PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no options in Hardware Drivers

bsmith1051
August 30th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I have a motherboard with an ATI chipset and built-in video. I have had lots and lots of problems with drivers! I gave-up on the USB compatibility and installed an add-in USB card, and after trying several suggestions to tweak the video finally gave-up and just used the default non-accelerated drivers.

Now there's a new driver from ATI that sounds like it finally works, but there doesn't seem to be any official support from Ubuntu? Worse, when I go into Administration > Hardware Drivers I no longer get any choices. Actually, I think the utility is crashing because it doesn't even report "No drivers available" -- the screen just remains blank.

Is there some way to troubleshoot the Hardware Drivers utility, maybe reset it's configuration (so that it generates a fresh one) ?

mikewhatever
August 30th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I suspect you have an older ATI card the support for which has been dropped. Mentioning the model might help verifying that.

Mark Phelps
August 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Since you're getting to a desktop in Ubuntu, it already installed the open source ATI drivers for you.

As mike indicated, you need to tell us the model number of your video card/chip. Most likely, it's one of the legacy models that ATI dropped from their driver support.l If that's the case, there are no restricted drivers available for it anymore.

bsmith1051
August 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
yes, it's an ATI 2100 which is the 'last' model not supported. I thought I made it clear that I understood there was no official support.

Nevermind. I thought there was something wrong with my Hardware Options app but maybe it really just is not finding anything to support.