PDA

View Full Version : Messing with Kubuntu?

running_rabbit07
August 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I am loading Kubuntu in Virtual Box to see how much difference it really is. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few different programs for getting things done.

1. Does OpenOffice work the same as it does in Ubuntu?

2. What is the good quality program for editing music?

3. VLC the best for Video playback?

4 Does Virtual Box work as well on Kubuntu?

5. Does Thunderbird work well in Kubuntu?

Thanks for your time and replies.

NormanFLinux
August 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Kubuntu is a fork of Ubuntu that uses KDE instead of GNOME as the default desktop environment. They both use the same repositories. And they can run applications from both DE's with no problems. It all depends on one's needs.

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I am loading Kubuntu in Virtual Box to see how much difference it really is. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few different programs for getting things done.

2. What is the good quality program for editing music?

3. VLC the best for Video playback?

4 Does Virtual Box work as well on Kubuntu?

5. Does Thunderbird work well in Kubuntu?

Thanks for your time and replies.

1. yes, its pre-installed

2. don't know

3. Dragon (pre-installed) is also quite good, with VLC I had some sound issues and as I did not need it (Dragon...) I removed it

4. yes

5. I guess but Kontact, the groupware program in KDE is also quite nice. It includes Mail, calendar, RSS feed reader, sticky notes... and so on

to get Gnome programs optical integrated into KDE, I recommend to install the package gtk-qt-engine.

binbash
August 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Dragon is crap. VLC is a must.

RATM_Owns
August 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
The biggest difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is that they use a different desktop environment. They have some different apps, but besides that, they're mostly identical.

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Dragon is crap. VLC is a must.

okay, is there anything which proves this? What can VLC do, what Dragon can't?

running_rabbit07
August 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
to get Gnome programs optical integrated into KDE, I recommend to install the package gtk-qt-engine.

Cool, I just did that. Thanks for the info.

What can VLC do, what Dragon can't?

I will give them both a try.

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Cool, I just did that. Thanks for the info.

maybe you also have to go into systemsettings --> Appearance --> gtk styles and fonts (category on the lefthand side) and choose "use my KDE style in GTK applications" if it is not done automaticly.

Skripka
August 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Kubuntu is a fork of Ubuntu that uses KDE instead of GNOME as the default desktop environment.

It is not a fork.

It is the same old same old Ubuntu with a different GUI, and a few different default apps.

HappinessNow
August 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM

1. try Koffice in KDE

la boom
August 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
The biggest difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is that they use a different desktop environment. They have some different apps, but besides that, they're mostly identical.

Kubuntu is graphically more advanced. :P

Plus Gnome is for evil doers.

hoppipolla
August 29th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Kubuntu is graphically more advanced. :P

Plus Gnome is for evil doers.

Well that's that then ^_^

In honesty though I find at the moment... a lot of the best KDE apps are Gnome apps ._. As a bit of a KDE fanboy, I must admit that the buggy, incomplete early 4.x incarnations coupled with the transition to the new toolkit seem to have greatly weakened a lot of the Qt apps such as Kopete and Amarok, they will take a little while to catch up with Gnome equivalents again such as Pidgin and Banshee.

We could use the KDE 3.x versions, but I doubt these are still maintained very much and so will fall behind the game fairly fast I'd guess.

Give it time, things will catch up with themselves again :)

Oh and for the record I think Banshee in KDE 4.3 (at present) crashes and then pulls the entire DE down with it xD

macogw
August 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Dragon worked fine for me on Jaunty. Kaffeine works fine for me on Karmic. Meh. I've never had a use for VLC.

mmix
August 30th, 2009, 02:30 AM
slightly offtopic, but i can only image that haiku os' GUI will replace linux's xorg/kde/gnome.

inobe
August 30th, 2009, 03:11 AM
xine is an exceptional front end for kubuntu.