PDA

View Full Version : Windows Loses Money, Linux Nears the $1 Billion Mark (News Topic)

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Was just looking through linuxtoday, and found this article just recently linked to/posted. Article posted at news.softpedia. Though not a huge surprise to me, I find it amusing still. ^.^

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a time when Microsoft is feeling the full impact of the global economic downturn, the open-source Linux operating system is flourishing. While Windows client revenue has let the Redmond company suffering in the 2009 fiscal year, producing three quarters inferior when compared to FY2008, Linux revenue continues to grow and is right on track of making the open-source OS a $1 billion a year business. Market analysis firm IDC estimates that between 2008 and 2013 Linux revenue will deliver a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of no less than 16.9%.

"The economic downturn is impacting nearly every IT market segment and has placed its mark on the Linux server operating environment and client operating environment markets,” revealed Al Gillen, program vice president, System Software at IDC. “The long-term prognosis for Linux is good, but we see 2009 as a turning point for the nature of Linux adoption and deployment, as customers rationalize through the new economic realities and factor in other considerations such as the best way to use virtualization software. In the end, the markets of tomorrow are going to behave differently than the markets of the past."

IDC forecasts that Linux revenue will pass the $1 billion mark in 2012, and in just a single year it will grow by an additional $200 million, reaching $1.2 billion by 2013. Meanwhile, following years of growth, Windows revenue has been shrinking since the end of 2008. For the past three fiscal quarters ending with mid-2009, Windows client revenue has been considerably smaller compared to the same quarters of FY2008.

Complete Story (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Loses-Money-Linux-Nears-the-1-Billion-Mark-120207.shtml)

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
\\:d/

:cool:

Copernicus1234
August 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
With the support of Google releasing lots of good open source applications for Linux, Linux is going to become a real threat to Microsoft. They cant compete with Google + the entire open source community alone. They have nobody to help them either. Yahoo doesnt even count.

The King is dead. Long live the King!

:)

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
With the support of Google releasing lots of good open source applications for Linux, Linux is going to become a real threat to Microsoft. They cant compete with Google + the entire open source community alone. They have nobody to help them either. Yahoo doesnt even count.

Yahoo? Who uses Yahoo any more? :p Though yes, Google is most likely going to help push Open Source software to the front, I'm worried that Google is a Wolf in Sheep's clothing, who's to say once Google beats M$ they won't start clamping like M$ or apple?

Copernicus1234
August 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
They will, you can count on that. Google will become the next Microsoft and I dont think they will be any better. But at least we get some kind of significant change of leadership in the IT industry. Its really needed for making progress and bringing technology into the next decade.

chriskin
August 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM

well, the king isn't really dead, just having some bad time
we will be able to say that after Linux gets more market share than mac has

spoons
August 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Microsoft is a sleeping giant, they're slow moving and take a long time to react but they can really produce some good stuff when the market necessitates it. Hopefully the competition between Apple, Google and MS will force them to produce better products and keep Microsoft busy enough to stop shouting OMG PATENTS!

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Gist of it:

A pebble is thrown at Microsoft, Microsoft says "Ow!", Microsoft goes about its way.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM
wasnt there a story about a guy who threw a pebble at a giant and the giant died.. ;)

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
wasnt there a story about a guy who threw a pebble at a giant and the giant died.. ;)
Godzilla? I think a few missiles can be attributed to that.

mrgnash
August 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
They will, you can count on that. Google will become the next Microsoft and I dont think they will be any better. But at least we get some kind of significant change of leadership in the IT industry. Its really needed for making progress and bringing technology into the next decade.

No, you can't count on that. Google aren't being nice now because they're some kind of under-dog, because they're not.

jpkotta
August 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Misleading title, they didn't lose money, their revenue shrunk. It's great for Linux, but "the king is dead" is not even on the radar.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Godzilla? I think a few missiles can be attributed to that.

haha. the new godzilla film wasnt too bad but the older ones are funnier

Ms_Angel_D
August 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM

I believe your referring to David & Goliath...

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM

yup, that 'un. :D

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I think a few missiles can be attributed to that also.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I think a few missiles can be attributed to that also.

an object in flight can be described as a missile

–noun 1. an object or weapon for throwing, hurling, or shooting, as a stone, bullet, or arrow.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
an object in flight can be described as a missile

–noun 1. an object or weapon for throwing, hurling, or shooting, as a stone, bullet, or arrow.
I hate where they didn't write about the carpet bombing after the Codename: Pebble homing becon was launched.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I hate where they didn't write about the carpet bombing after the Codename: Pebble homing becon was launched.

history is written by the winners, Goliath was more likely a peasant who had the guts to stand up and fight the ruthless shepherder guy of Mordor

Swagman
August 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Umm..

Goliath was Nephilim, he had a giant brother too.

David Slew Goliath with a slingshot. Bl00dy good shot too.

Bölvaður
August 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM
history is written by the winners, Goliath was more likely a peasant who had the guts to stand up and fight the ruthless shepherder guy of Mordor

or a guy with a decease that had thin skull, and might die because of a blunt object tossed gently at him.

scholars agree that goliath was either like that or did not exist at all.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM
or a guy with a decease that had thin skull, and might die because of a blunt object tossed gently at him.

scholars agree that goliath was either like that or did not exist at all.

if the "story" has any truth to it i choose to believe he faked his death ;) him and david were in cahoots

sydbat
August 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
if the "story" has any truth to it i choose to believe he faked his death ;) him and david were in cahootsAnd then David used him as his "secret weapon" to keep things...in line...

Back on topic, I agree that headlines like this are misleading. Companies justify layoffs, etc because they have "lost money", when the reality is they have not made as much as expected.

Sure, not making as much as they expected has "hurt" Microsoft, but they are a very long way from bankruptcy (or going out of business).

The good news from the article is that Linux is a serious option for business to move to. With the current negative economy (that can change quickly to a positive...and has in many sectors), it is a good time for those in positions to do so, to advance the idea of using Linux before the money starts flowing again and Microsoft starts benefiting. (not an anti-Microsoft bash, just a note that competition is good for all business)

cprofitt
August 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM
well, the king isn't really dead, just having some bad time
we will be able to say that after Linux gets more market share than mac has

I believe, when taken as a whole, that Linux already has more market share than Apple.

Copernicus1234
August 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM
No, you can't count on that. Google aren't being nice now because they're some kind of under-dog, because they're not.

No, Im not saying they are underdogs. But all large corporations turn "evil". Its in the nature of the beast.

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM
i believe, when taken as a whole, that linux already has more market share than apple.

+1

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I believe, when taken as a whole, that Linux already has more market share than Apple.
I... actually do not deny this. This may very well be correct.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 07:08 PM
does "market share" include governments and companies and such?

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
does "market share" include governments and companies and such?
Includes everybody, everywhere.

sydbat
August 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I... actually do not deny this. This may very well be correct.I've marked my calendar...:P:biggrin:

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I've marked my calendar...:P:biggrin:

I etched the date into Bill Gate's house, shortly before being chased out by dogs and security. :lolflag:

RabbitWho
August 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Pretty bias report, windows isn't loosing money it's just making less money, and when windows 7 comes out that will change.

[masternetra I love your avie]

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Pretty bias report, windows isn't loosing money it's just making less money, and when windows 7 comes out that will change.

[masternetra I love your avie]

I think he's awesome too!

HermanAB
August 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
...so these devices are sold for only $3 each?

Clearly, $1 billion is a serious underestimation.

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Novell has presented the quarter finance report

http://www.novell.com/news/press/novell-reports-financial-results-for-third-fiscal-quarter-2009

Novells Linux department is grown by 20%. Not as much as Red Hat http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2009/q1.html

but anyway.

Linux is growing. Thats great.

Sure, when one reads the numbers, how much money Red Hat as the biggest Linuxcompany for example has and compares them to Microsoft, you see that Red Hat is small.
But its grown just on Linux!

NormanFLinux
August 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Linux is not going to replace Windows on the desktop any time soon. Like it or not for most people Windows just works and for the vast majority of them that means one of two flavors of Windows 7: Home Premium for home users and Professional for small businesses and IT corporate networks. Windows has the hardware support and runs most software. Linux is not there yet and in all likelihood will never be.

donkyhotay
August 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Linux is not going to replace Windows on the desktop any time soon. Like it or not for most people Windows just works and for the vast majority of them that means one of two flavors of Windows 7: Home Premium for home users and Professional for small businesses and IT corporate networks. Windows has the hardware support and runs most software. Linux is not there yet and in all likelihood will never be.

I think open source (if not linux) will eventually win out over proprietary in the long run. The real question is when. I'm hoping it will happen in the (relatively) near future of being within 50 years. The alternative is a mess of DRM, patents, and copyrights that stifles innovation to the point where our descendents wish they lived in a society that had as much freedom as Oceania does in 1984.

Copernicus1234
August 29th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I think open source (if not linux) will eventually win out over proprietary in the long run. The real question is when. I'm hoping it will happen in the (relatively) near future of being within 50 years. The alternative is a mess of DRM, patents, and copyrights that stifles innovation to the point where our descendents wish they lived in a society that had as much freedom as Oceania does in 1984.

Well, the good thing about computer technology is that there always is a way around oppressive measures. Someone will always offer a way for people to be free.

I have no high hopes for the majority to even understand that they are not free with Windows. It seems to be a difficult thing to understand.

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM

anyway... despite your really hard :rolleyes: bringing-people-down-on-the-surface-of-reality, Linuxcompanies have grown and enhanced their revenues. Thats what this topic is about - its not about "windows rulez" ;)

The software world is more than "Windows just works". The growing revenues of Linux prove this.

NormanFLinux
August 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I agree with that and would love to have Linux become a viable alternative. Nothing threatens Microsoft's dominance of the PC market and even its most visible rival Apple has its own market and doesn't seek to compete on PCs because its both a hardware/software company.

Chronon
August 29th, 2009, 10:26 PM
It is a viable alternative now for an increasing number of people.

hoppipolla
August 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Wooooooooo! This is good to hear :)

I mean, of course it's a shame if it's partly due to the recession and stuff but I think the quality delivered by Linux-based OSs is picking up pace also.

Let's see what the next 5 years bring.. :)

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 11:39 PM
what is really strange to me is:

at work we have mostly Windows Desktops for the normal work. When it comes to really tough and challenging things like simulation and calculating big processes and so on... we have Linux. So the hard jobs where you need to have a reliable and robust system are done with Linux.

I always ask myself, why do they need Windows? E-mail, textprocessing, spreadsheats, presentations - all can be done in Linux... so they just could use one OS for everything.

I can't understand this... and it seems to me like: "we have to give windows a job over here, even when we have no job for it - it has to be" ... really strange.

MasterNetra
August 30th, 2009, 12:53 AM

at work we have mostly Windows Desktops for the normal work. When it comes to really tough and challenging things like simulation and calculating big processes and so on... we have Linux. So the hard jobs where you need to have a reliable and robust system are done with Linux.

I always ask myself, why do they need Windows? E-mail, textprocessing, spreadsheats, presentations - all can be done in Linux... so they just could use one OS for everything.

I can't understand this... and it seems to me like: "we have to give windows a job over here, even when we have no job for it - it has to be" ... really strange.

Well for the moment I have XP running on my old desktop in order to run my MagicJack. :/

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Well for the moment I have XP running on my old desktop in order to run my MagicJack. :/

so you mean because of strange programs and so on...?

At work we have no strange things. The most used app is an E-mail program. And Office. Thats it.
Maybe some special cases are CAD, but then the normal desktops could be Linux anyway.

MasterNetra
August 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
so you mean because of strange programs and so on...?

At work we have no strange things. The most used app is an E-mail program. And Office. Thats it.
Maybe some special cases are CAD, but then the normal desktops could be Linux anyway.

Yea, its a temporary solution, sense MagicJack doesn't run in wine and doesn't like VM's either. Otherwise I would be Windows-free... Well theres CS3/CS4 apps but I'll try to get those running under wine.

aikiwolfie
August 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah there was. It's in the same book about the magic man in the sky who is all powerful and can see you everywhere you go and knows everything you've done! Just can't seem to get a grip on his finaces though. So we're all supposed to donate all our cash for all eternity.

I think Steve Ballmer might have read that book.

These days if you throw a pebble at Microsoft it stomps on you and squishes you out of existence. Microsoft knows the power of public perception. Nothing can be seen to challenge Microsoft.

MasterNetra
August 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah there was. It's in the same book about the magic man in the sky who is all powerful and can see you everywhere you go and knows everything you've done! Just can't seem to get a grip on his finaces though. So we're all supposed to donate all our cash for all eternity.

I think Steve Ballmer might have read that book.

These days if you throw a pebble at Microsoft it stomps on you and squishes you out of existence. Microsoft knows the power of public perception. Nothing can be seen to challenge Microsoft.

lol eh what the heck are you talking about in the first paragraph?

chris4585
August 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Yahoo? Who uses Yahoo any more? :p Though yes, Google is most likely going to help push Open Source software to the front, I'm worried that Google is a Wolf in Sheep's clothing, who's to say once Google beats M$ they won't start clamping like M$ or apple?

So what if Google decides to go the way Microsoft and Apple went? I'd embrace them for all the years they did things right, they deserve that at least.

aikiwolfie
August 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM

It's a legacy from the dark ages. Once upon a time everybody standardised on the IBM-PC. The IBM-PC ran MS-DOS and then Windows. Most companies haven't yet figured out there are alternatives.

Even worse, their IT staff either don't know or won't tell because they'd need to do some retraining. All their very expensive MSCEs or whatever they're called would be redundant if everybody shifted to an alternative OS.

A lot of companies have sunk endless amounts of money into Windows training and infrastructure. A lot of those companies have share holders who want to see the return on their investment.

So some companies can't change even if they wanted to. It's product lock-in of the worst kind. Companies are locked into Microsofts product because they are "afraid" to change.

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Even worse, their IT staff either don't know or won't tell because they'd need to do some retraining. All their very expensive MSCEs or whatever they're called would be redundant if everybody shifted to an alternative OS.

I haven't seen any MCSE's that didn't have at least 1 Linux certification. I have 4.

aikiwolfie
August 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
lol eh what the heck are you talking about in the first paragraph?

Oh somebody was refering to the David and Goliath story from the Bible. Many people believe and worship the Jewish, Christian, Muslim god because they are afraid not to. In the process of this worship they donate endless amounts of money to their respective religions. The leasers of which are generally well kept and living a very comfortable life style.

It's not so far removed from how Microsoft operates. One of Microsofts marketing methods is stirring up fear and uncertainty. Which results in people pouring in endless amounts of cash to Microsofts coffers.

After all the special offers are gone Windows 7 will cost something on the order of £300! Maybe a bit less. That's a huge outlay for an OS that's going to be replaced in two or three years. Especially considering there are other ways of funding OS development.

And that's all before you start to ask hard questions like why does every new version of Windows need a whole new PC or at least an upgrade? Linux programmers seem to manage just fine. New features get added all the time. Our hardware just keeps on working. The OS stays responsive and agile. The same goes for the Mac. Apple aren't selling new hardware to all Mac owners every single time they bring out a new OS. Their kit is just too expensive.

aikiwolfie
August 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Good to know. Sadly I've know a few.