icons.
you'll get some gnome stuff that can't be helped, if you using synaptic make sure you uncheck the install recommends, that will limit the extra crap. in cli it's:
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends your-package's

pythonscript
September 5th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I went ahead and went with xfe. It doesn't have that many dependencies, but it does have a lot of nice features and a low memory footprint. Thanks for the help!

Camuflage
September 6th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Try wattOS is based on Ubuntu but uses LXDE which is lighter than Xubuntu!

pythonscript
September 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm actually leaning toward using LXDE, but I'm not going to use a different OS, I think. A command line ubuntu with lxde stacked on top of it seems pretty good.

coldReactive
September 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Try wattOS is based on Ubuntu but uses LXDE which is lighter than Xubuntu!

But Lubuntu will be an official distro starting with 9.10 ;)

moore.bryan
September 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I went ahead and went with xfe. It doesn't have that many dependencies, but it does have a lot of nice features and a low memory footprint. Thanks for the help!

+1

XFE is wickedly small and light.