PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation help

phoriuh
August 30th, 2009, 12:08 AM
im trying to download ubuntu and when i hit install it loads and everythibg then my computer just goes into standby mode. then if i press the power button it just says take disk out of tray and close press enter to continue. so i do it then my computer turns off and nothing happens, i still have windows xp. does anyone know why its doing this? it even does it when i just try ubuntu and not installibg it

overdrank
August 30th, 2009, 12:29 AM
im trying to download ubuntu and when i hit install it loads and everythibg then my computer just goes into standby mode. then if i press the power button it just says take disk out of tray and close press enter to continue. so i do it then my computer turns off and nothing happens, i still have windows xp. does anyone know why its doing this? it even does it when i just try ubuntu and not installibg it

Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs? Also have you checked the cd for errors and the checksum on the iso HowToMD5SUM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM)

phoriuh
August 30th, 2009, 02:00 AM
well i cant log on because my windows xp expired. and idk what to tell you but heres what i found when i booted up the bios screen.
CPU Type: Celeron
CPU Speed: 667 MHz

System Memory: 640 KB
Extended Memory: 320 MB
Cache Ram: 128 KB

and i also check the disk for problems or whatever and it said there were none

phoriuh
August 30th, 2009, 02:24 AM
okay nevermind i found some stuff

System Model: Emachines
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~664 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies LTD Version 1.01, 7/5/2000
Total Physical Memory: 320 MB
Available Physical Memory: 216.67 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB
Page File Space: 773.43 MB

wasnt sure what you needed so i put down everything that looks important.

phoriuh
August 30th, 2009, 03:10 AM
wowwwwww this forum doesnt help at all

lisati
August 30th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Patience! Try not to "bump (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_%28Internet%29)" your thread more than once in a 24-hour period.

The 320Mb RAM might be OK but a little more probably wouldn't hurt.....

overdrank
August 30th, 2009, 03:19 AM
With that amount of memory I will suggest the alternate cd (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate).

phoriuh
August 30th, 2009, 03:22 AM
the cd i have i ordered in the mail. but i will try one of the iso files

presence1960
August 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM
with that little RAM available your best bet might be the alternate text based installer. get it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate)
Or add more RAM.

wowwwwww this forum doesnt help at all

Those of us on here are not paid support. We do this in our spare time because we want to do it. I would suggest a little more patience on your part since we are not paid to take that kind of stuff. I along with most, if not all of this community will gladly help you. For myself excuse me if I have to take care of my daughter before I can try to help you. I am not being a wise guy and I want you to get Ubuntu running if you really want it, but you really should adjust your attitude. You might have gotten more help by now.

tal007
August 30th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Before you attempt to install Ubuntu visit the Ubuntu site, read the installation requirements. If all these are met, then on with your mission.

First, make sure the iso image is transfered to your CD or DVD whatever you are using properly. Image burning is different from copying data on to your CD or DVD.

Second, make sure that your Hard drive has enough space on it. The space has to be unused, unoccupied by other operating system such Xp, Vista, .. etc.

Third, be patient. It takes some time for installation CD to bring up a screen on to your Desktop. It silently for some time examines your system and then after that if everything right it will present you a installation menu.

Give some time to see. If nothing happens, then you have to focus on some other things.