PDA

View Full Version : Just got payed $100 to install 7zip.

swoll1980
August 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM
People are stupid. This guy wanted to open 7zip files that his sister sent him. He asked her how to do it, and she told him she payed some guy to install it. He calls me up, and asked me how much. I said $100 and he was more than happy to pay it. A 5 second search on the Internet would have saved him $100. What's the easiest $100 you ever made?

Eisenwinter
August 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
:lolflag:

I wouldn't call him "stupid", I would define his actions as "fear of technology".

leef
August 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM
People are stupid. This guy wanted to open 7zip files that his sister sent him. He asked her how to do it, and she told him she payed some guy to install it. He calls me up, and asked me how much. I said $100 and he was more than happy to pay it. A 5 second search on the Internet would have saved him $100. What's the easiest $100 you ever made?

So when are you going to donate;

7-Zip Donate Link (http://www.7-zip.org/register.html)

steeleyuk
August 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Theres nothing wrong with being paid to install software but to charge $100 for it is the equivalent (IMO) of scamming someone. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have charged anyone to install 7zip...

Kingsley
August 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Nice work. I wonder how much his sister paid to get 7-Zip installed.

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Theres nothing wrong with being paid to install software but to charge $100 for it is the equivalent (IMO) of scamming someone. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have charged anyone to install 7zip...

this

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Swoll, you're fitting into the industry quite nicely.

Reminds me of when I charged some guy $100 just to install Microsoft Office. He provided me with the disc, I just opened the tray, inserted it, clicked install, typed in the key, and hit Continue.

jaxxstorm
August 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Oh - and the correct way of spelling it is "paid"

PurposeOfReason
August 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I'd say that is a big much, but it is a doggy dog world out there.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM
but it is a doggy dog world out there.

10lols

juancarlospaco
August 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I dont think that is stupid,
how much cost an enterprise license of WinRAR in example...???

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
you got my support matey ;):lolflag:

cariboo
August 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Please keep it civil.

I know that for all of us installing software is a trivial matter, but some people are so afraid of breaking their computer, that they don't want to install any software themselves.

For those of use in the business, this is what we do. There is nothing wrong with trying to make a decent living repairing computers, and if that includes getting paid for installing free software, so be it.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Please keep it civil.

I know that for all of us installing software is a trivial matter, but some people are so afraid of breaking their computer, that they don't want to install any software themselves.

For those of use in the business, this is what we do. There is nothing wrong with trying to make a decent living repairing computers, and if that includes getting paid for installing free software, so be it.
Hate to say it, but the business really is playing on people's ignorance. It's not like taking your car to a mechanic, where the workers have specialized tools. Repairing computers most of the time can be done by the home user, if they take the time to learn about it. There are only a few specialized tools for the job, and many of those are rarely ever used.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Please keep it civil.

7-zip isnt entirely free is it? or winrar? i thought there were limits to their uses unless you buy a fully licensed version

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
7-zip isnt entirely free is it? or winrar? i thought there were limits to their uses unless you buy a fully licensed version

7-zip is open source. It is also free.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
7-zip is open source. It is also free.
Some of the Windows plugins aren't entirely free. Such as Rar.

cariboo
August 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM

This is the 7zip license (http://www.7-zip.org/license.txt)

Hate to say it, but the business really is playing on people's ignorance. It's not like taking your car to a mechanic, where the workers have specialized tools. Repairing computers most of the time can be done by the home user, if they take the time to learn about it. There are only a few specialized tools for the job, and many of those are rarely ever used.

If people knew how to maintain their computers there would no reason for use to charge for computer repairs, but most people just want their systems to work, without having to learn anything new.

jaxxstorm
August 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I understand the argument that people should be paid for solving problems for the end user, that is perfectly acceptable.

However, charging over the odds for a service is preying on the weak and pretty corrupt. I understand people need to make a living, but charging $100 for installing free software just seems wrong to me.

Hey-ho.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
If people knew how to maintain their computers there would no reason for use to charge for computer repairs, but most people just want their systems to work, without having to learn anything new.

But the countless (easy to get in reality) plaques of qualifications look so nice in my office. :)

BigSilly
August 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I understand the argument that people should be paid for solving problems for the end user, that is perfectly acceptable.

However, charging over the odds for a service is preying on the weak and pretty corrupt. I understand people need to make a living, but charging $100 for installing free software just seems wrong to me.

Hey-ho.

I have to agree. It's one thing to make a living, but another thing entirely to charge this kind of price for such a simple matter. Why couldn't you just have charged, I dunno, about $20 or something? What was the situation that you felt $100 was a fair price?

It's such a shame, because it just perpetuates a fear of the home computer.

cariboo
August 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Hey-ho.

Are we even sure the op's customer even knew or cared that the software is free?

But the countless (easy to get in reality) plaques of qualifications look so nice in my office. :)

Yes a bunch of certificates on the wall look good, although for a couple of mine I had to put in a 4 year apprenticeship (not related to computers). :)

steeleyuk
August 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
This actually reminds me of a TV show in the UK called rogue traders. The show was about dodgy tradesmen who had been reported several times about overcharging for simple jobs/jobs that didn't need doing. So they fit cameras in the house, create a small but easy to fix job (such as loosening a bolt) and then arrange for a visit from the tradesman.

You can guess what happens next... and how much it costs. :D

I could be on to something here but all to do with computer repairs...

Paqman
August 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM
For those of use in the business, this is what we do.

Your rate is $100/min? Ouch.

Elfy
August 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Well it's not been kept civil - closed.

cariboo
August 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM
If you want specifics of what it costs to run my single person business per month I can give them to you, I charge less than $100.00 an hour, but not much less.