PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] ati driver update made the system unstable

manusha
August 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi,
i have been using ubuntu 8.xx for some time and used the ati driver provided by AMD with my graphics "card Radeon X800 GTO" and it worked without any problem.Last week i upgraded the system to ubuntu 9.xx and the upgraded system worked fine but some times i felt that the graphic rendering is not smooth. For this reason i downloaded the the ati driver "ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run" and installed it. It was installed without any errors, but when i tried to restart the x-server after installation everything got stuck. When i restarted the machine it started to give errors like "Kwin crashed repeatedly" and asked me to select some other window manager. (i was usinb KDE and compiz-fusion). Now i cant run compiz-fusion either.). Now Kwin does not run at all and when i run compiz --replace from console, even console exits.

in addition, when i run "aticonfig", it says No supported adapters detected. Is this because x800 GTO is not supported with this new driver? If so, how can i rollback to the earlier driver? Even if i do that, i will be having that rendering problem, so how can i fix it if i cant find a proper ati driver for ubuntutu 9.xx.

thank you.

manusha
August 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Hi
i managed to rollback the driver, so that the system is i the previous state now. How do i check whether this new installation supports my card?

Thanks