PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky install

chriswyatt
August 30th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Sneakily installed Ubuntu on my Dad's computer today :) . My Dad hates change so chances are he won't use it, but I'll at least try to convert him.

bodyharvester
August 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM
lol nice one :popcorn:
be prepared for the finger-waggers of dishonesty :D

chriswyatt
August 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
If there's the smallest change on his computer he can get quite angry so this was possibly a bad idea, will see what happens when he tries to use it tomorrow. :roll:

CJ Master
August 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
That was totally dishonest, you should have respected his wishes.

Nburnes
August 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hopefully you just Wubied it or dual booted so he wouldn't lose all his Windows stuff......

bodyharvester
August 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM
just remember...deny everything:popcorn:

im waiting for the finger-waggers of dishonesty, i think its a good thing, you arent forcing it on him you are giving him a choice, and that is the greatest gift of all...ahhh

EDIT: in ref to post above i assume its a dual-boot situation

nothingspecial
August 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Sneakily installed Ubuntu on my Dad's computer today :) . My Dad hates change so chances are he won't use it, but I'll at least try to convert him.

I`d ground you for a month at least

Giant Speck
August 30th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Um, installing something on your father's computer without his knowledge or permission isn't giving him a choice.

What the hell were you thinking? "OMG! My daddy needs to be freeeeeee! He needs to see the light!"

bodyharvester
August 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Um, installing something on your father's computer without his knowledge or permission isn't giving him a choice.

this thread will be closed soon, i predict.

good luck with your dad, i hope it has a happy outcome

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 01:14 AM

i hope your Dad whoops you. i know i would.

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Hopefully you just Wubied it or dual booted so he wouldn't lose all his Windows stuff......

either way, it's not his to be messing with. second thought, on top of whooping him, i'd take away his pc/laptop/mobile device/internet for a month.

that'd teach him.

gletob
August 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM
either way, it's not his to be messing with. second thought, on top of whooping him, i'd take away his pc/laptop/mobile device/internet for a month.

that'd teach him.

Don't get me wrong with this, I think most of today's parents are to soft. But I think you're being a bit harsh. Personally I would've tested it out to make sure it worked (with live cd) and then give him the live cd, and let him try it. Surely your father couldn't be that stubborn (Oh wait yours could be just as mine is!):lolflag:

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Don't get me wrong with this, I think most of today's parents are to soft. But I think you're being a bit harsh. Personally I would've tested it out to make sure it worked (with live cd) and then give him the live cd, and let him try it. Surely your father couldn't be that stubborn (Oh wait yours could be just as mine is!):lolflag:

hm? from the OP's post it states he installed it without permission on his dad's pc, quite possibly over the windows partition. my comments are directed toward those actions, so i'm not sure where you're going with the live cd talk.

nothingspecial
August 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM

I just thought about this some more.

You need some serious discipline!

My computer has over 21000 flac files on it. This has taken me years to do. I have coverted hundreds of lps to flac.

(yes I have them backed up but some dads might not)

My tunes have permissions that don`t let my kids mess with them, but if one of them decided to enter the bios and change it to boot from cd and install another OS I can`t do much about it. (Except from banning them from the computer)

If one of them lost my music I would be so angry.

Many years ago, I got sent home from school for a week for smoking cigarettes. My dad took away all my records (sort of like cds but you had to look after them).

I`m trying to think what I would do in this situation. ........ No computer, no nintendo ds, no wii, no playstation, no ipod, no tv etc etc etc

I really hope you haven`t wiped your dad`s pc.

Tell us it`s a dual boot

TuckLive
August 30th, 2009, 01:35 AM
OP, surely you didn't completely wipe your dad's pc did you? If you did, I'll echo some earlier comments and say that it's not freeing your dad, but forcing him to use Ubuntu, which isn't what Open Source is about.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 30th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Chris Wyatt,

Fortunately it was your dad's computer. If it had been a company computer, you could go to jail for hacking. He probably will not press charges.

Very bad idea to install something on a computer without asking first.

NovaAesa
August 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM
lolzors, you're gunna get busted! Seriously, ask first before doing that sort of thing, otherwise you are asking for it!

sdlynx
August 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM
don't forget to set grub's timeout to 0 ^_^

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Oh, wow. I can't list on here what I'd do, for legal reasons of course. I will say, though, that it would involve tonnes of (metric) pain.

Exodist
August 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM

LOL if he ask tell him it was a windows update you had no part in.. lol!!

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
i would install KDE and say it's just a theme or you are testing a new "windows"

anyway the best thing you should had done is install a bunch of FOSS apps in his windows partition. That way when he uses linux he wouldn't notice much difference.

Ms_Angel_D
August 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have a 15 yr old and if he did something like this he would be on restriction for a very long time.

Did your parents ever teach you that you don't mess with things that don't belong to you? I mean I'm not trying to be rude, but how would you feel your dad installed Windows on your computer with out asking?

keiichidono
August 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM
He hasn't responded so i assume he's getting a can of whoop-*** right about now.

blackened
August 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
He hasn't responded so i assume he's getting a can of whoop-*** right about now.

It's unfortunate that we aren't born with a sense of respect for other peoples belongings. Some things have to be learned the hard way, ask my son and stepkids.

bodyharvester
August 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Some things have to be learned the hard way, ask my son and stepkids.

you give them a can of whoop-***?

LookTJ
August 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
This is not cool

If I ever did this to my dad, the Gov will throw me in jail.

[-X

ctrlmd
August 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Is he still alive :lolflag:

Echo "chris"

andras artois
August 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
If someone did that too my computer I would make their lives hell. Changing anything on someones computer is a pretty personal thing and I would imagine it's the same for most people on here.

You wouldn't like it if your dad did that to your pc so you shouldn't do it to him.

bodyharvester
August 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
def getChris():
if event.type == Chris.gets.whoop-***:
return True
print 'he got the whoop-***'
else:
return False
print 'he escaped the whoop-***'

:lolflag:

someone wanna mess with another language? haha

TheNosh
August 30th, 2009, 11:20 AM
If it had been a company computer, you could go to jail for hacking. He probably will not press charges.

this is very true, and i know of certain schools that will get mad if you boot puppy linux off a flash drive on their computers rather than using Xp even if you don't even mount their hard drive... not that i would ever do this... ever

..ahem, anyway... :-\"

(sometimes you just gotta play quake during study hall dammit)

hanzomon4
August 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM

What he said...

I'm against hitting kids.. but you're asking for it, I can't defend this. Not only is it disrespectful it's just not in the best interest of that thing you sit on.

Talk about putting your *** on the line for a cause... go cure cancer

TuckLive
August 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Ok, I think the OP has received a good beating from us. :wink:

t0p
August 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Has anyone noticed how long it's been since the OP posted?

If he doesn't put in an appearance soon someone ought to call the cops. There may have been a murder...

:o

TheNosh
August 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Has anyone noticed how long it's been since the OP posted?

If he doesn't put in an appearance soon someone ought to call the cops. There may have been a murder...

:o

or more likely his dad won't let him on the internet or near a computer for the next several years. :)

Elfy
August 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Well I doubt if this is going to go much further - I expect there is a suitablly chastened user somewhere ;)

I'll leave it open for a while longer though for anyone who wants to add anything that hasn't already been said ...

koleoptero
August 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
He should have installed opensolaris. That way he would definitely deserve a beating.

TheNosh
August 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM
He should have installed opensolaris. That way he would definitely deserve a beating.

might i ask how that's worse?

bodyharvester
August 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM
i hope he starts a new thread to tell us what happened, im so curious right now:confused:

koleoptero
August 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
might i ask how that's worse?

Have you done it? I did and it was a scary experience.

lukjad
August 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
You are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo dead.

TheNosh
August 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Have you done it? I did and it was a scary experience.

i haven't installed opensolaris myself, no. however i've played around with the live disk a fair amount, and i've used it on other people's computers. whats scary about it?

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
great thread.

would read again.

chriswyatt
August 31st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Didn't expect so many replies :) . My Dad hasn't been on his laptop yet, to be honest I have told him what Ubuntu is now, but he still isn't really sure what it is exactly and he's just a computer user and doesn't know any of the technicalities. He probably doesn't realise I've repartitioned or overwritten the MBR or anything like that.

Yes, I did dual boot, I'm not that reckless :) .

The way I see it it's a blessing to put Ubuntu on the computer, he's got enough free space for it. If XP messes up which it quite possibly would do, there's a fail safe in place. If my dad likes using Ubuntu he could stick with that and ditch XP. Either way he has the choice.

Before I leave my parents house which I'm only visiting over the weekend and Monday; I'll brief my Dad over what I've done, if he's not happy I'll set XP as default, if it really pisses my Dad off enough I'll just restore the Windows MBR over the GRUB one, sorted. Will make sure he's happy with it all tomorrow though.

TheNosh
August 31st, 2009, 04:29 AM
well it's good to know it's at least a dual boot, but i still think you should have told/asked him first.

steveneddy
August 31st, 2009, 06:06 AM
Didn't expect so many replies :) . My Dad hasn't been on his laptop yet, to be honest I have told him what Ubuntu is now, but he still isn't really sure what it is exactly and he's just a computer user and doesn't know any of the technicalities. He probably doesn't realise I've repartitioned or overwritten the MBR or anything like that.

The way I see it it's a blessing to put Ubuntu on the computer, he's got enough free space for it. If XP messes up which it quite possibly would do, there's a fail safe in place. If my dad likes using Ubuntu he could stick with that and ditch XP. Either way he has the choice.

Before I leave my parents house which I'm only visiting over the weekend and Monday; I'll brief my Dad over what I've done, if he's not happy I'll set XP as default, if it really pisses my Dad off enough I'll just restore the Windows MBR over the GRUB one, sorted. Will make sure he's happy with it all tomorrow though.

I think I would have discussed with him first before installing any software on his PC without his permission or knowledge.

One daughter of mine loved Linux, the other Windows.

I never tried to convert the Windows user to Linux, but when she asked for a new laptop for college (Junior year) I bought a System76 laptop with Intrepid and told her that it was Ubuntu or the old lappie back.

She learned Ubuntu quickly and now prefers it.

But I still have her old Windows laptop and it still has Windows on it.

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM

It's good to know you dual booted, are alive, and not a minor so he can't ground you into meat. Hopefully he likes it, I know my mom did when I switched us over. Didn't do it quite as dramatically as you but hey.. 10 points for guts

SacValleyDweller
August 31st, 2009, 06:29 AM
.. 10 points for guts

....and 15 demerits for breaking the cardinal rule of "If it aint yours, DONT TOUCH IT!"

TheNosh
August 31st, 2009, 06:33 AM
....and 15 demerits for breaking the cardinal rule of "If it aint yours, DONT TOUCH IT!"

+1, at least not without permission.

Giant Speck
August 31st, 2009, 06:34 AM
Saying you dual-booted it doesn't really make you a better person. You still should have asked permission before installing it. What would you have done or said if you screwed up the installation?

SacValleyDweller
August 31st, 2009, 06:42 AM
Saying you dual-booted it doesn't really make you a better person. You still should have asked permission before installing it. What would you have done or said if you screwed up the installation?
I second these sentiments! You'da been on your dad's sh** list for sure!

Warpnow
August 31st, 2009, 06:45 AM
I knew there was a reason my computer case has a key.

Can't get to the power button without it. :D

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 06:52 AM
....and 15 demerits for breaking the cardinal rule of "if it aint yours, dont touch it!"

+1

Elfy
August 31st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Now the OP has returned I will close this as I said I would do.