PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing Mint 7 on top of Ubuntu 904

rmcellig
August 29th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my PC in dual boot with XP Pro. Works fine. Is it possible to install Linux mint 7 on top of my installed Ubuntu? I really like the look and feel of Mint 7.

LMZKJ
August 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
You can install Mint over the Ubuntu install. When you are running the installer, one of the options for partitioning the disk should be to remove linux partitions. It will install in that same place as Ubuntu and should not effect your dual boot setup.

rmcellig
August 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info. On another somewhat related issue, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 with the Side by side option in the installer window. Now it appears that when Ubuntu launches I notice that there is hardly any space left on the drive. I have over 200GB of free space on my HD. What should I do? If I need to uninstall Ubuntu and start over again, how do I do this?

LMZKJ
August 29th, 2009, 10:23 PM
There may be a better way than this to setup mint, but I would use the manual partitioner during the install to shrink the windows partition (if that is where the 200 GB free space is) and expand the overall space for your linux install. You have to be certain of what disks contain what file system when using the manual method, but it will get you where you want to be.

rmcellig
August 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM
My C drive with XP Pro is 370GB in size. There are two other partitions one being 2.33GB in size and the other 173MB. Obviously not enough space to run Ubuntu properly. What should I do so that I can increase the partion size of Ubuntu to something way larger as well as the swap partition?

Do you think I should start all over again? If so, how can I delete/uninstall ubuntu without affecting my PC partition? What are my options. Thanks!!!